Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ls6 Intake

This is a discussion on Ls6 Intake within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by SSwt00SS Pick up these components, install and retune: FAST 90/90 combo U/D pulley 42 lb/hr injectors Skip ...

black trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    Pick up these components, install and retune:

FAST 90/90 combo
    U/D pulley
    42 lb/hr injectors

Skip the Ls6 intake. Used 90/90 combos are cheap now since the 92 & 102 FAST's are out. Your half way to a 90/90 combo just by buying the Ls6 intake. It's a joke. I know this from first hand personal experience. I went the Ls6 route, smartened up and got a 90/90 combo that really woke my car up!!! Trust me. You'll thank me later.
    thats all fine and dandy but every ones a arm and a leg for a fast 90

Yep,,,and that's just it. How much money do you want to spend,,,,or better yet,,,how fast do you want to go??

For a fun street car,,,I find the FAST intake stuff a little pricey. If it were an all out effort car,,,then sure I can see spending the dough.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    thats all fine and dandy but every ones a arm and a leg for a fast 90

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yep,,,and that's just it. How much money do you want to spend,,,,or better yet,,,how fast do you want to go??

For a fun street car,,,I find the FAST intake stuff a little pricey. If it were an all out effort car,,,then sure I can see spending the dough.

the Ls6 will be a choke point for his setup, IMO. it was for mine

i went from an Ls6 intake putting down 409/386 to a FAST 90/90 combo (i ported, w/write up on this site) to 444/395. that cost me $900 over 3 1/2 yrs ago. prices have dropped and ive seen them in the $600-700 range.

by the time he buys the coolant lines, maybe chooses to port/polish his TB. the price gap closes to simlpy favor getting the 90/90 combo.
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 04-07-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

An ls6 is much easier to find than a 90/90 combo. I haven't seen to many 90/90 at all recently.

Where are you finding them nowadays?

black trans am

i went from an Ls6 intake putting down 409/386 to a FAST 90/90 combo (i ported, w/write up on this site) to 444/395. that cost me $900 over 3 1/2 yrs ago. prices have dropped and ive seen them in the $600-700 range.

by the time he buys the coolant lines, maybe chooses to port/polish his TB. the price gap closes to simlpy favor getting the 90/90 combo.
    o yea im geting killed my mine now but ill deal with it. i not going to spend 1300+ for a intake.

black trans am

has any one dynoed a car with a ls6 maxed out yet?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

has any one dynoed a car with a ls6 maxed out yet?
    Maxed out as in power starts falling off up top? No but in high performance setups the ls6 is a choking point, the guy above who went from 409-444 with just a fast swap is proof they are a choking point up there but imo not a necessity for a basic h/c ls1 this guys should be making a lot more power even without a fast

black trans am

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Maxed out as in power starts falling off up top? No but in high performance setups the ls6 is a choking point, the guy above who went from 409-444 with just a fast swap is proof they are a choking point up there but imo not a necessity for a basic h/c ls1 this guys should be making a lot more power even without a fast
    im lokking for my self lol. my heads flowed 297 @500 lol i pull a vac at 4400...
    i pulled my filter and i didnt pull a vac till 4800.... im thinking about runing just tb and see if that does not help any more...

im have my car thued for sd mode so my maf is useless i just need to pop a iat and sit that some where....

o and some ones was talking about injectors i didnt max them out till 5200 (the stock 26ers)
    then went to 42s and they still didnt help. the stock pump would drop psi... thats all fixed now..
    Last edited by blackbirdbrain89; 04-08-2011 at 07:46 AM.

Oh I don't doubt that a bit. You can stick a fast on a bone stock LS motor and pull out more power. I only question the cost verses power output. It's alot of smack to lay down for most people building what are considered mild street cars.
    4th gens with 400 rwhp are 11 second cars, and alot of them are doing it with LS6 intakes and are perfectly happy. It's just a matter of how fast do you really want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    the guy above who went from 409-444 with just a fast swap is proof they are a choking point up there but imo not a necessity for a basic h/c ls1 this guys should be making a lot more power even without a fast

I agree, they aren't necessary for a mild street car. I also agree,,,that's not really this guys issue. That car should be going faster than it is even with the LS1 intake.
    Dyno numbers of 325 or 330 hp (what ever it was) along with a 108 mph trap speed is indicative of a nearly stock LS1, intake or not.

That's why I mentioned the first thing that popped into my head,,,,fuel delivery issues??........

o yea im geting killed my mine now but ill deal with it. i not going to spend 1300+ for a intake.
    And that's what I have an issue with. Not just the intake itself that's expensive, it's all the other little crap that adds up.

Correct me here if I'm off base, but you also need to buy a larger 90mm throttle body for starters. If you are doing that,,,,I personally would want the rest of the intake track to match,,,meaning a larger MAF (if you still use it) as well as a larger lid to match that diameter (or something custom) otherwise I feel it's all for not. With a smaller intake track it's just a bottle neck. Kind of like running a carb setup with a killer intake on a 408 and then sticking a 600 cfm carb on it

I'm not even sure your factory fuel rails will bolt on the FAST setup,,,so that could be another expense possibly??

