Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54

LS2 intake

This is a discussion on LS2 intake within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by shady milkman there is a reason for that but none the less..good luck with your build well ...

  1. #21
    215 heads,ms4cam,102 fast 2000ls1tranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lima,ohio
    Age
    33
    Posts
    157

    White
    2000 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    there is a reason for that but none the less..good luck with your build
    well put....lol

  2. #22
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 2000ls1tranz View Post
    well put....lol
    really? because I believe I already aknowledged that fast is the best so what he said was some what redundant but ya sure....... well put

  3. #23
    1. The LS6 is superior to the LS2 in every way, ported or not.

    2. You don't need rails and/or adaptors to run a 92mm FAST, which is still available.

    3. A complete FAST setup vs a LS2 swap? FAST will make more power for the same money. You've got $1400 into an LS2 swap? I paid less than that for a ported FAST 92mm intake, ported, with throttle body, shipped...

    4. You mention boost... Are you planning on running a supercharger or turbocharger? If so the the TRex and the MS4 are possibly THE WORST choices you could make.

    5. You're not going to prove anything to anybody about intakes.
    Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 10-04-2010 at 09:09 AM.

  4. #24
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    1. The LS6 is superior to the LS2 in every way, ported or not.

    2. You don't need rails and/or adaptors to run a 92mm FAST, which is still available.

    3. A complete FAST setup vs a LS2 swap? FAST will make more power for the same money. You've got $1400 into an LS2 swap? I paid less than that for a ported FAST 92mm intake, ported, with throttle body, shipped...

    4. You mention boost... Are you planning on running a supercharger or turbocharger? If so the the TRex and the MS4 are possibly THE WORST choices you could make.

    5. You're not going to prove anything to anybody about intakes.
    A Ported LS2 is better than a stock LS6 period. but stock against stock the LS6 is better across the power ban which I already stated.

    also Ive already stated that I'm interested in feeding a big cam in the high rpm levels which a ported LS2 is perfectly suited for as it will out perform the LS6 in higher rpm's.

    I wasn't aware that you could use stock fuel rails with a fast intake. if so then the tech TR was wrong again...

    also if your going to tell me I'm wrong, make sure that you are correcting me on a point that I actualy made. I SAID THAT I WANT TO RUN A MS4 OR TREX INTEAD OF SPRAYING.

    I'm sorry you have to look like an ass in public but it happens to the best of us so don't feel bad

  5. #25
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    I originally was going to use a heavy ass profesional products manifold because I've heard enough stories of people blowing their fast intakes apart with boost. since I'm going NA I want something different than every single other person running a fast that will still make good power

  6. #26
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    I originally was going to use a heavy ass profesional products manifold because I've heard enough stories of people blowing their fast intakes apart with boost. since I'm going NA I want something different than every single other person running a fast that will still make good power
    x2 on the fast on boosted apps ..fast addressed that issue on the 92s and the 102s..not to mention the majority of the people didn't buy the burst panels like they should of

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    A Ported LS2 is better than a stock LS6 period. but stock against stock the LS6 is better across the power ban which I already stated.
    Wrong, wrong. You'll see.

    I wasn't aware that you could use stock fuel rails with a fast intake. if so then the tech TR was wrong again...
    For the 78/90/92mm you can use the stock rails. The 102 requires aftermarket or modified LS2.

    also if your going to tell me I'm wrong, make sure that you are correcting me on a point that I actualy made. I SAID THAT I WANT TO RUN A MS4 OR TREX INTEAD OF SPRAYING.
    You said "boost" in the original post. Do you know what that means?

    I'm sorry you have to look like an ass in public but it happens to the best of us so don't feel bad
    You're the idiot here. You spent $1400 converting over to an LS2 intake!!!!

  8. #28
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    my original plans were to run a 95mm TB on a profesional products 96 intake with ported LS6 heads and a big cam and throw some nitrous on it. which is pretty much the only reason to settle on an aluminum intake. then I started realizing that the amount of boost I use will limit the size of the cam. I now know for sure that I want to run a TRex or MS4 and forget about N2O and PP manifold.

    since I have the cable driven LS2 style TB already($400) I bought the following:

    map extension from KATECH:$45

    ported LS2 intake (to match TB) w/ gaskets from LS2portworks.com: $318

    LS2 fuel rails, LS2 fuel injectors, adaptors for LS1 harness:$590 <--- i think I got raped by thunder racing on this..

    besides a tune, is there anything else I need to make this setup work?

    BTW, I purposefully did not go with FAST because everyone acts like just because they're the best that every other option sucks. I'm going to prove that it's not true.

    I for one Mark like your approach and the enthusiasm. I've been down this road many times with different things just to see what works and what doesn't, usually for my own personal records and not to please anyone else.
    That's what the hobby is about. Experiment and try things. It may or may not work, but that's not really the point.

