Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Question LT Headers with cutout?

Hello,
    I just ordered some LT headers and a y pipe. My current set up is stock manifolds, stock, cats, to a cutout. I am very satisfied with the sound and didn't want to spare the cash for a catback exhaust. Will this set up work? ir should I look into investing in a muffler? I would like to install the headers, get rid of the cats, and install the cutout after the y pipe singles out. Thanks guys

98 Formula
    06 duramax

headers with no cats + cutout = very loud and raspy. You won't be able to run it open 24/7 like you do now unless you like drone and unwanted attention from cops. I would at a minimum get an e-cutout so you can close it off and run it through the stock catback for when you're in neighborhoods and what not.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

It will work if you like lots of red and blue lights. Otherwise, get an electric cutout like Orion suggested, and a muffler.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Makes sense... well my reason for going with a cutout (several years ago) was the cost, however, an electric cut out is not too far away from buying a muffler. So basically my best bet is to purchase a muffler? Would putting just a muffler to replace the stock one work and just delete the cutout all together? I found a hooker muffler for 110.00 and I changed the tips a while ago so it seems like a waste to purchase the entire catback.

Y2KPewterSS, I see you are from Broken Arrow... I have been in Tulsa for the last few years. Are Tulsa Cops strict about noise polution? I would never get away with this in Houston and definately would not pass state inspection.
    Last edited by JehalinTA; 08-03-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Your basically running open headers with that set up. It will be VERY LOUD. I would invest in at least a muffler or get an electric cut out.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA View Post

Y2KPewterSS, I see you are from Broken Arrow... I have been in Tulsa for the last few years. Are Tulsa Cops strict about noise polution? I would never get away with this in Houston and definately would not pass state inspection.
    Tulsa cops are not strict, in fact right now, they are proving a point to the city about their budget being cut. They are showing the city what happens with a reduced police force by not writing as many tickets, not responding to situations etc.

Generally they are not highly strict, just don't piss them off and you are fine. BA police is a different story, rather strict about enforcing stuff. No state inspections in Oklahoma either.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Pacesetters with no cats here. I am dumped at the axle.. I have never had an issue.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Pacesetters with no cats here. I am dumped at the axle.. I have never had an issue.
    mufflers? I'm assuming you have too have them or your cops are deaf. No way I could run my cutout open in town except on rare occasions. Extremely loud with it open.....and raspy.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    mufflers? I'm assuming you have too have them or your cops are deaf. No way I could run my cutout open in town except on rare occasions. Extremely loud with it open.....and raspy.
    No mufflers.. Well bullets if you call them mufflers. I have had this setup a good 6 or 7 years.. When at idle it is not that loud. The only time it gets loud as you explain is at WOT. I tend not to drive around WOT all the time.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

LT's, catted Y, cutout, and Magnaflow catback. I can drive though town with the cutout open as long as I do not get into the throttle. An electric cutout costs far less than a catback and is one of my favorite mods on our car. DMH makes a real nice unit and you can check it out at KY Speed.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Well I am looking to replacing the stock muffler with a hooker or flowmaster and possibly get rid of the cutout all together. A muffler alone (not the entire catback) seems to be roughly 100 and will fit in place of the stock muffler. An electric cutout seems to be around 175. Also if I do an electric cutout I will be running it through the stock muffler, which may not sound very good.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Just save up and get a catback.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Keep the stock muffler and get the electric cutout.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Is the only benefit of an electric cut out that you can open and close it from inside because open headers can be annoyingly loud?

I already have a cutout and it once had an electric plate, but the gears went to crap a few years ago.

I also don't understand the benefit of going with a 500 catback vs. just a muffler? I already replaced the tips and will have a y pipe going to the exhaust system. Is it just larger pipes? Thanks

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here is a pic I took last year when I swapped in our Magnaflow catback. I was also curious as to the difference in pipe diameter. As you can see, there is not a whole lot of difference, but the Magnaflow system is smoother than the stock pipes:

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Seems silly to me to get a cat back. Whole point of closed cutout is to be quiet. Stock will be much quieter than the Magniflow.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

thanks pajeff02... I was going to get just the muffler to do without the cutout since most people say it does not sound good with a cutout. I am going to do the install and look into an alternate option if I don't like the sound. If I do like the sound I will keep my current set up with the cutout and just manually close it if I too annoyed.

red
    99 camaro

If you get the hooker aerochamber muffler you will love the sound with lt's and orpy. I did... then I thought true duals were faster and was proven wrong... dang I miss my hooker...

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

awesome... that is the exhaust I was looking at and it is very affordable. Does it take the raspy tone that most people complain about with a cutout, LT, and ORYP?

red
    99 camaro

It helps and is way better than flomaster,It sound great at any rpm at 3/4 to wot, but you still will have some rasp around 2-2500 in od at half throttle untill it gets to about 28-3000 then is smothes out and screams. Its the best sounding muffler replacement for a catless factory style catback to me. I had the stock 2.75 tubing and used just the muffler and had pipes n tips ran at the shop. I didnt have the HOOKER catback system.

Thread Information