Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Question Ls6 Vs. Weiand...

I've heard Ls6 is the way to go, but is it really that big of a difference for a mild cam only car? I've seen an egr modified (emissions legal) ls6 intake for $550, but I can get an unpolished Weiand for 400 or less brand new, and the factory egr provisions are built in. Is the modified GM Ls6 peice worth the extra $150?? Or are the gains roughly the same for your average street car? This is no dragstrip killer, just a mild ls1 DD. What are your experiences?

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by PushroD View Post
    I've heard Ls6 is the way to go, but is it really that big of a difference for a mild cam only car? I've seen an egr modified (emissions legal) ls6 intake for $550, but I can get an unpolished Weiand for 400 or less brand new, and the factory egr provisions are built in. Is the modified GM Ls6 peice worth the extra $150?? Or are the gains roughly the same for your average street car? This is no dragstrip killer, just a mild ls1 DD. What are your experiences?
    i would get the LS6 without the egr. Can be found for about $370 new from slp. Yes it will throw a code but that can be tuned out for $50. Where are you at in the 'burbs?

Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Smile

I'd considered doing that, but I certainly don't want the ses on, and $50 bucks seems awfully cheap to just turn off EGR systems monitors. Is that really all it would be? If it's really worth a streetable difference, as in accel feel, or real HP # I'd do it though, otherwise, for $100 bucks off, if all things considered they are about the same gain and, if I won't feel the difference between the $150 pricetag of the two on a mild cam car, Why not just pick up the Wieand? Makes sense, right? Sorry if this is irritating or re-hashed, i'm just trying to finalize my research before i click the 'buy it now' button, know what I mean? BTW, i live about 10 min. from WI border. Lake County IL. Where are you at, 99blueZ?
    Last edited by PushroD; 03-07-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Awaiting Activation
    I'd considered doing that, but I'm looking for the easiest upgrade in this area. I certainly don't want the ses on, and $50 bucks seems awfully cheap to just turn off EGR systems monitors. If it's really worth a streetable difference, I'll do it though, otherwise, for $100 bucks off, i can deal w/ an aluminum intake. Makes sense, right? BTW, i live about 10 min. from WI border. Lake County IL. Where are you at, 99blueZ?
    well aluminum isn't any better. The polymer LS6 is lighter and soaks up less heat. Also with no egr you will remove the tube from hanging down in your air intake path. > less restriction. And removing the egr drops like 7lbs off your car - every bit helps. lol - i don't see any advantage the weiand has over the LS6. just my .02

im in chicago on the south side, right by midway airport

Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    well aluminum isn't any better. The polymer LS6 is lighter and soaks up less heat. Also with no egr you will remove the tube from hanging down in your air intake path. > less restriction. And removing the egr drops like 7lbs off your car - every bit helps. lol - i don't see any advantage the weiand has over the LS6. just my .02

im in chicago on the south side, right by midway airport
    So, to be clear, they both offer approx the same gain, right? Would you say the ls6 composite manifold is worth the extra $150 or so? Is it as the old saying goes; 'you get what you pay for' hold true? I'm a man on a budget!
    Thanks for your input, man.

Awaiting Activation
    So, to be clear, they both offer approx the same gain, right? Would you say the ls6 composite manifold is worth the extra $150 or so? Is it as the old saying goes; 'you get what you pay for' hold true? I'm a man on a budget!
    Thanks for your input, man.
    yes, the two both have the same gains. No the old saying doesn't apply here - they will both work great. If you still want your egr then i would go weiand just because of the price. I would never spend $550 for a LS6. You can always check the forsale section of this site an ebay.

Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Talking

Yeah, i kinda wanted to keep the egr for now, but I might remove it later, and seeing as how performance gains are about the same, I'll probably just stuff the extra cash into my pocket for now! I'll keep an eye out in the 'parts for sale' section.

Veteran

Red-orange metallic
    1998 Firebird Formula

Not to hijack the thread...but has anyone tried out the new BBK intake manifold?

White
    1998 Trans Am

I seen the BBK intake. Looks Sweet !
    I run the weiand intake now... The only pro I can think of is you can port the hell out of it !!! But, the biggest down fall that I'm having is the heat... Once it gets hot, it stays hot. Even spraying NO2, it's hot... Bummer...

Veteran

Red-orange metallic
    1998 Firebird Formula

I think the whole heatsoak thing is overrated. It may hurt overall underhood temps but if the aluminum is that bad...why are most of our aftermarket intakes made of Aluminum instead of plastic polymer stuff?

I had a weiand intake but got rid of it because I wanted to go with something bigger in the future.

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

I have the BBK Intake now...I have no complaints...I can port it, it came with the block off plate for the EGR, which I ended up removing later and it was inexpensive...

Quote Originally Posted by Qpred98 View Post
    I think the whole heatsoak thing is overrated. It may hurt overall underhood temps but if the aluminum is that bad...why are most of our aftermarket intakes made of Aluminum instead of plastic polymer stuff?

I had a weiand intake but got rid of it because I wanted to go with something bigger in the future.
    Why indeed?

millenium yellow
    2002 corvette Z06

imo.... the LS6 intake is the BEST option for a mild set-up.
    from there id go to a LSX 90/90.

no way would i replace a SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT polymer intake with a HEAVIER,
    intake that just soaks up a TON of heat and MAKES NO MORE HP THAT A LS6!

sorry, if you want a bling intake.... get a shiny allum. one.... if you want light weight, little heat soak, and good power, go LS6. or LSx.
    315rwhp 98 SILVER Z28 (3500lbs)- SOLD
    400rwhp 99 HUGGER SS (3375lbs)- SOLD
    340rwhp 02 YELLOW Z06 (3040lbs)

White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I have the weiand ls1 intake and I am very happy with it. you can port the crap out of it and it has a nitrous set up if you ever decide to go in that direction. The weiand intake is also much stonger for turbo/ supercharged applications. I did not notice a difference in temperature increase, there was acually a decrease. On most ls1 temperature gauges, the needle sit's around 210 degrees. Mine sit's at around 195 to 200 degrees with the stock thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by spookyz28 View Post
    I have the weiand ls1 intake and I am very happy with it. you can port the crap out of it and it has a nitrous set up if you ever decide to go in that direction. The weiand intake is also much stonger for turbo/ supercharged applications. I did not notice a difference in temperature increase, there was acually a decrease. On most ls1 temperature gauges, the needle sit's around 210 degrees. Mine sit's at around 195 to 200 degrees with the stock thermostat.
    The stock thermostat is junk. I highly doubt its cooler. Id to the "touch" test. When the car is hot, turn it off, open the hood and wait 15 minutes. Touch the intake. Then come back with the result.

As far as porting goes, yes, it can be ported, but is anyone gonna actually do it?

pewter
    02 CAMARO SS

gettin off topic here why sell the HuggerSS? But I'd also go with the LSX

millenium yellow
    2002 corvette Z06

gettin off topic here why sell the HuggerSS?
    sold it to my uncle...

i really wanted a Z06!

pewter
    02 CAMARO SS

lucky uncle. that is a nice Z06 though whatwheels do you have

millenium yellow
    2002 corvette Z06

stock, powder coated black.

black
    1999 Trans Am

i really haven't seen to many people sporting the weiand intake

Thread Information