Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

ls6 or fast intake ???

This is a discussion on ls6 or fast intake ??? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by INMY01TA stock rails and injectors here. Stock rails and injectors here also. Unless you have money buring ...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    stock rails and injectors here.
    Stock rails and injectors here also. Unless you have money buring your pocket, you can use stock.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    Not trying to hijack this thread, just take it a little further. If you run the FAST intake and TB, should you use the fuel rails and injectors as well?
    I am going to AFR heads, and a FAST 90.
    Currently at 364 RWHP and 12.37.
    Want to get to 400 and the 11s.
    well truth be told you should see how busy your injectors are. with those numbers i would believe your all set. but for future reference not having big enough injectors are like trying to drink a shake out of a coffee stirrer

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    Not trying to hijack this thread, just take it a little further. If you run the FAST intake and TB, should you use the fuel rails and injectors as well?
    I am going to AFR heads, and a FAST 90.
    Currently at 364 RWHP and 12.37.
    Want to get to 400 and the 11s.
    stock fuel rails here. i just upgraded to 42lb/hr injectors a couple months ago when i installed an U/D pulley and EWP...

i was running both stock rails/injectors when i was 444/395 to the ground. though cars are different, keep an eye on your injectors duty cycle. anything over 90% and it would be a good idea to swap for larger ones, though you don't 'have' too. hope this helps...
    2000 SS - The Wicked Witch: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_girl30
    I was hoping to just hump her up the exhaust cause she is so damn sexy....
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

White
    2001 Z28

Thanks for the input!

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    stock fuel rails here. i just upgraded to 42lb/hr injectors a couple months ago when i installed an U/D pulley and EWP...

i was running both stock rails/injectors when i was 444/395 to the ground. though cars are different, keep an eye on your injectors duty cycle. anything over 90% and it would be a good idea to swap for larger ones, though you don't 'have' too. hope this helps...
    copy cat

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    copy cat
    i just used the techincal appropriate words...

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

when you get a ls6 manifold, can you just take out the ls1 manifold and just replace it without adding anything new to it or you need more things?

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

and how do you tell if its a ls6 or a ls1 manifold if you are buying it used?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakiller99 View Post
    when you get a ls6 manifold, can you just take out the ls1 manifold and just replace it without adding anything new to it or you need more things?
    ok well it is advised that you buy the ls6 coolant pipes...but trimming the fins off of the bottom side of the ls6 will work also. You will need egr and air block off plates and the codes tuned off. also you will need ls6 intake manifold gaskets if none are supplied. How do you tell the diff between a ls6 and a ls1 intake..the ls1 has egr spots on the top of the intake. thats the easiest

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

check the part number that's on the top of the intake...

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

thanks guys

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

here

here you go..a simple search would have backed up what i was saying instead of calling me out saying hearsay and have no base...to 9t8 i just did a quick search...search a lil more and you should find it out.
    Note that the test performed was on the LS3/L92 intake. Its quite different from the LS1/LS6 intake in many ways, so the results will most likely be different for our motors. I don't think anyones tested the LS1/LS6 Street Warrior as of yet, but the results are supposed to be much better, as much as 30WHP over an LS6 on a bolt-on car.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

my stock LS1 occasionally hits 101-102 at WOT on hptuners. I'm using a stock motor with an intake, exhaust and tune and i've cut out the MAF sensor - car's running great but there's no way i should be maxxing like this, right?

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    my stock LS1 occasionally hits 101-102 at WOT on hptuners. I'm using a stock motor with an intake, exhaust and tune and i've cut out the MAF sensor - car's running great but there's no way i should be maxxing like this, right?
    doesnt sound like you should be. over 100% duty cycle means your injectors are open all the time which could mean you could be running rich. dumping a lot of fuel in there, are you sure gas milage hasnt suffered? i have not heard of a near stock car with injectors maxed out. it would benefit you to step-up injectors size. it would help to extend both the life of your injectors and fuel system as a whole...

