Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LT Myth or not?

This is a discussion on LT Myth or not? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ^^^You should be ok, might have a problem with the cats not working perfectly since they are put farther downstream ...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^You should be ok, might have a problem with the cats not working perfectly since they are put farther downstream due to your LTs, but probably not. I've read here about a few people who've done that with no issues.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    My experience:

With only lid, muffler, I was running 13.5x/105.x

Nov. 2006, I installed Hooker LT/ORY, but the track was now closed. No tune then.

Spring 2007, now I was running 13.1x/107.x
    Went on a long trip, gas MPG went from 26.x to low 28. Still no tune.

Oct. 2007, perfect weather at the drag strip (50? degrees?), I did a 60 ft of 1.98 and ran a best that night of 12.89 @ 109.85. 7 runs that night, all over 109 MPH. No tune yet....

Fast forward to now, I got a mail order tune from Frost, in Spring 2010, finally my SES light is out LOL. Ran in June this year, had a couple of 107 passes, 13.2x. I don't know what the DA was, but temps that night got in the high 60s. 60 ft sucked, around 2.18 or so. I need new tires, mine are almost worn out. At least I was faster than the Camaro SS 6-speed that night, he was trapping 106.x. Not gonna do drag radails, I don't have any spare $$$ for a new rear axle.

So, no, OP, I found it's a myth concerning loss of power when you add LTs. At least for my mild engine combo.
    Damn you i keep seeing your 12.89 posted with no tune! Killing me i want to be there!!! What you have for a clutch? I just got my computer back tonight and i want to see what my car will do now at the track. Best so far of 13.14 2.045 60ft

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69Mac View Post
    Damn you i keep seeing your 12.89 posted with no tune! Killing me i want to be there!!! What you have for a clutch? I just got my computer back tonight and i want to see what my car will do now at the track. Best so far of 13.14 2.045 60ft
    But what's your MPH? 2.04 60 ft is almost there, that run I had was with a 1.98 60. That night, I had perfect weather conditions (it was a nice and cool October evening here in Indy, around 50 maybe cooler), my street tires were Goodyear F1 GSD3, those wild grooved ones that I put on 5 months earlier. I still have the stock clutch, now with 93k. All 7 runs were over 109 that night, wish I could repeat it! I need to find those time slips.

This is one reason why I say PCM tuning is good for any car, and not required with a LT/ORY install. If you can live with the SES light on. On otherwise stock engines, the MAF will report the increased efficiency of the engine and self tune, to an extent. Tuning really helps more with AT cars, minimizing torque management.

Are you going to the track soon with your new tune? Come on, I want to see you report a 12.x!

I forsee an LS6 intake before next summer for Too Fast, I want 110 MPH 1/4 speeds and keep my 27+ MPG highway.

Well my LT's are installed and YES it IS a myth lmao

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

But what's your MPH? 2.04 60 ft is almost there, that run I had was with a 1.98 60. That night, I had perfect weather conditions (it was a nice and cool October evening here in Indy, around 50 maybe cooler), my street tires were Goodyear F1 GSD3, those wild grooved ones that I put on 5 months earlier. I still have the stock clutch, now with 93k. All 7 runs were over 109 that night, wish I could repeat it! I need to find those time slips.

This is one reason why I say PCM tuning is good for any car, and not required with a LT/ORY install. If you can live with the SES light on. On otherwise stock engines, the MAF will report the increased efficiency of the engine and self tune, to an extent. Tuning really helps more with AT cars, minimizing torque management.

Are you going to the track soon with your new tune? Come on, I want to see you report a 12.x!

I forsee an LS6 intake before next summer for Too Fast, I want 110 MPH 1/4 speeds and keep my 27+ MPG highway.

My MPH was 107.45 and trust me i want 12's!!! I'm thinking of going tomorrow the weather in the morning is going to be around 60 with low humidity track might be a little cold at 10 when it opens but my tires hold really well. I have falken azenis rk12s my only concern is my useless clutch u did the drill mod and still isn't great so we will see tomorrow if i go to the track

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^As you probably know, a 107.x trap speed is well into the 12s, providing a decent launch. A few weeks ago when I was running my 107.x's, there was some kind of old school GM with slicks, he must've had his suspension right also. His trap speeds were 103.x, with an ET of 13.1x. Didn't see the 60 ft times, but prolly 1.7-1.8x or so, it would launch hard! I'd like to have a 1.7 60 ft, with a 108 trap speed, that should be about a 12.6 ET.

Oh yeah, there was a 2010 Camaro SS that night, all I saw from him was 106.x traps. I had been running 105s earlier, so I told some people that I must at least equal the SS MPH. So the next 2 runs I was a bit more aggesive on my shifting and did 2 back to back 107s, with no cool down time. Car felt like it jumped sideways 2 feet with my 1-2 shift.
    Last edited by Too Fast; 07-30-2010 at 02:17 PM.

102 mph is enough HP for 12.80-90 if the rest of the car is setup right. The lower Stock Eliminator classes do it all the time in NHRA.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^ I just knew you were gonna put your 2 cents in. So whatare your thoughts, if we have trap speeds of 107-110, with a proper suspension setup, would we be 12.50s or lower?

^^^ I just knew you were gonna put your 2 cents in. So whatare your thoughts, if we have trap speeds of 107-110, with a proper suspension setup, would we be 12.50s or lower?
    Absolutely. If you can trap 110 mph that's a bottom 12 second car if it will 60 foot. I had my fathers goat with an old motor combo years ago, running 110 mph, and it ran 12.0's all day long with a best of 12.02. But normally you would see most street cars a tad slower.

