Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LS7 engine

This is a discussion on LS7 engine within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by ninobrn99 isnt it 7.0 liters? 427 cu. in.? I thought that would be considered a big block...at ...

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99 View Post
    isnt it 7.0 liters? 427 cu. in.? I thought that would be considered a big block...at least in the old days ( not that im from them) up the 383 was still small and from 396 on up was considered big..or up to 396 small and then anything bigger was a big block. please explain.
    that is not how it works.........the 400 was a small block from the OLD Days....it is about how big the block is externally while the cubic inches amount comes from the amount of either the small or big block that is displaced internally. That is why Ford back in the day had a big small and kind of a mid block(351 Cleveland)--I am positive this is how it worked for Chevy but am not positive of the info on the Cleveland, but a knowledgeable friend told me about the Cleveland

Dark Green
    95 AZ Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Liquifire View Post
    that is not how it works.........the 400 was a small block from the OLD Days....it is about how big the block is externally while the cubic inches amount comes from the amount of either the small or big block that is displaced internally. That is why Ford back in the day had a big small and kind of a mid block(351 Cleveland)--I am positive this is how it worked for Chevy but am not positive of the info on the Cleveland, but a knowledgeable friend told me about the Cleveland
    This is how it was explained to me. It has to do with the physical size of the block, not the internal size. And yes, the Ford 351 was a big block(cleveland) small block(windsor), and there was an N something that I can't remember, maybe nodular or something.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

On pump gas without a power adder and with stock cubes would be very very difficult........I haven't seen it yet.
    I know 2 people really really close to it. One would have it for sure if he went with a bigger cam, but wants to stick with his f13

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

isnt it 7.0 liters? 427 cu. in.? I thought that would be considered a big block...at least in the old days ( not that im from them) up the 383 was still small and from 396 on up was considered big..or up to 396 small and then anything bigger was a big block. please explain.
    I thought the same thing until I read up on it. I was reading this post about people whining that LS7 heads wouldn't fit an LS1, and at first I was like stupid muthafuck*s, when have big block heads ever fit a small block. But after research I was the stupid m.f. Technology is ever evolving. And I don't know if this is true, but I read that the LS7 get approx 28mpg, seems unbelievable but we now have a 427 "small block" WTF!! So 14K for a more powerful motor that will get you another 10mpg over an LS1 balances out. Makes you not want to do shit to an LS1 and just save for an LS7. I considered taking out a loan to get the LS7 and I'd sell my LS1 motor, it's only got 34500 on it. But when I got back to reality, I figured I pay the car off first, THEN put the LS7 in it. Hell, all you gotta do is wait for some kid to total daddy's car and wha-lah LS7 and all accessories that weren't damaged to badly for the motor are now for sale. So I'm pretty sure you can build an Ls1 to equal or exceed an LS7 as far as power goes, but the computer is the real genius. So you need the LS7 and the brains. Makes you wonder why cant my LS1 get at least 20mpg. But can you imagine an SS with an LS7 in it, mustangs are already like , put an ls7 in and they'll do this to their shit

white
    1996 WS6 Trans Am

I grew up tinkering on old muscle cars with my pops, so I know a bit about this. It's physical size not displacement. There's been a 400 small block around for years and years. But there's also a 396 big block. The short and simple fact is that small blocks are the size of your lsx or ltx engines, they're pretty much the same size as the early carburated chevy v8's. Big blocks are noticably larger. Next time you're at the dragstrip and they have some muscle cars in the pits, take a peek under the hood. All it takes is a glance once you know what they look like.
    Last edited by sk8prk; 08-24-2006 at 04:24 PM. Reason: add information

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

old thread..but the corvette 2005-2006 has a ls2 and gets the great gas milage from the skip shift that gm puts in. so it doesn't have to pay gas guzzler tax. The z06 is a completely diff story. it has a ls7, and doesn't get that type of milage that the stock vettes get. oh and the ls7 is concidered a small block.
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

haha 500 with just head and cam huh? ..i put 400 to the rear wheels with lpe's 383 stroker set up...with some long tubes i should be near 500 flywheel horse

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I have a 402 big block in my truck that I swapped out a small block 350 for. Yes the name is the deffinition. The Big Block is physically bigger than a small block. There was also a 366 big block. The advantage of the big block is the weight of the crank to make the huge torque over the small block. That's why you could have a 454 with only 255hp, but 405ft lbs tq.

On pump gas without a power adder and with stock cubes would be very very difficult........I haven't seen it yet.

<----im doing it with Trex cam and heads.

Cam only i was 451hp.

im now at 511hp 502ftlbs

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by MISFIT View Post
    <----im doing it with Trex cam and heads.

Cam only i was 451hp.

im now at 511hp 502ftlbs
    fly or wheel?

White with silver stripes
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    haha 500 with just head and cam huh? ..i put 400 to the rear wheels with lpe's 383 stroker set up...with some long tubes i should be near 500 flywheel horse

man those are kinda low numbers for a 383 from lpe, my buddy got a 383 lpe shortblock, stg 3 patriot ls6 heads, a ms3 cam, with all the bolt ons. he made close to 470 rwhp... but 400 at the wheels is impressive none the less, what all do you have on it?

pewter

just picked it up back in june from a 61 yr old man...its exactly as the lpe 383 package comes plus a spec clutch and fikse wheels...stock manifolds still..stock suspension...prolly a real conservitive tune from lpe...and the car had 0 miles on it when that dyno was done...car was sent from the factory brand new to lpe for the work....maybe headers in the spring but the car is fast enough for me as it is for now....need some DRs just to use the power i have now

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Dont confuse CID with RWHP. Big mistake.

pewter

who made the mistake sarge?

red
    98 M6 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    It has to do with the dia. of the cylinder bore, the stroke of the piston, and the specs of the crank shaft.

Yes, 7.0 liters is a 427 Big Block engine. Also the size of the engine block does depict big block to small block. the differences are there, you just have to know what you are looking for and at. Yes, you can bore a small blck to big block specs, but the fact is, its still considered a small block bored 'x' amount over to bring it to big block specs.

396 c.i. displacement and up is considered 'big block', although the 408 and 409's are considered small blocks because those were created with a bored and cranked small block engine
    That's not true. Chewvy made a 400 small block back in the day and also had a 396 big block and now have a 427 small block. It has nothing to do with displacement.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    fly or wheel?

wheel

98' trans am

nice...thats some good shit..keep it up
    Last edited by shady milkman; 09-22-2006 at 10:36 AM.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

I thought what made a big block was the volume inside of the crank case. There is a much more space that is why a big block from the outside looks larger than a smallblock of the same displacement. I don't quite recall if it has less pressure than a small block also.......... oh well.

As for the ls7, i dont think it is worth it, it is only for aesthetic purposes i think. An ls1 can punch out as much power, hell for that much build a stroker.
    If i had that much in a lump to waste i would maybe go the forced induction route.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

LS7 = Warranty. [2 years?]
    Last edited by NHRAMAN; 09-25-2006 at 11:41 AM.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    those numbers are really low, just a cam can get you to 400, the right setup with heads will easily get you to 500 RWHP, but it wont be very streetable

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information