Results 1 to 20 of 20

LS6 intake manifold swap complete (but)

This is a discussion on LS6 intake manifold swap complete (but) within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; swap whent ok but the first test run i romped on it not hard but heard a quik ping then ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member doberman 152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,042

    Black
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

    LS6 intake manifold swap complete (but)

    swap whent ok but the first test run i romped on it not hard but heard a quik ping then whent away, second romp less of a quik ping then no more .
    is this normal because i got rid of the EGR ?

  2. #2
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Possibly,,,since the EGR is no longer in the intake,(and or not operational),,you get a cooler intake but the trade off is a hotter combustion chamber. We all know hotter combustion chambers promote detonation.

    May have taken the computer a little while to adjust and pull timing as needed.

  3. #3
    Senior Member doberman 152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,042

    Black
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Possibly,,,since the EGR is no longer in the intake,(and or not operational),,you get a cooler intake but the trade off is a hotter combustion chamber. We all know hotter combustion chambers promote detonation.

    May have taken the computer a little while to adjust and pull timing as needed.
    thats what i was thinking .

  4. #4
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Possibly,,,since the EGR is no longer in the intake,(and or not operational),,you get a cooler intake but the trade off is a hotter combustion chamber. We all know hotter combustion chambers promote detonation.

    May have taken the computer a little while to adjust and pull timing as needed.
    yup i was thinking early det. and pcm just needed to readjust...but you are mr.fancy pants with your combustion chamber

  5. #5
    Senior Member doberman 152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,042

    Black
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    yup i was thinking early det. and pcm just needed to readjust...but you are mr.fancy pants with your combustion chamber


  6. #6
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    yup i was thinking early det. and pcm just needed to readjust...but you are mr.fancy pants with your combustion chamber
    Sorry to be so technical,,,

  7. #7
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    there's actually a timing adder in the spark tables for the egr. If/when you get it tuned you'll have to get that table zero'd.

  8. #8
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Hmmm, I wonder if it is zeroed on the non EGR car (01-02)

    I know it's disabled from the factory but I was thinking of re-enabling it to power my wideband if I ever get around to it. I'll have to take a closer look at that table before I turn it on.

    P.S. sent ya an email Orion.

  9. #9
    Senior Member doberman 152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,042

    Black
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    there's actually a timing adder in the spark tables for the egr. If/when you get it tuned you'll have to get that table zero'd.
    Im taking the car to a local speed shop to delete all this, the'll know what to do for me ( i hope)

  10. #10
    Senior Member doberman 152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,042

    Black
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

    Wow, what a differance in power this one mod makes
    gotta save more $$$ now it just isnt enough
    longtubes next...

  11. #11
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Glad to read it is a noticeable HP improvement. I want an LS6 intake dammit!! However, there should be no EGR with over 80% throttle, since the PCM is going full rich at that point. Rich fuel ratios lower combustion temps, negating any EGR needs. EGR is mainly used under light to moderate loads when the engine is at normal operating temps.

  12. #12
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Glad to read it is a noticeable HP improvement. I want an LS6 intake dammit!! However, there should be no EGR with over 80% throttle, since the PCM is going full rich at that point. Rich fuel ratios lower combustion temps, negating any EGR needs. EGR is mainly used under light to moderate loads when the engine is at normal operating temps.
    what you run into though is knock on tip in. Back when I removed my egr there was no table defined for egr with edit so I had to manually find the points and remove timing there using this formula to find it on the table g/cyl = 15 * MAF(g/sec) / RPM. Then I would pull timing from the referenced cell and surrounding cells to smooth it. It was a major pain in the ass to say the least, then the other tuners came out and defined that table. Made it much easier.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    ^^^ That is right. Knock on tip in. Sounds exactly what he is describing.

  14. #14
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    ^^^ That is right. Knock on tip in. Sounds exactly what he is describing.
    yep, that tip in knock will decay throughout the entire run too unless you play with the decay rates.

  15. #15
    Senior Member doberman 152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,042

    Black
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    there's actually a timing adder in the spark tables for the egr. If/when you get it tuned you'll have to get that table zero'd.
    i take it in next week the guy said 50 bucks to shut the egr off and see what else he can do for me while the things hooked up, he's a honest guy i got a friend that takes his 02 SS there . anything i can ask him to do while my car is hooked up?

  16. #16
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    list all of your mods out and any mod plans you have coming up in the near future.

  17. #17
    Senior Member doberman 152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,042

    Black
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    list all of your mods out and any mod plans you have coming up in the near future.
    thanks didnt think of that...

  18. #18
    tattoo artist,esquire sic2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, California
    Age
    48
    Posts
    416

    navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    what you run into though is knock on tip in. Back when I removed my egr there was no table defined for egr with edit so I had to manually find the points and remove timing there using this formula to find it on the table g/cyl = 15 * MAF(g/sec) / RPM. Then I would pull timing from the referenced cell and surrounding cells to smooth it. It was a major pain in the ass to say the least, then the other tuners came out and defined that table. Made it much easier.
    Ive been having this same "knock on tip in" for a long time now, even before my heads/cam job. I had the car tuned at Cunningham motorsports too and they are suppose to know LS1's great. I took my car to the dealership yesterday for this problem and they wont work on it since it's not stock. I had them do the injector cleaner anyway and have my bumper cover painted so dont get it back till Mon so I can use all the info on this you know.
    GMPP LS6 crate motor,racetronix,Wilwood 6 piston,HID's,200mph speedo,full dynomat, GY F1's,17" Y2K, Alpine audio upgrade,3" ele cutout, LT's, catted-Y, full suspension

  19. #19
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    sic2001, I've been following you and that other lean runner, LS1MuNkY. Have you check your fuel pressure, yet?

  20. #20
    tattoo artist,esquire sic2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, California
    Age
    48
    Posts
    416

    navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

    yeah, fuel pressure was GREAT w/racetronix pump. It runs great now though, I did headers w/cats and Air delete. So I'm pretty sure the problem was in the Air system.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. LS6 Intake Manifold plus H/C/I swap parts
    By pjeff7 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 01:22 PM
  2. LS6 intake manifold and 227 Intake runners
    By IT_SS in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 03:11 PM
  3. Looking to swap to an LS6 manifold
    By jigger1166 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 04:33 PM
  4. 2001 Camaro: Coil Packs (complete), PS Manifold, LS6 Intake
    By Vettezuki in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 10:31 PM
  5. ls6 intake manifold swap
    By zman98 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 04:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •