Thread: LS1 Y-Pipe

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

LS1 Y-Pipe

Is there any real benefit in getting a Ypipe for my LS1. I dont want to touch the headers just want to do a tune, hooker exhuast, exhaust cut out, SLP lid, TB bypass and 4.10's. Im hoping that will be enough with the ypipe to get me close to 330rwhp. What are your experiences or is there any dyno numbers on stock manifolds using after market ypipes compared to stock.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I was wondering the same.. i got one laying around.. havent installed it yet.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

JoshieDoom do you know were you can get the cheapest ORY for stock manifolds? or does anyone know. Ive had alot of bad luck running headers on cars and doing the mods i listed above should give me some decent power just dont know if its worth changing out the stock Y. I know its design is pretty bad, crimped and flattened, just havent really seen any dyno numbers to prove its gains.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    JoshieDoom do you know were you can get the cheapest ORY for stock manifolds? or does anyone know. Ive had alot of bad luck running headers on cars and doing the mods i listed above should give me some decent power just dont know if its worth changing out the stock Y. I know its design is pretty bad, crimped and flattened, just havent really seen any dyno numbers to prove its gains.
    The only Y pipe i can think of right now is the SLP y pipe. It bolts right up to ur stock manifolds. U prolly will see minimal if any performance gains at all swapping out the y pipe. Why did u have bad luck with headers?

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

well on my 95 A4 i put on LT's and it was a disaster it would leak from the headers no matter what gasket i put on and going through heat and cold cycles tightening the bolts. My 93 Z it would leak from the connections to the Ypipe on my Pacesetter shorties and spent tons of money changing out gaskets there with different bolts, finally i just welded it together. On my 01 SS i didnt touch the headers, on my last car 01 M3 i changed headers pulled decent numbers with a leak at 310 rwhp but it leaked from were all the tubing meet up to the collector and it was impossible to weld without taking it back off the car and spent a few hundred more getting them off and putting them back on again and it still had a slight leak. I know many people havent had any issues with them but even the chance of me going through this again is steering me away from the thought of putting on headers.

OMGls1jz
    what you could do is just go to a muffler shop and have them make you one. thats what my brother did and now he has LTs but i'm gonna use his ORY. it deletes the cats and bolts to the stock manifolds plus you can use a bigger y merge if you want. if you need i can take a pic of my ORY for you that a local muffler shop made for my brother. LMK

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

OMGls1jz thanks for the offer if you can and its easy for you to do so, yes please. Im sure by deleting the cat and putting on a smoother Ypipe thats not crimped and flat like the stock one will give some power but my guess would be about 8-10 rwhp tops. Who knows, if anyone still can find some dyno numbers on ypipes that would be great ive googled it and tried searching here but all i can find is a guess like i just did of how much rwhp youll get by deleting cats and getting a better flowing y.

OMGls1jz
    okay, i'll try to post it tonight or tomorrow sometime

black
    99 Z28

yea just throwing on an aftermarket Y will help, if your in a state with no emissions, then delete the cats also. but dont expect to make massive power from it... it should only help a few ponies... but will make the motor breathe better than the stock one.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

you will get sound..and maybe 5-8 to the floor. manifolds are the real restriction in the f-bod exhaust system

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    you will get sound..and maybe 5-8 to the floor. manifolds are the real restriction in the f-bod exhaust system
    +1. ORY with stock manifolds is kinda a waste of money unless you just want your car louder. Doubtfull it'd hit 330rwhp unless you pulled every dyno trick in the book.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

MAC and Dynomax make an ORY that will bolt right up to your stock exhaust manifolds. They sell for about $230-$250 i think. I found a couple on craigslist for a bill but the sellers wouldn't ship. I'm planning on going with this system and probably shorty headers for now. I know the gains won't be much but it'll definitely flow a hell of a lot better and that's all i'm trying to achieve for now. The sound will also be better and that's always a +. You can go to the MAC website and see the system they offer, it might be cheaper to save the pic and see if a local exhaust shop can make one for you.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    MAC and Dynomax make an ORY that will bolt right up to your stock exhaust manifolds. .

Yep

Thread Information