Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

LT Headers, is it worth the gain

This is a discussion on LT Headers, is it worth the gain within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; To maybe help the op (and myself), anyone know of any sites or sponsors running specials on LT headers at ...

  1. #21
    Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    2,677
    2000 C5 Torch Red

    To maybe help the op (and myself), anyone know of any sites or sponsors running specials on LT headers at this time? I've been working on a ceramic coated pacesetter purchase, and there's always someone good for a sale here.

    It also helps with that last little push when you know you can get a good deal.

  2. #22
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    To maybe help the op (and myself), anyone know of any sites or sponsors running specials on LT headers at this time? I've been working on a ceramic coated pacesetter purchase, and there's always someone good for a sale here.

    It also helps with that last little push when you know you can get a good deal.
    Dude, I can tell you Mark from KY SPeed will give you the best deal he can (probably the best you will find period) if you shoot him a PM and talk with him. Very nice dude and I think he just told me he got a huge shipment in of Kooks LT's. I would start there, they are a good sponsor of LS1.com

  3. #23
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    I wont be doing a cam at all, im trying to convince myself if i should even put LT's. The labor charge on putting these is really high and im not gonna attempt to do it myself due to were i live, landlord is an a**. I would probably pay about 350 for stainless headers and thats including shipped, another 150 for the ypipe, gotta change the plugs while im at it gonna run nitrous down the road. Best deal ill probably get is 350 labor. So basically 850 for headers and install and about 30 bucks for plugs and i dont know how much for the install on those. The worse it can be is about 1000.00 to do this, so for about 20-25rwhp, gotta think about it. Ive done headers on 4 past camaro's and even when i had the 01 M3. So i know it makes a difference, just need to save up the cash.

  4. #24
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Man, really try to do the install yourself somehow. It will save you alot of cash.

  5. #25
    Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    2,677
    2000 C5 Torch Red

    Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    I wont be doing a cam at all, im trying to convince myself if i should even put LT's. The labor charge on putting these is really high and im not gonna attempt to do it myself due to were i live, landlord is an a**. I would probably pay about 350 for stainless headers and thats including shipped, another 150 for the ypipe, gotta change the plugs while im at it gonna run nitrous down the road. Best deal ill probably get is 350 labor. So basically 850 for headers and install and about 30 bucks for plugs and i dont know how much for the install on those. The worse it can be is about 1000.00 to do this, so for about 20-25rwhp, gotta think about it. Ive done headers on 4 past camaro's and even when i had the 01 M3. So i know it makes a difference, just need to save up the cash.
    What Hi-po said. Find you a buddy and knock it out. Best deal I've found sofar is pacesetter ceramic coated w cattedypipe for 699 from texas speed performance. (I have emissions and want it to at least pass a visual).
    I would also get the locking header bolt and pick up a new gasket from the dealer as I was told it was worth it. Also, supposedly the 97?'ish vette 02's are long enough and a perfect fit instead of using the extensions. That should be under 800, especially if you don't want hi flow cats.

  6. #26
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    What Hi-po said. Find you a buddy and knock it out. Best deal I've found sofar is pacesetter ceramic coated w cattedypipe for 699 from texas speed performance. (I have emissions and want it to at least pass a visual).
    I would also get the locking header bolt and pick up a new gasket from the dealer as I was told it was worth it. Also, supposedly the 97?'ish vette 02's are long enough and a perfect fit instead of using the extensions. That should be under 800, especially if you don't want hi flow cats.
    Again, Call Mark/PM Mark at KY Speed. TSP is not a sponsor here. I gurantee Mark will give you the same deal, if not better than TSP.

  7. #27
    Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    2,677
    2000 C5 Torch Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Again, Call Mark/PM Mark at KY Speed. TSP is not a sponsor here. I gurantee Mark will give you the same deal, if not better than TSP.
    I got it bro. Looking up the number for a call in the morning. I'll always give a ls1 sponsor first dibs of my business. Y I asked. I was just pointing out that the op could find some budget deals on good headers since he's going to need install money also.

  8. #28
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    I got it bro. Looking up the number for a call in the morning. I'll always give a ls1 sponsor first dibs of my business. Y I asked. I was just pointing out that the op could find some budget deals on good headers since he's going to need install money also.
    I got ya man, I was flamin you. Just giving a good guy with great deals a one-up.

  9. #29
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Im sorry... to me that is just stupid. A cam being a "first" mod? That just sounds ridiculous to me IMO. No exhaust what so ever? Your going to choke the crap out of any cam you put in there and make shit for power, compared to what it should be making.

    Also, the OP is sounding like he doesnt want to install long tube headers for christ sake... I really doubt he is going to jump into a cam swap.
    catback and lid + cam = more power than catback, lid, LT's. i was only stating it as a suggestion for all who think that you cant run a cam w/ stock manifolds. they ARE shorty's is all. didn't mean to get off topic, but the mythical logic that a cam swap is not worth it 'cuz you don't have LT's is what i was tryin to clear up. . . .sure any cam profile will make more with long tubes. just like any cam profile will make more power w/ aftermarket heads. . . . . . .again just my .02.

