Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

LS1 to LS6 intake swap?

When i swap from an LS1 to an LS6 intake manifold with the Fuel rails transfer directly over. I was looking at it and wondering if the crossover from each fuel rail will clear the LS6 intake manifold. Has anyone done this swap and did you use the stock fuel rails? Which LS6 manifold will bolt directly onto my 2000 trans am? It has the egr and most of them are talking about cutting it and i am not sure how if i can completely do away with it or it's purpose. If i block off the EGR can i completely remove all of the hoses and everything? i noticed that there is a bunch of vacuum lines on the rear of the driverside head that a couple of these lines runs into. what do i do with those. does anyone have any pictures of their engine after they have completely removed the emissions BS?
    Last edited by forrest2340; 04-02-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

everything will swap over just fine except the egr, there is no hole in the top of the intake for it. Just buy some block off plates or make your own and eliminate the air system while your at it then can take it all out.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Yep. Coolant lines have to be blocked off and EGR/AIR can be deleted. Plenty of local people that are willing to help if you need any

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

coolant lines?

i have been reading and have the EGR and AIR system removals figured out. Thats too easy now, but i don't know what coolant lines you are talking about. i am just going to buy an ls6 intake for an 01 or 02 so i don't have to block off that EGR hole in the intake. i am also just going to buy LT's that without the EGR or the AIR holes in them. Let me know what coolant lines you are talking about. thanks

black trans am

look it up on las tech they have pick of the manafold that u have to grins the bottem of the manifold so u can use the stock coolent lines

I wouldn't hack on the bottom of the intake. And completely blocking the coolant lines isn't that great of an idea either.

The correct way and cleanest method is to purchase the coolant lines for the LS6 intake. It's roughly $100 for everything but makes the install nice and easy.
    I've even heard stories of people grinding the intake and bolting it down only to find that it still puts pressure on the bottom of the intake,,,not letting it bolt down completely, and people forcing it down with the bolts and flying with it anyway

The 01-02 LS6 intakes for the F-bodies will not have the EGR port either,,,those cars came without the EGR on those years.

If you are dead set on reinstalling that EGR then SLP makes the LS6 intake with the EGR intact.
    If emissions isn't an issue then I would simply delete it.

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

I just did the swap on mine. Get the right parts and do it the right way from the get go. This will save you many headache's down the road.
    1998 Sebring Silver Camaro SS Convertible
    Cammed, Geared, Stalled and soon to be blown via F1-C
    2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT
    Kook's 1 7/8's LTH's and catted X, Pypes A/B, Vararam, Tune
    2007 Black Raven Cadillac Escalade
    Vararam, Leveling Kit, 33's

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I wouldn't hack on the bottom of the intake. And completely blocking the coolant lines isn't that great of an idea either.

The correct way and cleanest method is to purchase the coolant lines for the LS6 intake. It's roughly $100 for everything but makes the install nice and easy.
    I've even heard stories of people grinding the intake and bolting it down only to find that it still puts pressure on the bottom of the intake,,,not letting it bolt down completely, and people forcing it down with the bolts and flying with it anyway

The 01-02 LS6 intakes for the F-bodies will not have the EGR port either,,,those cars came without the EGR on those years.

If you are dead set on reinstalling that EGR then SLP makes the LS6 intake with the EGR intact.
    If emissions isn't an issue then I would simply delete it.
    Emissions isnt a issue around here at all.

Screw SLP.

Many many many people have got the plugs with no issues though.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Emissions isnt a issue around here at all.

Screw SLP.

Many many many people have got the plugs with no issues though.
    Why screw SLP?? If you have to have an LS6 intake with an EGR thats the place to get it. Otherwise the EPA may say,,,screw you

But hey,,,if you don't need to worry about emissions then by all means,,,delete it as I mentioned.

I personally wouldn't do the plugs, it may work to some extent, but since we are dealing with a dry intake,(no coolant passing over) it could cause problems.
    I wonder how coolant could pass from one head to the other without the cross over pipes?? Or whether or not it would make for a tough time purging the system when you do a coolant flush or thermostat change?? Trapped air bubbles that have no where to go???
    I had a hell of a time purging my coolant system anyway, without blocking off passages that are engineered to be there.

I don't know man,,,just sounds like a bad idea all the way around.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

you dont block the coolant lines. order the ls6 coolant lines that will replace the ls1 lines when you swap the intakes. also stock fuel rails, injectors, etc., will swap directly over with no issues. whoever said to block off the coolant lines is an idiot.

also, speaking form personal experience, skip over the Ls6 intake and save your money. if you are planning future mods that might include heads/cam, etc., save the money wasted on an Ls6 intake and buy a FAST 90/90 or 92/92.

now if your future plans include forced induction, then getting an Ls6 intake is a good investment.

after all said and done, you can delete the AIR and EGR and have the car tuned, so those don't set off the CEL.
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

i had this done a month ago. everything swaped over fine.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

LS6 install guide.
    This install guide is for the 98 -00 ls1 fbodies that do not have the LS6 intake.

You need to purchase the following parts. I picked them all up for roughly $400

# 1- Coolant Pipe Part# 12602544
    # 2- Rear Coolant Plugs Part# 12602540
    # EGR block off plate
    # LS6 intake

First removed the lid and MAF by taking out the sensor plugs and unscrewing the band clamp on the throttle

body. Set it someplace safe so you don't mess the MAF up.