It's just hard to get a double duty street/strip car to do both well. My father is willing to make sacrafices on a street car that others would hate to drive, such as no front sway bar, and running 90/10 shocks on the street.
    But 110 mph and hitting 12.50's is very doable without too much effort.

I've showed this pic before, here is dads car. It's a simple suspension setup that works. Different motor now, but this pic was the first pass off the trailer on a fresh motor, it only trapped 112 on this pass, but went 11.70.
    Later in the day with more tuning, it went 11.30 and got parked for no bar. I think we picked the MPH up to 116 or so?? It consistently pulls the left front wheel 8 inches in the air (this pic was a bit too early to show) and runs 1.51-1.55 60 foot times.
    Honestly if we hadn't of gotten parked, and had a bit more time with the car, it would be a 10 second ride easily. I wasn't finished tuning it,,,lol.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    i have lts exhaust and cai.....370 rwtq.....i hope that answers ur question
    I got 369.7 outta mine
    Quote Originally Posted by zmg00camaross View Post
    I bought the Texas speed 1 7/8 Headers and felt a good seat of the pants pick up. who cares about low bottom down torque i dont race down there. My mid range is fine and strong and top end is great.
    I also have TSP LT's but I did feel slower after the install. But now it feels fast since I've been out on the streets and raced cars, now I can see the difference.
    Maybe I just don't have that sense of power gain? HOWEVER, After my lid I did feel it.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Thumbs down

^^^As you probably know, a 107.x trap speed is well into the 12s, providing a decent launch. A few weeks ago when I was running my 107.x's, there was some kind of old school GM with slicks, he must've had his suspension right also. His trap speeds were 103.x, with an ET of 13.1x. Didn't see the 60 ft times, but prolly 1.7-1.8x or so, it would launch hard! I'd like to have a 1.7 60 ft, with a 108 trap speed, that should be about a 12.6 ET.

Oh yeah, there was a 2010 Camaro SS that night, all I saw from him was 106.x traps. I had been running 105s earlier, so I told some people that I must at least equal the SS MPH. So the next 2 runs I was a bit more aggesive on my shifting and did 2 back to back 107s, with no cool down time. Car felt like it jumped sideways 2 feet with my 1-2 shift.
    Well that wasn't what I planned for ......13.2 slower! And only 102mph what the hell??? Hows this possible same 60ft time and shift points before a tune i got 13.1 107 mph how can i be slower after the tune? The weather was perfect today 40%humidity and 60 degrees not what i was expecting talk about being bummed out

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69Mac View Post
    Well that wasn't what I planned for ......13.2 slower! And only 102mph what the hell??? Hows this possible same 60ft time and shift points before a tune i got 13.1 107 mph how can i be slower after the tune? The weather was perfect today 40%humidity and 60 degrees not what i was expecting talk about being bummed out
    That sucks. 5 MPH, that's a pretty big difference. Sounds like you did have decent weather, maybe talk to the tuner?

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

That sucks. 5 MPH, that's a pretty big difference. Sounds like you did have decent weather, maybe talk to the tuner?
    Ya i might do that, its strange cause my 60ft wasnt too bad 2.069 and the car feels quicker so i was confused. I had a 2.001 60ft but my clutch gave me a problem on that launch. Stuck to the floor again in 3rd and 4th haha. Thats getting old i will probably try doing the master and if that doesnt help then its a new LS7 clutch. Anyways though, what are you shifting at when you run????

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I've found it's fastest when I shift just before the rev limiter kicks in, about 6150. That 2.06 and 2.001 were decent 60 fts, with street tires. And yeah the clutch thing gets old quick. I have not done the drill mod with this one yet, I put in a '02 spec GM master cylinder about 3 years ago, it is better but not fixed..............need to drill it. Not looking forward to it, I always have such a hard time getting the master cyl back on. No F'n room to get to it!!!

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

I've found it's fastest when I shift just before the rev limiter kicks in, about 6150. That 2.06 and 2.001 were decent 60 fts, with street tires. And yeah the clutch thing gets old quick. I have not done the drill mod with this one yet, I put in a '02 spec GM master cylinder about 3 years ago, it is better but not fixed..............need to drill it. Not looking forward to it, I always have such a hard time getting the master cyl back on. No F'n room to get to it!!!
    Well i'm going to buy a master and see how that works, tough to do??? But i did the drill mod. It wasnt that bad and you dont have to take the master out to do the drilling. The only thing that sucked was the bleeding until i bought the mity vac took 10 seconds tops after that haha.

I did the drill mod on mine and didn't notice any difference in clutch feel or action. I then installed an adjustable master cylinder and things got better.

I wouldn't say it's what I prefer, but at least it feels better. I'm not really sure there is a complete fix for it unless you spend big money on a better setup. Because the cheaper mods and the free mods didn't do it for me.

black
    1997 Camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I did the drill mod on mine and didn't notice any difference in clutch feel or action. I then installed an adjustable master cylinder and things got better.

I wouldn't say it's what I prefer, but at least it feels better. I'm not really sure there is a complete fix for it unless you spend big money on a better setup. Because the cheaper mods and the free mods didn't do it for me.
    whats the dril mod?

There is a restricted orifice in the hydraulic line that is purposely designed into the system to slow hydraulic clutch action. Keeps the warranty claims down.

So people remove the lines and drill the orifice (1/8 inch if I remember correctly)
    Or in some cases if you buy a nice adjustable master cylinder such as one made by Tick, I think they supply a new line without the orifice ready to install.

yellow
    2005 corvette

Are Tick adjustables worth it? is there a reason to adjust them or just a better stock replacement?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information