Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

Ls6 or fast intake?

I'm about to order a tsp torquer v2 cam and I want to do a intake at the same time the only thing done to the motor is headers and tb bypass but down the road I will be doing heads so I want to do it right the first time. I'm not going to go crazy with the car I'll probably stop at some mild heads. Also is a new throttle body necessary on either intake? And if fast is recommended which size? I figure 92 is big enough

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Ls6 or fast intake?

What are your plans? Meaning slight track/street use or heavy?

Light I recommend the LS6 intake. Really good and for the price best bang for the buck.

Heavy track - You'll want a FAST 102. The 90's are no longer made so it will be used. 102's require more than a simple intake swap. Your looking at injectors, upgrade fuel pump, throttle body & tune to get full benifit.

IMHO FAST are for guys that are serious into racing. Total overkill for DD/ mild street track use.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

the car is mostly driven on the street every once in a while I go to the track but not often. The car is also not a dd I only take it out of the garage if its going to be a nice day

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    What are your plans? Meaning slight track/street use or heavy?

Light I recommend the LS6 intake. Really good and for the price best bang for the buck.

Heavy track - You'll want a FAST 102. The 90's are no longer made so it will be used. 102's require more than a simple intake swap. Your looking at injectors, upgrade fuel pump, throttle body & tune to get full benifit.

IMHO FAST are for guys that are serious into racing. Total overkill for DD/ mild street track use.
    The 90's are not made anymore but the 92 certainly is. However instead of gray they are black fast reintroduced them a couple years ago. I would go with that as mentioned the 102 requires a maf relocation and different fuel rails along with injector extensions. The 102's hp difference over the 92 is only a few hp better than a 90 or 92 due to its different runner design

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Ls6 will be your best bang for the buck. You can get them ported and they will perform up there with the fast 90/2. If you want to make the most of the heads and cam then the 102 is the way to go.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post

The 90's are not made anymore but the 92 certainly is. However instead of gray they are black fast reintroduced them a couple years ago. I would go with that as mentioned the 102 requires a maf relocation and different fuel rails along with injector extensions. The 102's hp difference over the 92 is only a few hp better than a 90 or 92 due to its different runner design
    Um there is so much wrong here. I have a 102 and injector extensions are not needed I used a spacer in between the fuel rail to raise it up. Also I am thinking you meant MAP and not MAF relocation but that is not required either I can show a picture if you don't believe me but mine is in the same spot as stock with no problem. Btw the 102 is a reasonable amount better than the 92 unported vs unported that is and costs about the same so it just comes down to whether you want to swap fuel rails. Also mine uses a "stock" fuel rail, the ls2 fuel rail works perfectly. If you are going to buy a FAST the 92 shouldn't even be a consideration and you should go all out if you have decided to spend the money on one.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Last I saw, the FAST intakes were just under $1,000... I do like the look of the black 92's a lot more than the gray on the old 90's. FWIW the Trick Flow head and cam kit that makes 515 hp is measured utilizing the stock LS6 intake, so it does work well.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Um there is so much wrong here. I have a 102 and injector extensions are not needed I used a spacer in between the fuel rail to raise it up. Also I am thinking you meant MAP and not MAF relocation but that is not required either I can show a picture if you don't believe me but mine is in the same spot as stock with no problem. Btw the 102 is a reasonable amount better than the 92 unported vs unported that is and costs about the same so it just comes down to whether you want to swap fuel rails. Also mine uses a "stock" fuel rail, the ls2 fuel rail works perfectly. If you are going to buy a FAST the 92 shouldn't even be a consideration and you should go all out if you have decided to spend the money on one.
    What kind of spacers are required to make the 102 work? I been looking at these and had thought about getting a 92 because I don't think I will out flow it and need a 102 but I may be wrong. Also when using a 92 or 102 will my slp bellows boot fit over the throttle body if I get the matching throttle body and with just a cam, intake and headers is the stock tb to small?

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 99yellowz28 View Post
    What kind of spacers are required to make the 102 work? I been looking at these and had thought about getting a 92 because I don't think I will out flow it and need a 102 but I may be wrong. Also when using a 92 or 102 will my slp bellows boot fit over the throttle body if I get the matching throttle body and with just a cam, intake and headers is the stock tb to small?
    The spacers come in a ls2 oem fuel rail kit made by FAST but here is what they look like.

MAP in oem location

You can't use the stock TB with the FAST 102, you need at least a 90mm but I would get a 102mm if you are buying one. It would be pretty pointless to upgrade to the FAST and use a stock TB. The only way perhaps possible to use the stock TB with the FAST is maybe with a reducer. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. The smooth bellows will definitely not fit over a 102 TB unless maybe you heat it up but I am unsure on that. It may not even fit the 92 it depends how wide it is and how much give it has to it. Regardless it is easy to find a silicon coupler that will work just measure the length of yours and get a 4" one that is as long as yours. I found one on ebay that was 4 " X 6" and it works great. I needed 6" for length because I don't use a MAF as I am speed density tuned.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 03-09-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Last I saw, the FAST intakes were just under $1,000... I do like the look of the black 92's a lot more than the gray on the old 90's. FWIW the Trick Flow head and cam kit that makes 515 hp is measured utilizing the stock LS6 intake, so it does work well.
    I just picked up my LS6 intake for $350 shipped to my house and have another $300+ in odds & ends. You could go with 28lb injectors as your 99 has 26's but after talking with my tuner(Frost) he said not nessery until I do heads & Cam. Also I will be sending my PCM to him for a retune($50) and egr delete. LS6 intake is worth 25rwhp on a bolt on car LS1Howto.com
    Your TB would be fine as well 75mm or pick up a ported one or do it your self and it would be close to 78mm. The stock LS6 is a 80mm
    Your direction of build sounds just like the direction I'm headed with a Mild Cam & Head package so I would think the LS6 would perform perfectly at a fraction of cost that you would get into for a Fast. Jmo. Just a guess I would think you would be $2,000+ to do Cam & Fast, and a 102 would be overkill for what you described as the direction you wanted to go in post #1
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    The spacers come in a ls2 oem fuel rail kit made by FAST but here is what they look like.
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    MAP in oem location
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

