Thread: LS6/Emmissions

LS6/Emmissions

I might be buying an ls6 from my buddy soon. Question is will I get by the ODB2 plug in test???

Not sure if a engine light will come on since there is no egr stuff on the ls6. Do I either have to buy the slp ls6, get the code tuned out, or will it be ok to pass emmissions?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

You will throw a code for EGR which I think would make you fail the OBD2 test. You need to get the code turned off I would think to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    You will throw a code for EGR which I think would make you fail the OBD2 test. You need to get the code turned off I would think to pass.
    Thanks. Do you happen to know if the fast intakes have the egr hook ups? I have also been looking into a used 90/90.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Thanks. Do you happen to know if the fast intakes have the egr hook ups? I have also been looking into a used 90/90.
    To the best of my knowledge, the Fast's don't have an EGR. You are probably just going to have to get the EGR code turned off if you want to swap intakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, the Fast's don't have an EGR. You are probably just going to have to get the EGR code turned off if you want to swap intakes.
    Any idea how much a shop would charge to do that? The only intake I can find that looks like it has the egr stuff is the bbk ssi.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Any idea how much a shop would charge to do that? The only intake I can find that looks like it has the egr stuff is the bbk ssi.
    You could probably get it tuned out with a mail order tune from Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    You could probably get it tuned out with a mail order tune from Frost.
    Maybe I should just save up and get the car dyno tuned after the intake swap and have the egr tuned out then. After the intake ill have full bolt ons pretty much.

These guys are correct, the plug in OBDII test just checks for codes. Simply turning the EGR off in the tune will work fine.

If you have to do the test soon, then a mail order tune from Frost will work, and probably run better anyway. If you aren't testing for a while and would rather do a dyno tune, that would work also.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    These guys are correct, the plug in OBDII test just checks for codes. Simply turning the EGR off in the tune will work fine.

If you have to do the test soon, then a mail order tune from Frost will work, and probably run better anyway. If you aren't testing for a while and would rather do a dyno tune, that would work also.
    Yeah I will probably wait until next year. I really like how the bkk ssi intake looks but people tell me it heat soaks?

Well ya just because it's made of aluminum. It will heat soak a bit more than your polymer intake does.
    Probably not alot of difference in that respect though.

If you are weight concious too like most seem to be on this site,,,,the aluminum intake will also be quite a bit heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well ya just because it's made of aluminum. It will heat soak a bit more than your polymer intake does.
    Probably not alot of difference in that respect though.

If you are weight concious too like most seem to be on this site,,,,the aluminum intake will also be quite a bit heavier.
    I saw a posting on tech of a test between the ls6, fast, and bbk. BBK made more than the ls6 but less than the fast. All were within in 10 hp of each other.

I saw a posting on tech of a test between the ls6, fast, and bbk. BBK made more than the ls6 but less than the fast. All were within in 10 hp of each other.
    Ultimately it's up to you. I personally just run an LS6 because it accomplishes all that I care to do with our camaro at this point in time.
    If I were out for every last bit of HP with the car then I'd spend the dough on a FAST and be done with it.

Thread Information