Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LS7 engine

This is a discussion on LS7 engine within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; so whats up with my car only having 400 rwhp stroked,cammed, headed etc ..i know headers are worth another 30 ...

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

so whats up with my car only having 400 rwhp stroked,cammed, headed etc ..i know headers are worth another 30 rwhp but i must be missing somthing else

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    so whats up with my car only having 400 rwhp stroked,cammed, headed etc ..i know headers are worth another 30 rwhp but i must be missing somthing else
    you cam doesnt match your setup

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason View Post
    you cam doesnt match your setup
    yea with the right cam omg .. it will completely wake up that set up
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

pewter

ok im confused...lingenfelter engineering proly the most respected GM/Ls1 shop anywhere didnt set it up right????? somone explain...im sure sarge knows the answer..lol

1994 POS

ok im confused...lingenfelter engineering proly the most respected GM/Ls1 shop anywhere didnt set it up right????? somone explain...im sure sarge knows the answer..lol
    lingenfelter never improves old technology like that of the 383, its all about the 402, twin turbos, 427 now. Are your heads low compression? How long ago was the cam designed? Did you ask from something quiet or with a lot of low end torque? Lots of things can factor in to low numbers. I'd suggest getting a custom grind from ed curtis at http://www.flowtechinduction.com/

pewter

i didnt have them build it....61 yr old previous owner did.was done back in 2001 when the car was brand new...compression is 10.8/1 i have no specs beyond that though......im sure its nearly the same as the package they do now...they still done put specs on the site though...dunno y..like cam specs ...lingenfelter.com then the ls1 383 package....my redline is increase to 67 or 6800..thats where the limiter kicks in ..car sounds near stock at idle and gets quite loud and def not stock sounding past 3k or so ..only has whats shown in the package on the car with the addition of a spec clutch and fikse wheels.........wondering what headers and a lil more agressive tune from newera performance would do for me??? maybe 30 rwhp or MORE?

1994 POS

i didnt have them build it....61 yr old previous owner did.was done back in 2001 when the car was brand new...compression is 10.8/1 i have no specs beyond that though......im sure its nearly the same as the package they do now...they still done put specs on the site though...dunno y..like cam specs ...lingenfelter.com then the ls1 383 package....my redline is increase to 67 or 6800..thats where the limiter kicks in ..car sounds near stock at idle and gets quite loud and def not stock sounding past 3k or so ..only has whats shown in the package on the car with the addition of a spec clutch and fikse wheels.........wondering what headers and a lil more agressive tune from newera performance would do for me??? maybe 30 rwhp or MORE?
    do you have long tubes on there now?

pewter

nope ..stock manifolds still...borla cat back, lid, ported throtle body all came with that 383 package...theres no additions to what lpe did so far..thinking kooks in the spring..still need sub frames and some nitto or mikey DR's as well ...car still has michilan pilots that he had lpe put on back in 2001..there HARD.lol..have to heat them up hot to get any traction

1994 POS

wow, let that thing breathe with some long tubes and a unrestrictive cat back. also I'd consider a custom cam, you'll gain a lot of power

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

nope ..stock manifolds still...borla cat back, lid, ported throtle body all came with that 383 package...theres no additions to what lpe did so far..thinking kooks in the spring..still need sub frames and some nitto or mikey DR's as well ...car still has michilan pilots that he had lpe put on back in 2001..there HARD.lol..have to heat them up hot to get any traction
    stock manifolds? So this old guy went through the trouble of stroking the motor but left the manifolds on? Have you had it on the dyno or is 400 rwhp what the guy told you it had? You might of gotten taken for a ride dude.

pewter

have all the lpe paperwork/dyno/called them to confirm/ recepts/ and i used to own a 99z nearly stock..this car is NOT stock..lol...raced a 2003 m5 so far which is 400 horse and about 3800 lbs..runs 12.9 or so...doored it, jeep srt8..same result.......and yes still stock manifolds..he prolly didnt want to listen to the noise of headers...hes 61!!! lol ..prolly didnt want a lowered stiffer suspension either..had had an merc 55 amg in the garage as well...proly an 04 or so.....rich guy

427ls1
    I'm not sure who is stupider here so far!

A big block is a big block because its bigger than a small block by exterior dimensions. A 366 grain truck chevy engine is a big block and a 400 chevy is a small block. An ls engine is a small block based on its exterior dimensions stated by General Motors. This is why its a GEN3!

1st gen : carbureted 2 piece seal blocks and tbi fuel injected 1piece seal blocks ex: 305,5.0,327,350,5.7,400. ...

2nd gen : 4.3 (v8) 5.0 and 5.7 LT1 style engines with tuned port injecor manifolds and front mounted distributors.

