bad@ss mike

which LT headers?? TOO MANY DAMN HEADERS TO CHOOSE FROM!

aight. i am looking to get some LT headers for my ss and i am looking at hooker, kooks, QTP, stainless works, and pacesetter. of all the stuff i have read kooks, QTP, and stainless works are the cream of the crop but i dont know how worth it it is to get them over the others...... it seems like a majority of people have pacesetters but i dont know if its cause they are good of just cause they are cheap for what you get(bang for the buck)??? and it seems like nobody even talks about hoookers but the older people i have talked to say that hookers are the best around and have been "time proven" over the years......... so all in all i want good headers and dont mind spending the cash if i can justify why i am spending a lot of money on them. it seems like all of these LTs have about the same performance, so what is the benefit of buying the really expenseve ones (kooks, QTP, stainless works, hooker) compare to the cheaper ones like pacesetter????????

your help would be greatly appreciated!!! thanks

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

for HP gains they are all simular, stainless is the best for durability and the kooks, QTP, and stainless works are all great. I have some FLP LT's that are mild steel coated and bought them used, have over 40k miles on them and zero rust. A lot depends on where you live, salt on roads in winter, saltwater, etc.. Everyone doesn't have problems with the mild steel ones, it is all about conditions where you live. In a hot climate I would think any would be good. Pacesetters are popular because they are cheap, tuck up well and flow great. Another thing to look for is the quality of the flange, where the headers mount to the heads, the better brands will be thicker and less chance of leaks.

Sebring Silver Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z28

I love my Hooker headers! Just make sure you get them ceramic coated.
    2002 SSM Z/28 - 351 RWHP & 369 RWTQ

Wheels 4 sale -> http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/261643333.html

bad@ss mike
    Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler
    for HP gains they are all simular, stainless is the best for durability and the kooks, QTP, and stainless works are all great. I have some FLP LT's that are mild steel coated and bought them used, have over 40k miles on them and zero rust. A lot depends on where you live, salt on roads in winter, saltwater, etc.. Everyone doesn't have problems with the mild steel ones, it is all about conditions where you live. In a hot climate I would think any would be good. Pacesetters are popular because they are cheap, tuck up well and flow great. Another thing to look for is the quality of the flange, where the headers mount to the heads, the better brands will be thicker and less chance of leaks.

well i live in new mexico and for the most part it is pretty damn dry. i dont drive my car much, just when it is nice outside, but i still want good stuff for it. i have had it for 5 years(next month) and it only has 23028 miles on it so mileage probably wont be an issue. i just want something that has good quality that the welds wont break easy and will just be good. i am kinda leaning toward the stainless steel ones but i havent really got any feedback from anybody on why i should spend twice as much for them. i actually found the stainless works headers for less than the hookers and there is just too many to choose from for me to make a decision without testimonials and pros and cons of each. i am also going to put electronic cutouts and TDs after the headers with no cats.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Camaro

I say go to the dyno section of the forum. some people post up to 10 hp gains on 1 7/8 headers compared to 1 3/4. actually run a serch someone has compared these two. but my choice would be kooks. Especially if $$$ isn't an obstacle.

rand49er
    Kooks 1-3/4" here on my LS6 with their cats. I've heard the 1-7/8" are only necessary if you're running a blower; otherwise, it'll actually hurt you.

I was advised to NOT get the coated ones ... and that was by Kooks themselves! Stuff will come off sooner, not later.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bad@ss mike
    well i live in new mexico and for the most part it is pretty damn dry. i dont drive my car much, just when it is nice outside, but i still want good stuff for it. i have had it for 5 years(next month) and it only has 23028 miles on it so mileage probably wont be an issue. i just want something that has good quality that the welds wont break easy and will just be good. i am kinda leaning toward the stainless steel ones but i havent really got any feedback from anybody on why i should spend twice as much for them. i actually found the stainless works headers for less than the hookers and there is just too many to choose from for me to make a decision without testimonials and pros and cons of each. i am also going to put electronic cutouts and TDs after the headers with no cats.
    Stainless without a doubt is the best..rust is the only issue with the mild steel LT's, I've always heard the 1 7/8th headers need supporting mods or they can hurt h.p,
    good stuff= stainless All the stainless headers made have nice thick flanges, so there will be no issues there and no rust issues. I haven't heard of any stainless ones with weld issues either. Stainless works makes good headers. Dynatech supermaxx are stainless too, come with everything you need for a install and I think have a bolt on removable cat, so you can run ORY or with cats. Is very simular setup as the FLP headers I have. They are all so simular, you will hear 10 people say this header and 10 this one, but it comes down to they all perform very simular. After having the mild steel coated on my car, I am happy with them too. I couldn't(or didn't want to) spend the extra for stainless.

bad@ss mike
    ok. thanks a lot guys!