Overall I just don't see it as a cheap bolt on. I'm thinking $1500 by the time it's all said and done (in my case).
    I'd have to be building an all out track car to want to throw down that kind of money on an intake.

black trans am

And that's what I have an issue with. Not just the intake itself that's expensive, it's all the other little crap that adds up.

Correct me here if I'm off base, but you also need to buy a larger 90mm throttle body for starters. If you are doing that,,,,I personally would want the rest of the intake track to match,,,meaning a larger MAF (if you still use it) as well as a larger lid to match that diameter (or something custom) otherwise I feel it's all for not. With a smaller intake track it's just a bottle neck. Kind of like running a carb setup with a killer intake on a 408 and then sticking a 600 cfm carb on it

I'm not even sure your factory fuel rails will bolt on the FAST setup,,,so that could be another expense possibly??

Overall I just don't see it as a cheap bolt on. I'm thinking $1500 by the time it's all said and done (in my case).
    I'd have to be building an all out track car to want to throw down that kind of money on an intake.
    im with u 100%.. my cars a dd..

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Just by looking at people's sigs, it looks like people are using the LS2 fuel rail on the FAST 102, but I don't think all of em require a different rail.

black trans am

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Just by looking at people's sigs, it looks like people are using the LS2 fuel rail on the FAST 102, but I don't think all of em require a different rail.
    the 92 and 102 need a ls3 style i think.. i dont know id a ls2 would work.. it may im not 100% on that

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

...correction...

Stock MAF works no problem.

SLP Lid again, works no problem. One can elect to go to a 104mm lid if they want.

Stock Ls1 fuels rails are a direct bolt-on fit.

People will drop $1200+ on Stainless Steel LT's ONLY and people simply say, 'oh, ok, justiafible', but to spend near/less than that to get an intake/tb combo, and the world suddenly says, 'whoa, hold on, not worth it!?'

i gained more from my 90/90 set up than i did from LT's and a retune. i realize it's apples to oranges, but work with me people.

im not trying to change anyones opinion or view, im simply providing information of what has been proven time and time again and what i have found out from personal firsthand experience.

ok, so here is a port 92, so a 90 unported would be cheaper. point is, they are out there. just gotta know where to look and when to jump!

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/parts-...f-updated.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/parts-...dual-tips.html

pic to show my 90/90 with SLP lid, bellow, stock MAF and stock fuel rails w/stock injectors (at the time). now have 42 lb/hr injectors:

Last edited by SSwt00SS; 04-08-2011 at 12:36 PM.

...correction...

Stock MAF works no problem.

SLP Lid again, works no problem. One can elect to go to a 104mm lid if they want.

Stock Ls1 fuels rails are a direct bolt-on fit.

See that's where I differ. I'm not sticking a big 90mm intake and throttle body on there just to choke it down with a stock 78-80 mm MAF. Then you have horrible looking rubber intake adapters to make it work. You may as well go all the way with a bigger MAF,,,,or just go SD and get rid of the stupid thing all together and pick up a few more ponies.
    Same goes for the lid,,,,why stick the stock stuff back on after you just spent time and money for the bigger intake??

I see it done the way you describe and just feel it's not worth the effort for me. Do the whole thing or nothing at all is how I approach it.

Nice to see the stock LS1 fuel rails are a direct swap though.

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

also, FBJ, when mentioning Fast 90/90, 92/92, or 102 combo etc., it is for both the Fast 90mm intake and 90mm TB together, and lager FAST combos respectively.

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

See that's where I differ. I'm not sticking a big 90mm intake and throttle body on there just to choke it down with a stock 78-80 mm MAF. Then you have horrible looking rubber intake adapters to make it work. You may as well go all the way with a bigger MAF,,,,or just go SD and get rid of the stupid thing all together and pick up a few more ponies.
    Same goes for the lid,,,,why stick the stock stuff back on after you just spent time and money for the bigger intake??

I see it done the way you describe and just feel it's not worth the effort for me. Do the whole thing or nothing at all is how I approach it.

Nice to see the stock LS1 fuel rails are a direct swap though.
    well, there is the FAST 78mm...

...i gained more from my 90/90 set up than i did from LT's and a retune. i realize it's apples to oranges, but work with me people.
    I figured as much. Headers aren't worth a whole lot on LS1's anyway. The stock manifolds (especially 01-02) aren't all that bad of a piece to begin with. Most people only see 10-15 HP differences swapping headers.
    I only gained a tenth and 1 mph after my swap,,,and that included an off road Y at the same time and a retune.

well, there is the FAST 78mm...
    Ya I had thought about those, but they came and went just like the 90 has now. I would just rather keep the entire intake track uniform without the bottle necks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information