Then unplug the sensors on the throttle body, the cruise, the vacuum and coolant lines that go to it.

Finally remove the 3 bolts that hold the throttle body in place.

Now to remove the EGR. Simply remove all the bolts holding it in place. They are located on the intake,

on front of the left head and on the manifold its self.
    NOTE. You will need to put an egr block off plate on the manifold or emissions headers before you go

any further.

Now disconnect the injector wireing. Simply press the metal clip in and wiggle the clip off.
    Now disconnect the vaccum hose going to the brake booster, just let it dangle back there for now.
    Also unplug the connectors that look like they are used in conjuntion with the fuel system.

nhook the plastic connector for fuel on the front right side of the intake. Just press in the grey ring

and then pull the whole connection off the fitting, you might have to wiggle it a little.

Unbolt all the 10 bolts that hold the intake manifold down. Remove as many of them as you can and set them

aside.
    Now lift up on the front of the intake to break the seal it has to the heads.
    Gently slide the intake forward enough for you to get your arm around the backside to unhook the sensor

and small vacuum hose.

Here is a picture of what your dealing with back there.
    This should REALLY help anyone who hasn't done this before.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I was having an issue with being able to slide the intake forward because the transmission disp stick tube

was in the way. I had to jack up the car and get a couple extensions with i believe it was a 15mm socket

to take out this bolt.
    It allowed me to move the tube off to the side.
    Please note, I was unable to get the bolt back in because of the space and angle. I haven't had any

issues with it unbolted.
    Now pull it out and set it across the front of the motor. Be careful not to kink or ruin anything. Take

the 4 bolts off that hold the fuel rails down. Now pop the fuel injectors out of the intake. Put one

hand on the intake and grab one of the fuel rails with the other and pull straight up. The injectors

You also need to remove the small clips that are on the knock sensors wiring that held it to the coolant

pipe.
    They will hit the manifold and will cause it to rock back and fourth.
    should pop right out of the intake.

After you have the coolant pipe and plugs in place, just work in reverse order to put it all back

together.

You can reuse the intake port gaskets on the new intake if you didn't get any with it. You also may want

to carefully clean up the valley pan while you have it accessible. I had a bunch of crap on mine.

AGAIN TAKE YOUR TIME!

Once you have the intake back on and the bolts snugged up, torque them to 44 inch lbs. Then again to 89

inch lbs. INCH POUNDS NOT FOOT POUNDS!

As usual before you start up the car, check over EVERYTHING to see you have it all hooked up correctly and

there are no loose wires, bolts etc...

I noticed a pretty big difference on the top end after the install. The car really gets up and moves in

the higher RPM's now.

It also cleaned up the engine bay with the removal of the EGR.
    Set the fuel rails/injectors off to the side and remove the intake.

Now you have to remove the coolant lines by simply removing the bolt that holds it down at each corner.

This isnt mine.. just a good howto i found

NBM
    98 trans am

how much is an ls6 intake manifold

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    you dont block the coolant lines. order the ls6 coolant lines that will replace the ls1 lines when you swap the intakes. also stock fuel rails, injectors, etc., will swap directly over with no issues. whoever said to block off the coolant lines is an idiot.

also, speaking form personal experience, skip over the Ls6 intake and save your money. if you are planning future mods that might include heads/cam, etc., save the money wasted on an Ls6 intake and buy a FAST 90/90 or 92/92.

now if your future plans include forced induction, then getting an Ls6 intake is a good investment.

after all said and done, you can delete the AIR and EGR and have the car tuned, so those don't set off the CEL.
    why is the Ls6 intake better than FAST for FI?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    1999 Camaro SS

Ok, I did my LS6 swap about 3 years ago and I blocked off the coolant lines in the back. I've heard that it wasn't a good idea and I'm wondering where I can order the LS6 coolant lines?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by hurraquio View Post
    why is the Ls6 intake better than FAST for FI?
    the FAST 78, 90 and even the new 92 are all 3-piece intakes. people running forced induction/nitrous would blow portions of the multi-piece intake off the car because of the increase in pressure from running such an application. supposedly the new 92 intakes has resolved this issue.

the Ls6 intake, is not designed like that, making it stronger. as such it is able to handle forced induction better over the FAST intakes. i have personally seen holes/chunks blown out of the top shells of fast intakes on cars that were running forced induction/nitrous either caused by the increase in pressure or from blow-back through the intake.

Quote Originally Posted by SSmokin99 View Post
    Ok, I did my LS6 swap about 3 years ago and I blocked off the coolant lines in the back. I've heard that it wasn't a good idea and I'm wondering where I can order the LS6 coolant lines?
    go to just about any sponsor here, or to a stealership...

Sunset Orange Metallic
    1999 Camaro SS

How exactly does the coolant lines for the LS6 intake look? I mean, it will anything even fit under the manifold?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

This thread will show you where that damned opsu is
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...some-help.html
    This one shows where to grind the fins on the manifold so you don't have to waste money on that kit
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...-manifold.html

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by SSmokin99 View Post
    How exactly does the coolant lines for the LS6 intake look? I mean, it will anything even fit under the manifold?
    Do you still have your original coolant lines? Follow my link and put them back in better and cheaper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information