    To take that a step further, this type of approach is nothing new. NHRA Stock and Super Stock Eliminator has been doing this since the 60's. Rules force them to use stock intake and carb systems with or without porting, or in this case stock fuel injection setups.
    People that are running these cars in NHRA class racing are doing these very things that you are trying to accomplish, a FAST intake isn't even an option in some of these classes. And I find it interesting and amazing how fast all these cars can go on stock parts. Amazing what you can do even when you are limited by the rules.

    I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out for ya Mark. With a good tuner on a dyno with some numbers would be interesting to see.

  9. #29
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    Wrong, wrong. You'll see.



    For the 78/90/92mm you can use the stock rails. The 102 requires aftermarket or modified LS2.



    You said "boost" in the original post. Do you know what that means?



    You're the idiot here. You spent $1400 converting over to an LS2 intake!!!!
    I think your the idiot cause he only spent $953 since he already had the ls2 tb, you'd spend more on the fast set up alone. Plus he said you'd be an ass not an idiot, they are two different words. Maybe you should pick up a dictionary once in a while and see the difference in the definitions. Another thing I do not believe he asked for your opinion and if you don't have anything nice to say then y bother saying it. As for xmarkx if you get a dyno put dyno numbers up maybe even before and after dyno numbers. I would definately like to see the difference.

  10. #30
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

    I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out for ya Mark. With a good tuner on a dyno with some numbers would be interesting to see.
    ^ what he is doing is nothing new...it would be like someone taking their ls1 out and putting a lt1 in and "seeing what it can do..because everyone runs ls1" ..there is nothing to prove here imho

  11. #31
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    in any case I won't be installing this stuff until April or may because that's when my smog is. right now I'm building the car up and collecting engine parts as I go. the day I get it sniffed I'm going to start ripping it apart so I'll have a good 2 years until I have to smog it again.

    I also wanted to go with a ported LS2 because I'm going to be running ported and polished 243's. I thought it would be cool (I know not original) to run a completely ported LS2 top end (plus big cam) on an LS1. shoot me for not running out to buy a fast and a set of AFR's

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I think your the idiot cause he only spent $953 since he already had the ls2 tb, you'd spend more on the fast set up alone.
    He still had to buy the $400 throttle body at some point...

    Regardless, even spending $950 on a LS2 setup is still crazy!

    You're calling me an idiot? I guess that "backfired" on you...

  13. #33
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    in any case I won't be installing this stuff until April or may because that's when my smog is. right now I'm building the car up and collecting engine parts as I go. the day I get it sniffed I'm going to start ripping it apart so I'll have a good 2 years until I have to smog it again.

    I also wanted to go with a ported LS2 because I'm going to be running ported and polished 243's. I thought it would be cool (I know not original) to run a completely ported LS2 top end (plus big cam) on an LS1. shoot me for not running out to buy a fast and a set of AFR's
    hell yeah on the smog thing!

  14. #34
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ^ what he is doing is nothing new...it would be like someone taking their ls1 out and putting a lt1 in and "seeing what it can do..because everyone runs ls1" ..there is nothing to prove here imho
    I don't think proving is really the point. I know the LS2 setups can make decent power, there are plenty of LS2's in NHRA stock eliminator running under the index.

    Don't know why everyone wants to fault the guy for trying something just because everyone thinks the FAST intake is gods gift. Frankly I feel the FAST is overpriced, and it still didn't get it done at the engine master challenge over dinasour carburators, so why not try something different.

    I went down this road with exhaust systems a few years back, trying every 3 inch catback I could get my hands on, and spent more money than Xmark doing it. I found some very interesting results I've mentioned here several times, and it was vastly different to what people say on these lovely internet boards. Sometimes you just have to go out and try something, see if you can make it work. I say let the guy get it tuned and dyno it and see what kind of numbers it puts down, and take it to the strip and report back.
    It might run good enough to satisfy a few that might have some of these parts laying around.

  15. #35
    215 heads,ms4cam,102 fast 2000ls1tranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lima,ohio
    Age
    33
    Posts
    157

    White
    2000 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    I'm sorry you have to look like an ass in public but it happens to the best of us so don't feel bad

    before u said a ls2 would come close to a fast an no it wont ...dude said there a reason everyone runs a ls6 or fast but good luck on ur build..an i said (well put) cuz there is a reason everyone runs a ls6 or fast an was saying good luck with ur build also... dick! but think what u want u know it all right or so it sounds...the only one in here looking like a ass would be ur self bud

    but u know what we'll sit here a watch till the time comes we can say we told u so....lol


  16. #36
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 2000ls1tranz View Post
    before u said a ls2 would come close to a fast an no it wont ...dude said there a reason everyone runs a ls6 or fast but good luck on ur build..an i said (well put) cuz there is a reason everyone runs a ls6 or fast an was saying good luck with ur build also... dick! but think what u want u know it all right or so it sounds...the only one in here looking like a ass would be ur self bud

    but u know what we'll sit here a watch till the time comes we can say we told u so....lol

    what have you told me that I didn't already say first?