Black
    1998 z28

I went Qtp's .I suggested you get what you can afford.Qtp's and Kooks are not cheap .
    If you want good headers that are less pricey go with coated pacesetters.

ADDICTED!!!

black
    2002 Camaro SS

I have jet hot LT headers. I have had them for about 7 months and both flanges are cracked at the heads. (flush $700.00 down the toilet) I'm going to buy what I should have in the first place, stainless headers. I have never been this dissapointed with any other purchase in my life. DO NOT BUY JET HOT HEADERS OR Y PIPE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rock98
    I went Qtp's .I suggested you get what you can afford.Qtp's and Kooks are not cheap .
    If you want good headers that are less pricey go with coated pacesetters.
    I was told kooks makes Q.T.P headers

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

I'm considering either the S/S QTPs or the Stainless Works (SW) Headers myself. I live near the coast in Central Florida so salt air is a major issue down here.

Brevard County, FL was recently rated as one of the most corrosive climates in N. America . . .so go figure!

New Mexico, Warm, Dry Climate, corrosion may not be as much of an issue with you. So the less expensive coated headers may be a better option. Coated Headers still do an excellent job of controlling under hood temps as well. Sort of a win - win situation.

Just look for quality construction, good welds, heavy duty head flanges, good quality coating, properly located O2 bungs, and I recommend slip fit as opposed to bolt on collectors. Type of "Y" pipe you want to run, CATS or Off Road!

SLP's are know to be a ground clearance issue with lowered cars, QTP's claim to be the "Only true equal length L/T header" and claim to offer more HP (up to 40HP) than the competition, & SW claim to be the best for giving most ground clearance.

QTP: http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/...ls1headers.php

SLP: http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...l?v=1&pid=2164

SW: http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...?v=1&pid=27103

Hooker: http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...?v=1&pid=12233

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by skar
    I was told kooks makes Q.T.P headers
    Don't think so. Looked a both Kooks and QTP's, construction is much different. Diff. bends, QTP's are longer, and use different collectors.

IMO on what I saw.

Kooks may own QTP, that I don't know, however the headers are definitely different. IMO QTP's look like higher quality construction.

KOOKS
    Kooks Custom Headers
    200 Candlewood Rd
    Bayshore, NY 11706

Kooks 1 3/4" X 1 7/8" X 3" LS1 header

QTP
    QUICK TIME PERFORMANCE
    23 Birch Street Building A
    Midland Park, NJ 07432
    Phone 201-444-0998 Fax 201-444-0993
    EMAIL SALES@QUICKTIMEPERFORMANCE.COM
    http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/...ls1headers.php
    Last edited by RainMan; 03-25-2006 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RainMan
    Don't think so. Looked a both Kooks and QTP's, construction is much different. Diff. bends, QTP's are longer, and use different collectors.

IMO on what I saw.

Kooks may own QTP, that I don't know, however the headers are definitely different. IMO QTP's look like higher quality construction.

KOOKS
    Kooks Custom Headers
    200 Candlewood Rd
    Bayshore, NY 11706

Kooks 1 3/4" X 1 7/8" X 3" LS1 header

QTP
    QUICK TIME PERFORMANCE
    23 Birch Street Building A
    Midland Park, NJ 07432
    Phone 201-444-0998 Fax 201-444-0993
    EMAIL SALES@QUICKTIMEPERFORMANCE.COM
    http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/...ls1headers.php
    I did not say they are the same. I said kooks makes Q.T.P

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by skar
    I did not say they are the same. I said kooks makes Q.T.P
    Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to dispute your statement, I'm interested in the QTP's and your post stirred my curiosity as to who really makes them. Where did you find that out? Can't find any info linking them together. Maybe a Parent Co. owns them both or something like that.
    Just curious as to your source.
    Last edited by RainMan; 03-26-2006 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RainMan
    Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to dispute your statement, I'm interested in the QTP's and your post stirred my curiosity as to who really makes them. Where did you find that out? Can't find any info linking them together. Maybe a Parent Co. owns them both or something like that.
    Just curious as to your source.
    I also was looking into buying some QTP headers. Was told it was 4 to 6 weeks to get them. So I ordered some Kooks and 3 weeks later have not received them. So I called Kooks up to bitch stating that if I had to wait that long I would of ordered QTP's. Guy from Kooks laughed and said they also make the headers for QTP. They bend them, weld them, and put QTP's name of them. My headers should be in next week. Both are excellent headers along with stainless steel works. I ordered my headers through Horsepower Engineering but they screwed everything up, I would deal right with Kooks.
    Last edited by skar; 03-26-2006 at 11:01 AM.

Thread Information