Thread: ls1 to ls2

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

ls1 to ls6

im looking at buying an ls6 intake for my 99 ls1. im just curious of what else i will need for the swap and how difficult the swap will be. i found it on tech for a pretty decent price and wouldnt mind the extra couple hp. right now my car is bone stock so i know i will need block off plates and take off the egr and air
    Last edited by pewterz55; 08-05-2010 at 10:38 AM.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

no one?????

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

well you can either buy the ls6 coolant cross over pipe (highly recommended) or trim the fins off the bottom of the ls6 for clearance.
    i'd also buy a oil pressure sending unit just to have incase you break it..if not you return it...
    id also convert to a ls6 valley cover while you are there...great time to do it and improved my oil consumption a ton.
    clothespins ...you'll see why.

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6 T-top

Talking Second the motion

Shady milkman is right on track. Don't forget the tune option of deletting the EGR valve. I would also recommend a lid/ K&N Fipk, or the slp tunnel ram scoop. A bigger MAF w/ pluming would not hurt either.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5

Above is a write up on swapping intakes. Be sure to unhook the line from intake to the master cylinder. This will help to keep you from breaking the oil sending sensor. Its probably about a 2 hour job, maybe a little longer if its your first time. Leave the MAF alone too, there is absolutely no reason or benefit to changing it.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    well you can either buy the ls6 coolant cross over pipe (highly recommended) or trim the fins off the bottom of the ls6 for clearance.
    i'd also buy a oil pressure sending unit just to have incase you break it..if not you return it...
    id also convert to a ls6 valley cover while you are there...great time to do it and improved my oil consumption a ton.
    clothespins ...you'll see why.
    Ach 98-00 has a better cooling system.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Ach 98-00 has a better cooling system.
    if you have problems with boiling your coolant then yes i suppose you do. for most apps it doesnt matter anyway what coolant line you use...the only reason the crossover is there is to transfer/ prevent air from getting trapped in that area. In the high po apps and f/i i can see the need for them as it seems like people are leaning out #7..but that issue isnt really related to cooling as much as it is to air/fueling ...so the ls1 style is really just a bandaid for the real underlining problem.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

well i was looking up intakes on ebay and found a the Fast lsxr 102mm. it say it fits ls1 ls2 and ls6. its only like $350. but from i read these dont fit? anybody have any experience with these?

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

or anybody have any experience with any other intakes besides the ls6 or the fast? seems like that sall people put on round here

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    or anybody have any experience with any other intakes besides the ls6 or the fast? seems like that sall people put on round here
    There is a reason why that is what you see the majority of people putting on

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    For the most part..all of the lsx intakes are based off of the oem ls6 design for the cath. Port fast and bbk ...until the 102mm lsxr. The big differences come in the material. Fast uses a composite material..like oem...this leads to better cooling characteristics. Another big advantage is fast uses a 3 peice design....this allows for much better porting than the 1 peice designs.

Thread Information