Now for the big one :

GEN 3 (meaning the 3rd generation of small block chevrolet engines. including the corvettes 7.0) is the classification of any gm v8 based on the ls platform with distributor-less ignition

1994 POS

Well, if you're going by what GM says, it's actualy a 4th gen LS engine...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

oh shit!!! burn

silver
    g body

my 2 cent

This is a thread I couldnt pass up. I came to this forum to learn more about lsx series of engines. What I do know is big blocks and small blocks.

small block were made for passenger cars/truck. They have been bored and stroked to 454 cid.

Big blocks are big inside AND out. They were made for passenger cars/truck, and commercial vehicles. OEM BBC engines can be bored and stroked to 496

mouse motor, sbc,

Small black chevy v8's started in the mid 1950's. Chevy (GM) has bounced the cid of the SBC around, from 262 to 400. The rarest of them, well most sought after, are the 283, 302, 350LT1 (1970) and believe it or not, (and it didnt happen until years after it was made) but the 1970 to 1972 400. The only 2 years for 400cid four bolt main.

big block chevy, bbc, rat motor, porcupine

Big block chevys were/are availiable from 348 to 572, direct from GM in car, truck, and or crate. The 409 which the beach boys sang about in 1963, was the real start of big blocks in passenger cars from the factory. Then came the 396, next the 427, and in 1970 the 454. Then good ole emmision and opec came into the picture, so the big block became 402. Does the idea of any engine the size of 454, making less than 225HP sound ridiculous? Thank God for EFI. After the fuel shortage of the 1970's early 80's GM developed their crate motor programs. 454 to 572cid.

some tid-bits:
    the 302 used a 283 storke and a 350 bore from the factory

the 400sbc was not popular at first because it had siamese bores and had a tendency to over heat.

the famed ORIGINAL 383 combo uses a 350 block and a 400 crank with journals cut down

427 BBC used a 396 stroke and 454 bore

Oh the original poster asked about the difficulties of installing a current generation ls7 in a '98 camaro. Well the ls7 uses a dry sump system, meaning you have an external oil pump and oil tank, along with its neccesary hoses and lines to install. I would build a ls1/2 427 to your own specs before doing that, unless you access to a cheap z06 that was totalled.

The designation LT1 in the 1970's referred to a small block,there were no LT 2 3 or 4 in that era. When it was availiable LS was the highest performance version of the big blocks. there were no LS 1 2 or 3 in that area.

and the rarest of all big blocks are:

Z11 porcupine big block (409) bored to 427

ZL1 427 installed in 2 corvettes , and less than 70 camaros and were ALL ALUMINUM engines.

ls6 and ls7 were both 454 cid

The more I think about it the z06 should have had a ZL1 designation for the engine in it. Its an all aluminum 427. damn new engineers
    Last edited by massivespeed; 10-18-2006 at 09:51 AM. Reason: grammer .. ha

Quote Originally Posted by Liquifire View Post
    On pump gas without a power adder and with stock cubes would be very very difficult........I haven't seen it yet.
    This has been done a WHILE back. One particular issue of Hot Rod magazine comes to mind, in an article titled "LS1 cookbook." They got roughly 530 HP (crankshaft) using stock bore/ block LS1 with LTs, FAST intake manifold and 90mm TB, Comp Cams camshaft, Roller rockers, Wegner Automotive Research heads, upgraded valvesprings, retainers, etc.

They didn't even tune the thing.....they just kept cranking up the fuel pressure.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

The one i am going after was on Chevy Hi-Performance a while pack also. It was called "Patriot Games." Which consisted of the patriot ls-6 stage 2 heads with the 1.7 rockers and a custom patriot billet steel camshaft 226/226 .585"/.585" 112 LSA, fast 78mm intake and 78mm tb. That is it and they netted 522hp, 466ftq. LMPerformance acctually sells the package on their website.
    HTML Code:
    http://www.lmperformance.com/5094/1.html
    1,895 with free shipping and then the intake and tb setup cost about 1,000 with free shipping from texas-speed. About 2,900 for over 500 horsies is not bad.
    They even have the AFR head combo on LMPerformance, but i think it may be to agressive and by that i mean loud.

As for the big block deal, it is the volume inside the crankshaft case and i think the size of the journals. Or whatever.

silver
    g body

more than just crank case and journals
    Last edited by massivespeed; 10-18-2006 at 05:29 AM. Reason: combine to one post

Quote Originally Posted by litemup02 View Post
    You can pull those #'s out of your ls1...hell more than that, for half the cost. Just my .02

Hell, Thunder Racing got 451 HP out of their T-Rex cam and bolt ons (stock, unported cylinder heads, too!). Not sure if this is RWHP or not, but 500 crank HP is a no-brainer on this engine. You would almost have to try NOT to make over 500 crank HP.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

Yeah 500 crank hp on a ls1 is not that hard to achieve. The money is making one with 500rwhp, it is possible because i have seen a 577 hp sbc a while back, 350!!!!! It was through a manual but that was crank hp, i'm sure it had to be super close to 500whp.
    I'll have to dig it up again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information