Blog Entries

pewter
    1999 camaro ss

LS1 block replaced with LQ9 6.0 in 1999 Camaro SS

Need to know if the harmonic balancer and flywheel from my LS1 will fit on the crank of an LQ9. Engine builder has block and internals, but now I need to come up with SFI rated parts so we can get the balancing completed. Hoping to keep the same exterior set up from before so the pulleys line up. Then the spacing of the flywheel, will that be ok as well if I order for the LS1 set up or does that need to change. Hoping to order the right parts the first time. Trouble is, engine is about 100 miles from where I live.
    Diamond forged domed pistons, Texas Speed forged steel crank w/ 4" stroke, Eagle ESP rods, AFR 205 cc Mongoose heads(from LS1), 13.38 final compression, Fast 92mm intake and Fast 92 mm throttle bodyMoser 9" 4.11 gun drilled 35 spline axles, stock 6 speed trans(won't be for much longer, Nitrous Express kit for later.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Check this out: https://www.nookandtranny.com/Info_LSx.php Belt spacing is the only issue as all balancers are neutral. There are spacing differences between the F-body, truck and Corvette.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

You all of your LS1 accessories will switch over as long as you use LS1 accessories.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Sounds like a decent build. What fuel you plan on running? That compression is up there pretty good. Unless your running an extremely big cam to drop dynamic compression she won't be pump gas friendly at all.

Navy Blue Metallic

I just remember one issue with the LQ blocks. And that is the alternator bracket for a F body LS one of the bolts is not taped on some of the LQ blocks. You have 2 options.

Drill and tap for it or use a alternator relocation kit like I did for mine. Cost $160, good news is it is no longer a bitch to change out and your ps pump won't kill it anymore.

Here's a thread on mine.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f63/altern...on-kit-178833/

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I just remember one issue with the LQ blocks. And that is the alternator bracket for a F body LS one of the bolts is not taped on some of the LQ blocks. You have 2 options.

Drill and tap for it or use a alternator relocation kit like I did for mine. Cost $160, good news is it is no longer a bitch to change out and your ps pump won't kill it anymore.

Here's a thread on mine.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f63/altern...on-kit-178833/
    Been running one for 5 years without either solutions done. Just using the bolt holes available and no problems yet.

Blog Entries

pewter
    1999 camaro ss

That's great information, thank you.

Blog Entries

pewter
    1999 camaro ss

Good to know. I'm not afraid to drill and tap a hole and I still have my blown uo LS1 block to get the location of the hole from. Thank for the heads up!

Blog Entries

pewter
    1999 camaro ss

110 octane, going to be for track use for awhile then switch out the pistons down the road for turbo. At least this is what my long term plan is right now.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

2000 Pontiac Formula click 408. back when i put a 408 in my formula i took pictures of the build. near the bottom, i took pictures of where to drill the block for the alternator bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegun1 View Post
    110 octane, going to be for track use for awhile then switch out the pistons down the road for turbo. At least this is what my long term plan is right now.
    Currently have a Engine at machine shop that we were facing the same dilemma as you. Running nitrous for now and boost later. We decided on 10.5 to 1 compression. It will open up the tuning window for nitrous a little and still be boost friendly. Plus way cheaper fuel on motor but it is a street car. The sound of a high compression high reving motor can't be beat.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by tug686spd View Post
    The sound of a high compression high reving motor can't be beat.
    Agree.

Blog Entries

pewter
    1999 camaro ss

Didn't know I was going to need a spacer for the oil pump with the double roller timing chain. Nice job with the write up, I'll be referring back to this, thank you.

Navy Blue Metallic

Most ppl will dremil out the spots it touches. IIRC there's only 2 spots the chain touches or gets close to.

Thread Information