otherwise, nail down the tune and adjust the timing so you dont peak over 100% duty cycle on WOT runs...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

ok well it is advised that you buy the ls6 coolant pipes...but trimming the fins off of the bottom side of the ls6 will work also. You will need egr and air block off plates and the codes tuned off. also you will need ls6 intake manifold gaskets if none are supplied. How do you tell the diff between a ls6 and a ls1 intake..the ls1 has egr spots on the top of the intake. thats the easiest
    I would recommend NOT trimming the ribbing under the intake so that you can save money and retain the factory LS1 coolant crossover. Your intake will leak. Trust me, I have had my intake off many times, and I clearly saw the oil seaping out of the gasket that seals the intake to the head. I went from around 18-19 inches of vacuum to around 25-26 just by swapping the coolant crossovers. Spend the $60 and get the LS6 coolant crossover!
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 10-23-2008 at 06:04 AM.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Note that the test performed was on the LS3/L92 intake. Its quite different from the LS1/LS6 intake in many ways, so the results will most likely be different for our motors. I don't think anyones tested the LS1/LS6 Street Warrior as of yet, but the results are supposed to be much better, as much as 30WHP over an LS6 on a bolt-on car.
    true but the warrior was also hyped to be a fast killer too.......it was a quick search and i did realize that it wasnt a ls1/ls6 test but i doubt much will change..i doubt it will push 30+ improvement..and if it does i am curious where in the power band it will

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

true but the warrior was also hyped to be a fast killer too.......it was a quick search and i did realize that it wasnt a ls1/ls6 test but i doubt much will change..i doubt it will push 30+ improvement..and if it does i am curious where in the power band it will
    Yes but remember the LS1/LS6 is a completely different top end than an LS3/L92. Those motors flow very well from the factory, whereas there is more to be gained on a cathederal port LS1/LS6. I definitely see this intake making some significant power gains over the LS6 intake, I have a feeling the gains will be in the mid range of the powerband though. Which is great for street, not as much of a benefit in racing.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Yes but remember the LS1/LS6 is a completely different top end than an LS3/L92. Those motors flow very well from the factory, whereas there is more to be gained on a cathederal port LS1/LS6. I definitely see this intake making some significant power gains over the LS6 intake, I have a feeling the gains will be in the mid range of the powerband though. Which is great for street, not as much of a benefit in racing.
    that is what everyone is saying..kinda of pisses me off..until i read the name of the intake..."street warrior"

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

that is what everyone is saying..kinda of pisses me off..until i read the name of the intake..."street warrior"
    lol, very true.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

doesnt sound like you should be. over 100% duty cycle means your injectors are open all the time which could mean you could be running rich. dumping a lot of fuel in there, are you sure gas milage hasnt suffered? i have not heard of a near stock car with injectors maxed out. it would benefit you to step-up injectors size. it would help to extend both the life of your injectors and fuel system as a whole...

otherwise, nail down the tune and adjust the timing so you dont peak over 100% duty cycle on WOT runs...
    SORRY FOR THE HIJACK! lol

yeah, it's strange. I've leaned it out almost to 13.0 and seafoamed it three times in the past year but it gets terrible gas mileage for an a4 LS1, like 17/23, so maybe i should just step up, interesting. It runs SD too now but let me look at some old logs to make sure it didn't just start when i went SD because the money would be better spent on a WB if it's a problem with the tune.

EDIT: the highest i can find on MAF logs is 75, and the torque PID reads over 100 ft. lbs lower than currently in SD. I think it's completely not accurate, but even if the margin of error is +-40 then that's a huge difference. In some places it's more like 125. Could the MAF delete have perked it up so much that i am in fact moving 20+% more air at WOT and am consequently making that much more power? it hits KR sometimes so i know it isn't too rich, also.

2nd EDIT: with an 85mm screenless ZO6 MAF it was hitting 82% and as much as 340 ft-lbs, currently it maxxes out at around 102% and 430 ft-lbs (ft lbs on the pid, not a dyno or anything believable) the pids are consistent with SOTP and each other, so I believe that they are a somewhat-accurate way to test out my changes. the biggest calc. hp # i've pulled out of this car, which would be at the crank, is 435@5800 RPM. I don't think it's that accurate, there is no way a stock ls1 with a cutout and airlid can make that kind of power, even at the crank. I do, however, think that the !MAF mod was a great way to make it breathe better and I think these #'s prove it; the maf logs are consistently in the same range, which is higher when !maf.
    Last edited by richard head; 10-23-2008 at 08:11 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information