  10. #30
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    I bought the cheapo ebay headers back in october? maybe
    I just put them in this past weekend. I did them alone. With me chain smoking cursing and drinking the whole time I got the exhaust off and the headers on in about 5 hours. If I had to do it again I would it was not that big of a deal. Removing the damn coil pack was a bitch the back bolt did not go back in. The only reason I didn't get to fire the car up was b/c I still had to order the ory, plugs, wires, band clamps, egr/air block off plates, o2 ext. etc...

    I called/pm'd mark at kyspeed. He made me a great deal and it was a one stop shop.

  11. #31
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    You don't need extensions. Just go to a local auto parts store and get some ls1 corvette rear o2 sensors. New headers why not new sensors. I'm not a fan of the extensions. Last thing needed is more connections for water to get in. Dam blinker sockets ar bad enough.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

  12. #32
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    catback and lid + cam = more power than catback, lid, LT's. i was only stating it as a suggestion for all who think that you cant run a cam w/ stock manifolds. they ARE shorty's is all. didn't mean to get off topic, but the mythical logic that a cam swap is not worth it 'cuz you don't have LT's is what i was tryin to clear up. . . .sure any cam profile will make more with long tubes. just like any cam profile will make more power w/ aftermarket heads. . . . . . .again just my .02.
    I cam is good but headers are alot cheaper and easier to install. Under a grand with some pacesetter(with install). Cam, springs, and other parts puls install over $1500, depending on setup maybe 1800 or 1900

  13. #33
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    i agree if you dont do your own work you will pay through your johnson for either, prob more for a cam swap. . . .someone may charge more for a cam swap but w/o a lift i can do a cam swap hours quicker than i can a header install. with a lift (for header install) it would be a close race. a cam swap will cost you the same as some stainless headers if you installed both yourself.

  14. #34
    Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    2,677
    2000 C5 Torch Red

    For anyone interested, the dude over at kyspeed is pretty awesome to work with sofar. Are locking header bolts a must, or should I reuse the stockers?

  15. #35
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    For anyone interested, the dude over at kyspeed is pretty awesome to work with sofar. Are locking header bolts a must, or should I reuse the stockers?
    Ive heard of the backing out. I wouldnt say a must.. but it wouldnt hurt.

    The guys at KY Speed are really easy to work with. Good people.

  16. #36
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Ive heard of the backing out. I wouldnt say a must.. but it wouldnt hurt.

    The guys at KY Speed are really easy to work with. Good people.
    I would second that I just got my first box of goodies for my install. And already ordered more stuff through him. He really is great. Just remember that he can't get more than what he has on his site.

  17. #37
    Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    2,677
    2000 C5 Torch Red

    Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    I would second that I just got my first box of goodies for my install. And already ordered more stuff through him. He really is great. Just remember that he can't get more than what he has on his site.
    I think you meant "can" get more.

  18. #38
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    I wont be doing a cam at all, im trying to convince myself if i should even put LT's. The labor charge on putting these is really high and im not gonna attempt to do it myself due to were i live, landlord is an a**. I would probably pay about 350 for stainless headers and thats including shipped, another 150 for the ypipe, gotta change the plugs while im at it gonna run nitrous down the road. Best deal ill probably get is 350 labor. So basically 850 for headers and install and about 30 bucks for plugs and i dont know how much for the install on those. The worse it can be is about 1000.00 to do this, so for about 20-25rwhp, gotta think about it. Ive done headers on 4 past camaro's and even when i had the 01 M3. So i know it makes a difference, just need to save up the cash.
    Post on ls1tech in the western section for a modday. Tell them your predicament and tell them free beer and pizza to those who help. So about $50 if that compared to the $400 for labor.

  19. #39
    Member mr_r0bert0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Age
    27
    Posts
    169

    pewter
    2002 camaro z28

    IMO definately worth it not only did my long tubes add power, noticable very little but still, and i love the sound lol

  20. #40
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
    I'd agree on the 20 hp and I'd disagree, not worth the money. When you really want to boost the power do a heads and cam headers combo and go from 335 to 400. 20 hp isn't even 10%, you'll barely notice the difference.
    Barely notice a difference?? With nothing but an I/E/LS6 intake, after installing LT's my car felt like a completely different vehicle. More power everywhere in the powerband, especially in the mid range. It was 100% worth the gain, and installing them wasn't hard at all, only took a few hours. By far the best mod I've done.

    Not only that, but how do you expect a H/C package to perform when you're running stock manifolds?? Its going to choke the life out of it, you'd probably be sacrificing damn near 40WHP running stock manifolds over LT's with an agressive H/C package. Even if you're just adding a cam its highly reccommended that you have LT's first, you can have all the lift and duration you want but you can't move any more air if you have a huge restriction on the exhaust side of the motor. So you'd go through all the trouble of an H/C install only to have the motor choke out on the top end, and you'd still end up having to install LT's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: HP gain from Headers
    By fbodyNATION in forum External Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-14-2011, 07:48 PM
  2. is the price worth the gain?
    By Talon_II in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 11:29 PM
  3. Best set of headers for most hp gain ?
    By 98Z28importslayer in forum External Engine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 06:00 AM
  4. What is the true rear wheel Hp gain with long tube headers.
    By Street Fighter in forum External Engine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 01:29 PM
  5. Will I gain any hp from the headers over the cut out?
    By CandyRedZ28 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 03:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •