Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

ls6 or fast intake ???

This is a discussion on ls6 or fast intake ??? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by richard head SORRY FOR THE HIJACK! lol yeah, it's strange. I've leaned it out almost to 13.0 ...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    SORRY FOR THE HIJACK! lol

yeah, it's strange. I've leaned it out almost to 13.0 and seafoamed it three times in the past year but it gets terrible gas mileage for an a4 LS1, like 17/23, so maybe i should just step up, interesting. It runs SD too now but let me look at some old logs to make sure it didn't just start when i went SD because the money would be better spent on a WB if it's a problem with the tune.

EDIT: the highest i can find on MAF logs is 75, and the torque PID reads over 100 ft. lbs lower than currently in SD. I think it's completely not accurate, but even if the margin of error is +-40 then that's a huge difference. In some places it's more like 125. Could the MAF delete have perked it up so much that i am in fact moving 20+% more air at WOT and am consequently making that much more power? it hits KR sometimes so i know it isn't too rich, also.

2nd EDIT: with an 85mm screenless ZO6 MAF it was hitting 82% and as much as 340 ft-lbs, currently it maxxes out at around 102% and 430 ft-lbs (ft lbs on the pid, not a dyno or anything believable) the pids are consistent with SOTP and each other, so I believe that they are a somewhat-accurate way to test out my changes. the biggest calc. hp # i've pulled out of this car, which would be at the crank, is 435@5800 RPM. I don't think it's that accurate, there is no way a stock ls1 with a cutout and airlid can make that kind of power, even at the crank. I do, however, think that the !MAF mod was a great way to make it breathe better and I think these #'s prove it; the maf logs are consistently in the same range, which is higher when !maf.
    Why are you running SD?

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

have you seen a MAF? it gets better mileage and is faster without that thing in the way.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

have you seen a MAF? it gets better mileage and is faster without that thing in the way.
    I know it reacts faster but I have never heard of it being more efficient. SD is not even necessary with your setup.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I know it reacts faster but I have never heard of it being more efficient. SD is not even necessary with your setup.
    this is somewhat irrelevant. my question is simply should i upgrade to bigger injectors or just stick with the stockers? i think my car has some plugged up, i'm about to go pull the #7 cylinder at the very least because i think that's where a big problem is.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

upgrade to larger injectors but make sure you tune for it

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

this is somewhat irrelevant. my question is simply should i upgrade to bigger injectors or just stick with the stockers? i think my car has some plugged up, i'm about to go pull the #7 cylinder at the very least because i think that's where a big problem is.
    while you have everything tore down to check out the #7 cylinder, go ahead and upgrade to larger injectors. all that has to come off to check it anyways so do it then...

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

how does one tune for larger injectors? just change the psi in the injector table, right? i went ahead and tore it all apart earlier and i can't see anything nasty in the #7 injector but i think it's prob. a good idea to go ahead and just make the swap like you guys are saying. best bet to replace them soon is probably a dealership, should i go for like stock ls6 injectors or what?

98' trans am

how does one tune for larger injectors? just change the psi in the injector table, right? i went ahead and tore it all apart earlier and i can't see anything nasty in the #7 injector but i think it's prob. a good idea to go ahead and just make the swap like you guys are saying. best bet to replace them soon is probably a dealership, should i go for like stock ls6 injectors or what?
    alot of people like the svo injectors etc...look around..dont go gm stealership

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

stock size is 26#, right? so i'd need at least a 30# injector. man, 300 bucks at ws6store.

98' trans am

stock size is 26#, right? so i'd need at least a 30# injector. man, 300 bucks at ws6store.
    changed from year to year..but there is a injector calc on the internet that will tell you what you should be running

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

how do you disconnect the damn fuel line on the driver's side from the fuel rail? clearly i have to pull the fuel rail to get the injectors and clips back on, but i cannot figure out how to pull the thing off. is there a special tool or anything that i need? NVM i got it. What a PITA though!!! my hands hurt way worse than just the stupid spark plugs and i'm not even done yet
    Last edited by richard head; 10-24-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

lol @ my previous post. i was pissed. I got 'em in and everything's gravy. stft's are -18 sometimes but other than that, car seems to be running great. hopefully will help with mileage and i know for sure the annoying tick coming from cyl #7 has stopped. stft's are still off bank to bank but i'm cool with that. i foresee a change of spark plugs coming up real quick here.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

oh btw i went with ford 42# ones.

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

26 is right for our year (2000) that i know. when i upgraded injectors were on sale. i got Lucas 42 lb/hr injectors for the price of 36 lb/hr...

i would go 42# if i were you. they will handle just about anything else you throw at them...

98' trans am

dont the svo's lose their rating a little when matched with the ls1..like 36 becomes low 30s or something along those lines

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    dont the svo's lose their rating a little when matched with the ls1..like 36 becomes low 30s or something along those lines
    interesting... i don't know. i found an HPTuners table someone else wrote for them and put it in, i think it does look like that because the highest value it hits is like 42.6 or something. stock ones are 26.4 but the table would read up to almost 29 for them.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Never heard that before. 36's are 36's and 42's are 42's.

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

are you sure you arent confusing that with injectors that come 'flow-matched' to within 1% +/- of each other? either way, one doesnt need to purchase flow-matched injectors since tuning addresses it...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I have noticed that in the last couple of weeks, someone has been selling damaged FAST intakes. some need major repair and some are just minor defects. They still go for alot a money!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information