You can't use the stock TB with the FAST 102, you need at least a 90mm but I would get a 102mm if you are buying one. It would be pretty pointless to upgrade to the FAST and use a stock TB. The only way perhaps possible to use the stock TB with the FAST is maybe with a reducer. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. The smooth bellows will definitely not fit over a 102 TB unless maybe you heat it up but I am unsure on that. It may not even fit the 92 it depends how wide it is and how much give it has to it. Regardless it is easy to find a silicon coupler that will work just measure the length of yours and get a 4" one that is as long as yours. I found one on ebay that was 4 " X 6" and it works great. I needed 6" for length because I don't use a MAF as I am speed density tuned.
    so do you not have ls1 fuel rail? the 102 seems like it will cost another 300-400 more by the time you do the fuel rails and the throttle body is about $100 more (fast brand). Is there really that big of A diffrence between the 92 and 102 when building a h/c car because im ot planing on any n2o or power adders

Black/ Silver

If you are bent on using the stock fuel rail or mind spending the extra money for the other stuff needed to run the FAST 102 , then it is not for you. I was talking about the price for just the intake but yes there are items you need in order to be able to run the FAST and I use the ls2 fuel rail kit. If you are trying to squeeze the most you can out of the motor then the FAST 102 is the choice. To me it is only a couple hundred extra for the fuel rail kit vs the 92 and if you are going to spend the money on a FAST to begin with you should go with the 102 otherwise I would stick with the ls6. I can't really say how big the difference is but the 102 will make more power. With a stock cubed motor it may not make that much of a difference but I am building a stroker and always planned on so which is why I got the 102. I wouldn't buy a FAST brand TB I bought a Nick Williams 102 TB and they are about the same price regardless of size and much cheaper than the FAST brand.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 03-09-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Silver

Found this on line swapping to a 102
    Fast LSX Intake Parts
    146302 $979 Fast 102mm intake for LS1, LS2, and LS6 cars
    54102 $510 Big Mouth 102mm Throttle Body
    54028-KIT $125 Fuel Line Conversions Kit for ’98-’02 LS1
    146032-KIT $193 Billet Fuel Rail Kit for LSXR LS1

Everything I read the 92 & 102 are better Than the LS6 by 10- 15 H.P. with a mild cam and head package and even better with bigger and badder stuff how ever the price commitment on a lightly modded motor was always brought into question. Hey worst case you choose to go with a more aggressive package down the road put your LS6 up for sale. They don't last the day over on Tech when listed. The best thing you could do is keep reading reviews and check your wallet and go from there...lol

Black/ Silver

Damn I only paid $823 for the intake, $400 for the TB and $200 or so for the fuel rail and spacer kit. I bought this all from the WS6TORE and I believe the prices are still the same.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 03-09-2014 at 10:58 AM.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

I have been going off the texas-speed.com website because that's where I'm ordering the cam. I'm more leaning towards the 92 because of additional cost compared to the 102 and I'm not going to build a big motor just cam now and mild heads later so 102 just seems to be over the top plus where the red fast logo is I want to sand and paint yellow to match the car.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

I have been going off the texas-speed.com website because that's where I'm ordering the cam. I'm more leaning towards the 92 because of additional cost compared to the 102 and I'm not going to build a big motor just cam now and mild heads later so 102 just seems to be over the top plus where the red fast logo is I want to sand and paint yellow to match the car.

This has all been talked about before. Alot of it is a matter of what you want out of your car and how much you are willing to spend to get it there.

From what you mentioned in your post about primarily being a street car with very seldom or occasional trips to the track for fun, personally I wouldn't spend the coin on a Fast intake setup. Before it's done you'll have $1500 and likely much more in that intake setup. On a mild build like yours where the intake might be worth 10-15 HP that's a pretty big chunk of change for very little gain.

The LS6 intake is cheap and it works. Plenty of 10 second (motor only) cars out there using it. You won't be going that quick with mild mods you have planned, so why spend a ton of money on a Fast when the LS6 will do what you want?

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    This has all been talked about before. Alot of it is a matter of what you want out of your car and how much you are willing to spend to get it there.

From what you mentioned in your post about primarily being a street car with very seldom or occasional trips to the track for fun, personally I wouldn't spend the coin on a Fast intake setup. Before it's done you'll have $1500 and likely much more in that intake setup. On a mild build like yours where the intake might be worth 10-15 HP that's a pretty big chunk of change for very little gain.

The LS6 intake is cheap and it works. Plenty of 10 second (motor only) cars out there using it. You won't be going that quick with mild mods you have planned, so why spend a ton of money on a Fast when the LS6 will do what you want?
    Once Again FBJ says it best

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Ls6 or fast intake?

I think I said it well in post 2....

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

I agree with you guys the more I look into it the more the ls6 seems the way to go. Now to get one

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information