whote
    98 T/A RAM AIR

which Ls1 exhaust produces the most HP gain ?

I read a very interesting article about HP gains utilizing Corvette exhaust manifolds on LS1's vs. Camaro/Firebird manifolds, in fact the gains from the Corvette manifolds alone almost equaled the gains of replacing my 98 Trans Am's stock exhaust system with headers.

I was interested in any overall feedback anyone may have in general about types of exhaust systems they have used on thier LS1 Trans-Am's, Firebirds & Camaros including pro's and con's - I currently have a stock exhaust and looking to move to headers and an off road setup (I live in Florida so no emmissions problems) - basicaly a concensus to the most bang for the buck and/or the set ups others have chosen and are the most happy with all the way back to the exhaust tips. Also, who knows which Ls1 exhaust setup produces the most HP gain ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Last edited by bossho; 01-23-2010 at 07:29 AM.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by bossho View Post
    I read a very interesting article about HP gains utilizing Corvette exhaust manifolds on LS1's vs. Camaro/Firebird manifolds, in fact the gains from the Corvette manifolds alone almost equaled the gains of replacing my 98 Trans Am's stock exhaust system with headers.

I was interested in any overall feedback anyone may have in general about types of exhaust systems they have used on thier LS1 Trans-Am's, Firebirds & Camaros including pro's and con's - I currently have a stock exhaust and looking to move to headers and an off road setup (I live in Florida so no emmissions problems) - basicaly a concensus to the most bang for the buck and/or the set ups others have chosen and are the most happy with all the way back to the exhaust tips. Also, who knows which Ls1 exhaust setup produces the most HP gain ?

I ordered the tsp x pipe and 1 7/8 lt with a dynomax bullet, most everybody will agree you will get the most out of a true dual system which is what I went with. Havent gotten it installed yet cause I am still in Iraq but in about 2 weeks it will be on their wooo cant wait to get home lol.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by bossho View Post

Hey

I went American Racing headers (w/ cats) and a Magnaflow catback. Stainless steel all the way back was important to me since I'm planning to keep the car for many years to come. This is not the best bang/buck ratio, but if you want quality this setup is awesome, perfect fit.

Overall gained 22 RWHP w/ headers/cats, prolly 30-35 overall including the catback and headers.

You may want to search this site on Ebay stainless steel headers, dirt cheap and several happy users on this forum.

And consider going ahead and getting 1 7/8" headers rather than 1 3/4... Once you get rolling on this habit, you may be shopping head/cam/blower setups and wish you had gone bigger.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

there will be i fight with the 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 headers im sure but i put the tsp 1 7/8 with ory on my car with a magnaflow cat back. tru duels sound good but for me i like it all nice and hi in the car so i dont hit any thing with it and the magnaflow is good to just over 500 rwhp befor you need to open it up with a cut out. i dont know what power gains i got out of just that as i did a cam and stuff at the same time. what kind of goal's do you have for the car and we can help you in a better way.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    there will be i fight with the 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 headers im sure but i put the tsp 1 7/8 with ory on my car with a magnaflow cat back. tru duels sound good but for me i like it all nice and hi in the car so i dont hit any thing with it and the magnaflow is good to just over 500 rwhp befor you need to open it up with a cut out. i dont know what power gains i got out of just that as i did a cam and stuff at the same time. what kind of goal's do you have for the car and we can help you in a better way.
    if you go with a 2 1/2 instead of a 3 then you should be good and it depends on how its fitted on the car also or the set up, their is plenty of people that has that set up with it run over the rear end that has no problems and their cars are dropped. And where did you hear that magnaflows is good to just over 500rwhp?

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    if you go with a 2 1/2 instead of a 3 then you should be good and it depends on how its fitted on the car also or the set up, their is plenty of people that has that set up with it run over the rear end that has no problems and their cars are dropped. And where did you hear that magnaflows is good to just over 500rwhp?
    your right true duals and hit or miss i have sean some that are nice and hi it all on how much time and cash you put into it and a magnaflow is one of the best flowing cat backs you can get. all the shops i talked to told me the same thing i will not need to upgrade it till im past the 500 hp mark.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I went with a 4" Mufflex, so I get almost as much flow as dual 3". It fits up in the car, so I don't drag it with my lowered suspension.

silver
    2002 ss camaro

i went with pace setter long tubes an ory and snaked my exhaust in the back to come out under the license plate, i have no mufflers and the backpressure is great,, if the stock ss was 325hp then i did just that and put it on the dyno to get 350hp... i love it... cam, heads , intake are next

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

TSP 1 7/8 headers and the x pipe and true duals, i love them yes ground clearance isnt that great but what i am going to do with the car that is the right exhaust for me and sounds awesome [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-OU285CVVk[/ame]

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    your right true duals and hit or miss i have sean some that are nice and hi it all on how much time and cash you put into it and a magnaflow is one of the best flowing cat backs you can get. all the shops i talked to told me the same thing i will not need to upgrade it till im past the 500 hp mark.
    then there is some confusion there. from catback to catback then yes magnaflow might be fine... sounds like all they are talking is the actual muffler.

A true dual system, 2.5 or 3", will outflow and outperform a magnaflow catback at any build/hp level.

Thread Information