Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Lightbulb LT header questions..

Gentlemen, I've found myself seriously considering long tube headers with matching catted y pipe for my ride. I find it to be the next logical step in my endless hunt for more power. Installation shouldn't be a problem, I'm a professional mechanic, therefore i have access to almost every possible tool, and a lift.

I've read all your posts, done some research on various systems, but now I'm interested in your experiences, before I buy. I'm fairly set on stainless steel LT headers AND emissions legal y pipe, because I only want to do this once.

Car is a DD '99 Trans Am with very basic mods, Magnaflow, SLP 'lid, shift kit, that's about it, no real street terror here, it's not, nor will it be a race car.

Can anyone recommend a particular system, made of stainless, or a way to peice a system together using stainless parts? I'd really like to keep price around a g-note, for the whole system, give or take, from heads to muffler inlet pipe.

Considering Supermaxx, or any other system I can piece together like that, made of stainless steel, AND emission legal. No SES lights,banging on floorpans, rattles OR comprimises. Quality is of more importance than price. I'll spend a little more, if i get a little more.

Also, on a side note, I'm thinking header wrap might be a good idea, yes? or no?

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

header wrap, no.
    if anything have the headers coated with cermanic.
    as for stainless headers, hooker makes a decent stainless header at a good price.
    ses codes can pop up with any brand long tube. headers change the a/f ratio.
    also all brands y pipes will sometimes bang. just heat up the y pipe and bend it alittle and problem solved, its no big deal.
    btw, my car has no cats and im emissions legal
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Hooker, eh? I've not heard much about 'em, good or bad. What stainless y-pipe would work with 'em? I'm only interested in stainless peices, really. Please bear in mind, this is a DD. Also, what or where do I specificially need to heat up and bend the Y so I can be sure it doesn't bang? I'll do this on the lift at the same time.

Header wrap is a bad idea on stainless headers? Or is it just a waste of time in general?

Also, I'm sure you've heard this question time and time again, but what gains can I expect to see on a car as basic as mine? I live in a realistic world, and I would expect around 10 hp with LT's, but if ya think I'll feel the difference, I'll be thrilled regardless.

I can't say what level of power will satisfy me, but i'm sure it's more than my budget will allow, but slowly and surely, i'm moving in that direction.

Whereabouts do you live, nhraformula? How can you be emissions legal without cats? I havn't been on this board since before they rebuilt it, but I remember you, and I value your advice..
    Last edited by PushroD; 02-12-2006 at 07:42 PM.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

while i could be wrong, i dont believe any header company make a stainless y pipe.
    before heating anything up, make sure it bangs. i had my y pipe heated up about 6-7 inches away from the collectors.
    header wrap when it gets wet can help aid in rusting.
    you will gain about 20 rwhp and upwards of 30 if you have the car tuned.
    i live in norwood park. the state plugs into our odb ports for the emsissions test.
    if you have software like ls1 edit or hptuners, you can have the emissions part taken care of. or take the car to speed inc.

I think the supper maxx is all stainless y pipe and cats. $1295 shipped at jeggs.

Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

I guess that's what I'll have to do, anyone have any experience with Supermaxx systems? BTW this car does have SLP sfc's on it. Will they interfere?
    Last edited by PushroD; 02-13-2006 at 06:14 PM.

NBM
    99 TA

i have the slp sfc's and kooks headers and catted Y. no clearance problems here, not sure about the supermaxx

Kooks headers and y-pipe are all stainless and so is Stainless Works.

Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Ah, i hadn't found any other systems that were ALL stainless. Thanks for the info guys! What are the chances I can get all stainless for $1000 bucks? I'm probably gonna have to fork over more than that, right?

Last edited by billabong26z; 02-15-2006 at 09:47 AM.

These are very high quality and worth every dollar.

96camaroSS
    Unless you're locked on stainless headers. You can get headers and y-pipe for under your budget amount. Hooker ceramic coated headers and stainlessworks y-pipe. Check out Summit Racing for a big selection of possibilities. A good ceramic coated header is going to hold up for many years. Even on a daily driver.

There have been some past problems with stainless headers cracking. But that was on one specific manufacturer so it may not be a universal thing. Just my opinion, but I think mild steel has a better survival history where it's subject to repeated heat cycling.

Do stay away from header wrap no matter what header you pick. So many problems will come from it on a daily driver. Everything from accelerated corrosion of the pipes to fire hazard. Imagine what an oil leak at the valve cover, coupled with something to soak it up, strapped tightly to a hot surface could cause!

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Stainless works sells a Y-pipe from Summit that will match with Hooker LT's. I think the SLP Y-pipe is stainless also.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Personally I would stay away from anything SLP, just not the quality of other brands out there. If it were me and I had $1000 budget I would go with either Kooks or Stainless Works for headers and y-pipe. Both are better quality and flow better than just about anything out there.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

When I bought mine it had the SLP LT's and Y, with the Hooker CB already on it. I personally would not have chosen that combo, but instead of replacing those parts, I decided to spend my money in an intake, cam, TB combo. If I got money burning a hole in my pocket, I will swap those out for the stainless works setup with a magnaflow CB.

Yeah definetly if your car came with SLP on it I wouldnt go and spend money on something you already have while you can spend it on other mods that help your car flow better. Just saying if he wants to do it right the first time with that kind of budget I would go with a better quality exhaust than SLP can offer.

Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Does kooks make a long tube catted y-pipe? Not that the StainlessWorks kit didn't look like a pretty good deal... I'll take a closer look at 'em.

yes kooks does make a catted y-pipe but it will put your budget to around $1300

Thread Information