    I said I'm going to run an LS2 set up and it's going to make good power. not as much as a fast (but probably somewhere close in the peak HP area.)

    you say I'm wasteing my money because it's not as good as a fast.
    I never disagreed with you. I've said 3 times now that fast is the best, BUT I WANT TO DO SOMETHING DIFERENT THAN 90% OF PEOPLE WITH UPGRADED MNIFOLDS.

    and your an idiot if you think the LS6 is going to make more peak horse power than a ported LS2. there's no arguement that the LS6 has more usable power across most of the band but I'm simply saying that at PEAK HORSE POWER you'll get more from a ported LS2. that's my only point I was making between those 2 manifolds

  17. #37
    215 heads,ms4cam,102 fast 2000ls1tranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lima,ohio
    Age
    33
    Posts
    157

    White
    2000 trans am

    lol whatever dude ur the idiot if u think the ls2 is going to out perform a ls6...an its not going to make good power..lol

  18. #38
    215 heads,ms4cam,102 fast 2000ls1tranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lima,ohio
    Age
    33
    Posts
    157

    White
    2000 trans am

    LS6 vs LS2 Intake
    "After running the LS1 intake, we were curious to see how a factory LS6 manifold would perform. As in the previous test, the manifold was equipped with a 78mm throttle body. Despite the 12mm handicap in throttle opening, the LS6 intake easily outperformed the larger LS2 unit, producing peak numbers of 489 hp and 481 lb-ft of torque. The LS6offered serious power gains from 4,500 rpm to 5,700 rpm but offered smaller gains as low as 3,800 rpm. We suspect that the smaller throttle opening was responsible for the drop in power past 6,000 rpm, but even out to 6,500 rpm, the LS6 outperformed the LS2 by at least a few horses.

  19. #39
    215 heads,ms4cam,102 fast 2000ls1tranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lima,ohio
    Age
    33
    Posts
    157

    White
    2000 trans am

    LS1 vs LS2 Intake

    "The first EFI intake to be tested was an old-style LS1 manifold. While no self-respecting LS2 owner would perform such a downgrade, we wanted to see just how much better the LS2 was thanits predecessor. Would the larger 90mm throttle opening pay dividends against the 78mm version used on the older manifold? As it turned out, the LS1 intake wasn't that far off. As expected, it made less peak power than the LS2 (476 hp versus 485 hp), but the power curves were virtuallyidentical from 3,000 rpm to 5,500 rpm. From 5,500 rpm to 6,500 rpm, the LS2 intake offered as much as 10 additional horsepower, but the LS1 unit actually produced an additional 2 lb-ft of peak torque (471 versus 469 lb-ft)."

  20. #40
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by 2000ls1tranz View Post
    LS6 vs LS2 Intake
    "After running the LS1 intake, we were curious to see how a factory LS6 manifold would perform. As in the previous test, the manifold was equipped with a 78mm throttle body. Despite the 12mm handicap in throttle opening, the LS6 intake easily outperformed the larger LS2 unit, producing peak numbers of 489 hp and 481 lb-ft of torque. The LS6offered serious power gains from 4,500 rpm to 5,700 rpm but offered smaller gains as low as 3,800 rpm. We suspect that the smaller throttle opening was responsible for the drop in power past 6,000 rpm, but even out to 6,500 rpm, the LS6 outperformed the LS2 by at least a few horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000ls1tranz View Post
    LS1 vs LS2 Intake

    "The first EFI intake to be tested was an old-style LS1 manifold. While no self-respecting LS2 owner would perform such a downgrade, we wanted to see just how much better the LS2 was thanits predecessor. Would the larger 90mm throttle opening pay dividends against the 78mm version used on the older manifold? As it turned out, the LS1 intake wasn't that far off. As expected, it made less peak power than the LS2 (476 hp versus 485 hp), but the power curves were virtuallyidentical from 3,000 rpm to 5,500 rpm. From 5,500 rpm to 6,500 rpm, the LS2 intake offered as much as 10 additional horsepower, but the LS1 unit actually produced an additional 2 lb-ft of peak torque (471 versus 469 lb-ft)."
    it is worth noting that he has his ls2 ported...so numbers will be different. I know there are some in the vette/gto community that still live to port the ls2 over a fast..i believe the rational is cost...as they ALREADY have the ls2 and fuel set up, so they just spend 300ish for a port to get some more numbers.

    the ls2 was really just like the ls1 in terms of it was the first test mule in terms of intakes..the ls1 was the first intake period for the lsx..and the ls2 was the first 90mm opening. the ls6 came and greatly improved on the ls1.. as has the ls3 etc on the ls2.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. BBK SSI Intake, vs Holley Intake, vs LS6 intake, vs PP 96mm
    By Lunatikgixxer in forum External Engine
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-28-2017, 11:39 AM
  2. Question: HOW TO: Swap stock intake with LS6 intake
    By thechad125 in forum General Help
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 04:17 AM
  3. LS6 intake manifold and 227 Intake runners
    By IT_SS in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 03:11 PM
  4. Single Plane Intake VS Stock PP Intake
    By xzaero0 in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 08:00 PM
  5. Difference in Stock Ram Air intake and other aftermarket intake
    By WS6-cobra killer in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-15-2007, 07:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •