Red
    98 Trans Am

LS6 intake and the dreaded EGR :(

I got an LS6 intake coming with no EGR provisions (true ls6)
    and am blessed with an 98 ls1 red-headed-step child
    ive been wondering about this topic now. I want to be legal as possible but tuning is s bit of an issue for my DD. Im stationed in Germany and sending my PCM out is kinda a problem. Maybe during the summer time when the kids are not in school and whatnot, but right now, not soo much. And i no i dont want to walk around post while its cold, snowy and rainy. Ya i know, suck it up lol.
    Now ive been kicking these ideas in my head,

1. Blockoff plates, delete EGR/AIR, and get it tuned.

2. Some how find the ls6 EGR adaptor kit that i cant find that lingerfelt use to sell i think.

3. My least fav idea... drill/tapping into the ls6 intake to "recive" the EGR tube. so far i havnt seen very good jobs of this. good pics would be nice.

I wish i could have gotten the SLP ls6 intake, but I got my ls6 intake for pretty cheap.

Now does anyone have an LS6 intake manny and adapted it for EGR? pics would be nice. And perferably no epoxy nightmares please lol.
    I also seen some old threads that said lingerfelter use to make LS6 EGR adaptor kits but i cant seem to find it anywhere. Need help.
    I went ahead and bought some EGR/AIR billet blockoff plates, but id rather keep the emissions stuff for inspections.

Black
    2000 SS

I say option # 1

I have an LS6 intake with the whole for the EGR and wish i didnt.. I covered up the whole tho and removed all the EGR/AIR crap...
    1967 Camaro - LS1 T56 project
    2003 Z06 - Procharged and LTs
    2001 Honda Civic EX - DD
    2005 Kawaski KFX400
    2000 Camaro SS m6 - 523rwhp 468rwtq - (Sold)

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

cap the EGR and have it tuned out... when they inspect your car they won't notice it missing...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Option 1, they didn't inspect that hard when I was there long, long while back. If I remember right all they cared about was - your First Aid Kit and Fire Extinguisher are current, Tires had good tread, Lights, Gas Cap worked properly and you had a muffler.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Yeah, the german inspection is more about visual safety and proper funtion of the car. More cars are inoped by worn ball joints and rust here then somthing as simple as EGR lol
    but im thinking more the lines of traveling in the states when i get back and by chance get stationed back in texas. I passes in El paso but that was when i was running stock. NOt sure what FT hodd areas like with inspections.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Can i have the EGR/AIR tunes out and sitll have it on there for "visual" sake. I think im gonna go with a tune but getting it here is the prob. Im thinking of going with Nelson performance since they ship a tuned PCM to you and you send your old one back.
    Since they are a sponsor here i take it they are reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Option 1, they didn't inspect that hard when I was there long, long while back. If I remember right all they cared about was - your First Aid Kit and Fire Extinguisher are current, Tires had good tread, Lights, Gas Cap worked properly and you had a muffler.
    Sounds exactly just like what Cincinnati used to do every year back in the 70's. Just your typical safety inspection, which is a good thing judging by the crap I see on the roads nowadays. I wish they still did that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    Can i have the EGR/AIR tunes out and sitll have it on there for "visual" sake. I think im gonna go with a tune but getting it here is the prob. Im thinking of going with Nelson performance since they ship a tuned PCM to you and you send your old one back.
    Since they are a sponsor here i take it they are reliable?
    You can have it there if you like and make it "LOOK" functional, and just turn it off in the tune. Make sure to cut the pipe back that sticks down into the air path behind the throttle body,,,that was one of the free mods back when the cars were new.

Otherwise just remove it and install a cheap rubber expansion plug to cap the hole. It depends on how knowledgable the inspector is as to whether he would catch that EGR missing or not. It's a gamble, and if the car has to be checked for emissions equipment, you'll have to decide if you want to take that chance.

Edit: I just realized you have the non EGR LS6 intake. If you want to keep the EGR, I'd tune it out, then trim the pipe so it fits snug at the top of the blank hole, put the plate and bolt in it and make it look like it belongs.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-15-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You can have it there if you like and make it "LOOK" functional, and just turn it off in the tune. Make sure to cut the pipe back that sticks down into the air path behind the throttle body,,,that was one of the free mods back when the cars were new.

Otherwise just remove it and install a cheap rubber expansion plug to cap the hole. It depends on how knowledgable the inspector is as to whether he would catch that EGR missing or not. It's a gamble, and if the car has to be checked for emissions equipment, you'll have to decide if you want to take that chance.

Edit: I just realized you have the non EGR LS6 intake. If you want to keep the EGR, I'd tune it out, then trim the pipe so it fits snug at the top of the blank hole, put the plate and bolt in it and make it look like it belongs.

Looks like ill go with the tune and mock up evrything to look like it still works. I went a ordered a Tuned Nelson PCM to me.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Can i have the EGR/AIR tunes out and sitll have it on there for "visual" sake.
    no need... you can say "i did a motor swap for a 2004 ls1 since i blew my old one up" and they can't do shit...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Ask ws6mama she lives near there I believe. It's been over a decade since I was last at Hood.

Black
    2002 Z/28

Im in Fort Worth, Tx and all they do is hook it up to the test computer and let it read the pcm and thats it!

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

I got an LS6 intake coming with no EGR provisions (true ls6)
    and am blessed with an 98 ls1 red-headed-step child
    ive been wondering about this topic now. I want to be legal as possible but tuning is s bit of an issue for my DD. Im stationed in Germany and sending my PCM out is kinda a problem. Maybe during the summer time when the kids are not in school and whatnot, but right now, not soo much. And i no i dont want to walk around post while its cold, snowy and rainy. Ya i know, suck it up lol.
    Now ive been kicking these ideas in my head,

1. Blockoff plates, delete EGR/AIR, and get it tuned.

2. Some how find the ls6 EGR adaptor kit that i cant find that lingerfelt use to sell i think.

3. My least fav idea... drill/tapping into the ls6 intake to "recive" the EGR tube. so far i havnt seen very good jobs of this. good pics would be nice.

I wish i could have gotten the SLP ls6 intake, but I got my ls6 intake for pretty cheap.

Now does anyone have an LS6 intake manny and adapted it for EGR? pics would be nice. And perferably no epoxy nightmares please lol.
    I also seen some old threads that said lingerfelter use to make LS6 EGR adaptor kits but i cant seem to find it anywhere. Need help.
    I went ahead and bought some EGR/AIR billet blockoff plates, but id rather keep the emissions stuff for inspections.

2 is really 3. Don't do either, based on experience.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

You may want to make block-off plates and sandwich them between the pipe and the exhaust manifold to keep any exhaust from going up into the mocked up system. Otherwise you'll have a slight exhaust leak where you have the top tube mocked up. My suggestion would be to remove the EGR completely and put the block-off plates on it. Make sure to paint the plates with some high-temp black paint to keep them from being too noticeable. Once you have them turned off in your tune it won't matter much to a visual inspection.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Red
    98 Trans Am

WEll i decided to get a spare PCM and sent that to Frost. So im getting the EGR tuned out Found one on ebay for $200. Its on its way to Frost. Finaly gonna get a tune by Frost I have EGR block off plates on the way too.
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-21-2011 at 01:07 AM.

Thread Information