Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

LS6 intake question

is an ls6 intake a straight bolt on swap for the 98-00 f-bodies or do you need other parts?

I will assume a new gasket is recommended, .

thanks

kool-aide

hugger orange

it will bolt right on but you will need a vacum cap or two, need to delete your egr system and have thecodes that pop up for the egr turned off in the computer

NBM
    1998Z28

You need the steam tubes for the LS6 intake. The bottom of an LS1 intake is different than a LS6s. And the steam tubes under the intake are different also.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

vacuum cap? what where, huh?

stem tubes?

any one want to take a shot at this in simple english, lol...

seriously I have no clue what you guys are talking about. I'm going to need more info here.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    vacuum cap? what where, huh?

stem tubes?

any one want to take a shot at this in simple english, lol...

seriously I have no clue what you guys are talking about. I'm going to need more info here.
    sorry I did forget about the steam lines.(small heater tubes that run under the intake) you need to grind down some of the webbing under the intake so it can seat right. you will see them when you pop your intake off.
    you cap find vacume caps at any parts store. the map sensor is on the back of your intake facing the dash, it has a vacume tree with a line going to your egr. just unplug the connector and hose then plug the hose with a cap.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

I live in the south, any reason I would want steam lines? I'm one of those that don't need things like TB coolant heating up my air.

I guess I am still not picturing this correctly. I haven't seen a 01 or 02 F-Body so I don't have a mental picture to go by.

I'm not sure why I would need to grind any webbing? Why would the upper part of an LS1 be different?

It sounds like the extra parts are rubber caps to plug up old stuff not used any more. Ugh...I'm really trying to get a good idea of what you guys are talking about and unfortunately ad photos, ebay pics, and stuff on the web doesn't cut it.
    Last edited by kool-aide; 09-26-2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: can't spell worth a darn.

hugger orange

just have a 4" grinder on hand to do a minute or two of work when you pop your factory intake off and look at the new one you will see the difference.....yes you need the steam lines

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

for me it was finding an egr block off plate, take out the egr, grind the fins down where they would hit the lines running under the intake and put the thing on, shouldnt need anything extra but the block off plate man. heres a link to a thread I started when I was installing my manifold, theres some links on the page that show where to grind the fins, also look out for the opsu.
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...e+install+ls-6

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

thanks...

so, now i'm curious, what do the steam lines do?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

hmm, so as far as I can tell if you do a LS1 to LS6 intake swap all you need to do is chisel or grind the bottom.

It seems you don't need any additional parts if you are willing to massage the bottom of the LS6 intake for clearance of the existing plumbing and junk.

Does this sound about right?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

yes your right the only additional piece you need is the egr block off plate. The steam lines on the our earlier models supposedly vent the 7th cylinder a little better than the new models. I have heard of people actually just crushing the lines while torqueing the manifold down, but not a wise move, if you chisel the fins down and get rid of the 2 plastic clips holding the sensor wires down your golden, just make sure to study the opsu and all that can go wrong.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    yes your right the only additional piece you need is the egr block off plate. The steam lines on the our earlier models supposedly vent the 7th cylinder a little better than the new models. I have heard of people actually just crushing the lines while torqueing the manifold down, but not a wise move, if you chisel the fins down and get rid of the 2 plastic clips holding the sensor wires down your golden, just make sure to study the opsu and all that can go wrong.
    hey man thanks for the info, I have an 04 goat so I never saw the steam lines, or really knew what porpose they served, I was just going with what friends and others that have the original ls1 version.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    hey man thanks for the info, I have an 04 goat so I never saw the steam lines, or really knew what porpose they served, I was just going with what friends and others that have the original ls1 version.
    yours came with the ls-6, did you swap for a fast or did you have an ls-1 before?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

One more thing, I don't if there is a difference between a4's and m6's when it comes to vacuums, and you decide to remove the air pump assembly completley you will not need any sort of vacuum caps. During my install I thought I had to block off what I found out to be the a/c vaccum and my a/c didn't work till I hooked it back up.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    yours came with the ls-6, did you swap for a fast or did you have an ls-1 before?
    i still have the stock ls6 intake.... lol if i didnt have alot of big bills id have the fast intake, cam, and all the other goodies

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

thanks guys.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    it will bolt right on but you will need a vacum cap or two, need to delete your egr system and have thecodes that pop up for the egr turned off in the computer
    What are the vacuum caps for?? I didn't need any when I did my LS6 install on my '98 M6 LS1. I just ground down the bottom of the manifold to make clearance for the coolant crossover pipes and removed the EGR injection tube.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    What are the vacuum caps for?? I didn't need any when I did my LS6 install on my '98 M6 LS1. I just ground down the bottom of the manifold to make clearance for the coolant crossover pipes and removed the EGR injection tube.
    you didn't have a vacuum (T) on the back of your intake that had a line going to the egr? don't know, maybe they changed a line here and there over the years.
    I haven't done the swap myself, my goat has the ls6 intake from the factory.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Parts needed and how to instructions....

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5

green
    2000 trans am

hey, wouldn't it be easier if someone was doing a switch over from a ls1 w/ egr to an ls2 intake, to just look for the coolant lines that come with that intake? or maybe get them at an auto part store or even ebay?......just asking because i'm also doing an intake swap....( ls2 off a '05 GTO)

Thread Information