Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2000 Pontiac Trans-am WS6

Ls6 Intake, What's The Advantage?

What is the advantage of upgrading to an LS6 intake manifold on a mostly stock 2000 LS1 with only a lid, ported TB, and Borla cat back upgrades?
    I will probably never do a cam, head swap or headers so what gains can be expected by upgrading the intake and which one do you guys recommend?
    I know a 90mm would be overkill.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

LS6 manifold is usually worth 8-12 at the wheels. Is it worth $450-$500 for those ponies? That's up to you to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post
    LS6 manifold is usually worth 8-12 at the wheels. Is it worth $450-$500 for those ponies? That's up to you to decide.
    I'm also battling over whether or not to get the LS6 intake with the EGR capability. I really want to get rid of the EGR to clean up the engine but I don't want to fail the OBD II emission test that they do here in NH.

Awaiting Activation
    you can remove the egr and get the codes deleted for like $50 and pass emmissions.

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    you can remove the egr and get the codes deleted for like $50 and pass emmissions.
    Where does someone go to have that done? It sounds like it would be a violation to state law so who would do that for me?

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

you can get it done with a custom tune and get the egr turned off. The ls6 intake will give you a lot more top end power. It is worth the expense. you can find a used one for around 250.00. You can get the code deleted by anyone who has a scanner and is willing to delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty TA View Post
    you can get it done with a custom tune and get the egr turned off. The ls6 intake will give you a lot more top end power. It is worth the expense. you can find a used one for around 250.00. You can get the code deleted by anyone who has a scanner and is willing to delete it.
    That brings me back to my issue with my Diablo Sport Predator flash tuner. If the manufacturer claims it will delete all the EGR and O2 P-codes, then why can't I use it on my car and pass emisions? In other words what good is it as far as deleting codes is concerned if I still can't pass the OBD II emissions test in my state??

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Ponti-MANIac View Post
    Where does someone go to have that done? It sounds like it would be a violation to state law so who would do that for me?
    im sure youre hometown of The Mustafa System wont mind.
    i have all that egr junk off my car and it passes odb.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    LOL......... You're right, here in The Mustafa System we don't get too concerned about emissions

black
    1998 ws6

look in to the fast intake it cost a litle more but more hp

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    I was just going to ask you if you were making a STAR WARS comment, but then I see his location.

I had the Weiand/Lingenfelter/Holley intake and ever since the motor swap from hydrolock, Ive decided I am going to sell it OR trade it for an LS6.

As far as paying that much cash for an intake for such small gains, I dont know. I have headers too, so i may benefit from it a bit more than you.

Wheres the cheapest place to buy one? Summit?

black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

the ls6 intake is nice, but it really comes alive as you mod your car more (heads, cam etc). just bolted up to a basically stock motor, i wouldnt think itd be worth it unless you found a good deal on one.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

man, i still have my Ls6/Zo6 intake on my floor waiting to find the time to install it. got it brand spanking new for $340 shipped back in July. can't wait to see what it will do w/my current mods...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    man, i still have my Ls6/Zo6 intake on my floor waiting to find the time to install it. got it brand spanking new for $340 shipped back in July. can't wait to see what it will do w/my current mods...
    Where the fuck did you get it at that price?
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Ebay, baby!!!

same can be said for my SLP LM, SLP Bellow, SLP Lid (all as a package deal for $450), and Hurst Competition Plus Shifter (6spd), and my Stainless Steel LT's (SSAutoChrome), and Pacesetter ORY...lol

Everyhting but my cam and supporting upgrades have come from Ebay...

Here is what my car currently sounds like. Enjoy...
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 11-16-2006 at 12:38 PM.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponti-MANIac View Post
    its no violation....with the obd2..u can go to emissions with lt headers, no cats, the sickest cam ever...and just delete the codes its throwing and boom...u pass and go on your merry way

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    Ebay, baby!!!

same can be said for my SLP LM, SLP Bellow, SLP Lid (all as a package deal for $450), and Hurst Competition Plus Shifter (6spd), and my Stainless Steel LT's (SSAutoChrome), and Pacesetter ORY...lol

Everyhting but my cam and supporting upgrades have come from Ebay...

Here is what my car currently sounds like. Enjoy...
    I watch the video. u get into the redline 6k u shift? how did you do that? did you set the rpm limiter to 7k and then moved the shift points with the HP Tune? not sure it's healthy to get redline all the time,, they say the power peak is 5,500 so shif 5,600 would be ideal. the rpm limit 6200 should be fine.
    Last edited by djvaly; 11-19-2006 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    its no violation....with the obd2..u can go to emissions with lt headers, no cats, the sickest cam ever...and just delete the codes its throwing and boom...u pass and go on your merry way
    In my state and area, the emission testing OBDII can see that all codes have been cleared. The ecu retains several or many parameters which build over time and can be displayed. Even my actron hand scanner can show when data has been recently erased. Anyway, e-check is not supposed to pass a car with no run data here.

One more thing about the composite LS6 intake manifold; it reflects heat and does not retain it like aluminum. Not only does it flow better but it does not heatsoak. I have a friend with 99 Camaro SS who brings bagged ice to the track to cool his intake. He is going to buy the composite intake for that reason and the added flow.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    I watch the video. u get into the redline 6k u shift? how did you do that? did you set the rpm limiter to 7k and then moved the shift points with the HP Tune? not sure it's healthy to get redline all the time,, they say the power peak is 5,500 so shif 5,600 would be ideal. the rpm limit 6200 should be fine.
    when I swapped cams, and the necessary upgrades for the cam, along with the HP tune, I was able to raise my rev-limiter to 6600rpm. On my dyno sheet I'm still pulling to just over 6000rpm before power starts to drop off. I have a M6 so I shifted by sound since my camera was blocking the view of the tach. That's why the shift was slow between 1st and second. between 2nd and third I was a little quicker and by that time I could see the speedometer needle. I backed off the gas in 3rd gear and then shifted into 4th and turned off the camera because of traffic ahead. basically it was a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear ease into the throttle run to 87mph or so...

Thread Information