Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LS2 intake

black
    1999 camaro SS

LS2 intake

my original plans were to run a 95mm TB on a profesional products 96 intake with ported LS6 heads and a big cam and throw some nitrous on it. which is pretty much the only reason to settle on an aluminum intake. then I started realizing that the amount of boost I use will limit the size of the cam. I now know for sure that I want to run a TRex or MS4 and forget about N2O and PP manifold.

since I have the cable driven LS2 style TB already($400) I bought the following:

map extension from KATECH:$45

ported LS2 intake (to match TB) w/ gaskets from LS2portworks.com: $318

LS2 fuel rails, LS2 fuel injectors, adaptors for LS1 harness:$590 <--- i think I got raped by thunder racing on this..

besides a tune, is there anything else I need to make this setup work?

BTW, I purposefully did not go with FAST because everyone acts like just because they're the best that every other option sucks. I'm going to prove that it's not true.
    Last edited by xmarkx; 09-28-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

will a ls2 intake fit on an ls1? Cause I've been thinking about doing something similar to what you are doing.

black
    1999 camaro SS

yes it will bolt up but in stock form the only advantage to the LS2 is it's ability to accept a 90mm TB but even with the bigger TB the LS6 intake performs SLIGHTLY better.

if you fulyl port an LS2 intake and cable driven LS2 TB, not only are you making more power than the LS6 intake but your getting damn close to FAST 92/92, and your doing it for less money than a fast setup

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    yes it will bolt up but in stock form the only advantage to the LS2 is it's ability to accept a 90mm TB but even with the bigger TB the LS6 intake performs SLIGHTLY better.

if you fulyl port an LS2 intake and cable driven LS2 TB, not only are you making more power than the LS6 intake but your getting damn close to FAST 92/92, and your doing it for less money than a fast setup
    Where did you get a cable driven ls2 tb? I can't find one all I find is the electronic ones.

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Where did you get a cable driven ls2 tb? I can't find one all I find is the electronic ones.

I got mine from jantzer. type in "jantzer 92mm throttle body" on eBay and it will come up. in the description they say that you can purchase their TB ported to 92mm or 95mm for the same price, so I just specified that I wanted 95. they told me that as long as I had a manifold that will accomodate the size of the TB that the LS1 TB sensor will hook up directly and the cable drive is made for and LS1 or similar aplication

Black/ Silver

I got mine from jantzer. type in "jantzer 92mm throttle body" on eBay and it will come up. in the description they say that you can purchase their TB ported to 92mm or 95mm for the same price, so I just specified that I wanted 95. they told me that as long as I had a manifold that will accomodate the size of the TB that the LS1 TB sensor will hook up directly and the cable drive is made for and LS1 or similar aplication
    Oh cool. I wondered about that. Once I get the money to do this im going to buy all of this, but unfortunately I've had to spend some of my car modding money on repairs so now I don't have enough . I'll just have to save up some more to get it back.

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Oh cool. I wondered about that. Once I get the money to do this im going to buy all of this, but unfortunately I've had to spend some of my car modding money on repairs so now I don't have enough . I'll just have to save up some more to get it back.
    also katech makes spacers to use the LS1 injectors on the LS2 manifold but I opted to go for the LS2 injectors with adaptor harness because they are (I think) 42lbs injectors and good up to about 500 NA Hp.

black
    1999 camaro SS

I'm extremely happy with the manifold I've recieved from Cory at LS2portworks. somehow he ported the TB opening to almost 95mm. he even sent me directions specifying using RTV to seal the TB to the manifold because he had to eliminate the manifolds stock TB gasket to get the opening as big as I wanted.

215 heads,ms4cam,102 fast 2000ls1tranz's Avatar

White
    2000 trans am

my buddy try this he sold the intake after he did not like the way it performed..an dyno numbers proved its not worth it in gains the ls2 is just bout like the ls1 intake ...ls6 is way better an the 102 fast kicks ass

black
    1999 camaro SS

every test I've seen on the stock LS2 vs. the stock LS6 shows that the LS6 is slightly better. but the LS6 doesn't have much room to grow unless you get a 90mm TB snout graphed on. I'll put money down that the manifold I have with 95mm TB opening and ported runners makes more power than a stock LS6 manifold.

and the 102 vs. the LS2 is no competition. no shit the 102 is better. fast is the best for NA engines PERIOD. my whole point of going the ported LS2 route was to do something different and to show you can take a modified stock design and get close to fast 92 power.

White
    2000 trans am

an if ur wrong? just a bunch of wasted money right...lol

White
    2000 trans am

also u know u have spent on the ls2 what u could of just went out a bought a fast...lol 318 plus 590?

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2000ls1tranz View Post
    an if ur wrong? just a bunch of wasted money right...lol
    it's called craigslist. I've sold many other mistakes on that website so it wouldn't be the first time. I always like to try the shit people say isn't going to work because I like the idea of possibly proving them wrong. that's the exact reason why I'm putting 19x12 wheels with 335/30 tires on a car with the hose mod done to sportline springs.....

plus I doubt that this will be a mistake. LS2portworks is highly reputable. alot of people have made really good power with his intakes

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2000ls1tranz View Post
    also u know u have spent on the ls2 what u could of just went out a bought a fast...lol 318 plus 590?
    are you kidding me!!! 318 is a steal for just the intake. a fast intake is twice that. a big part of the 590 was the 42lbs fuel injectors. but I will agree mostly that 590 was too much for that order but that's what I get for going with thunder racing

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

it has been proven several time that the ls2 is basically a ls1 with a 90mm opening. are you judging the tb on peak or are you looking at the power under the curve also...you should just get the fast...a ported ls2 is not going to be able to touch a fast 92/92

black
    1999 camaro SS

I've seen dyno graphs from LS6 vs LS2 and the LS6 makes better power through out the rpm band until it gets to the top end and that's when the LS2 starts to shine. if you notice in my first post I said I want use a large cam. most large cams really start to open up in the higher rpm's so that was my basis for wanting a ported LS2 over an LS6.

98' trans am

i hope you the best..but i fear you will be quite disappointed when you total everything up on how much you spend to get a ls2 to perform as the hp to $ ratio will be much higher i think than a fast.

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i hope you the best..but i fear you will be quite disappointed when you total everything up on how much you spend to get a ls2 to perform as the hp to $ ratio will be much higher i think than a fast.
    when you factor in everything it takes to run a fast intake (manifold, TB, fuel rails, fuel line adaptor kit) I doubt that it's cheaper to run a fast set up. I want something different than 90% of other people who have upgraded their manifolds. every one and the mother has a LS6 or a fast.

98' trans am

every one and the mother has a LS6 or a fast.
    there is a reason for that but none the less..good luck with your build

Black/ Silver

If the LS6 truely out performs the ls2 couldn't you get the ls6 ported to 90mm or even 102mm? or is that too big of a port for the ls6, if you could, it would be better than the FAST in my opinion especially if you wanted to run n2o or FI since i've heard that the fast can split with those depending on the application since it is a two piece vs a 1 piece intake

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information