On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

ls-6 intake manifold install

I tried to do an ls-6 intake manifold install but halfway through literally I found the ls-6 wont fit. So I searched and found that I need to buy different coolant lines or grind it. I would rather grind it if I only have to do a little, just the thought of doing so scares me. So far I had to put everything back to stock and my hands look like I put them through a weed whacker for nothing. I can't believe how easy everyone says the install is, without mentiong-oh by the way you need some different coolant lines. So what have you guys done, and literally how much did you have to grind away, or how much does it cost for new lines?

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I tried to do an ls-6 intake manifold install but halfway through literally I found the ls-6 wont fit. So I searched and found that I need to buy different coolant lines or grind it. I would rather grind it if I only have to do a little, just the thought of doing so scares me. So far I had to put everything back to stock and my hands look like I put them through a weed whacker for nothing. I can't believe how easy everyone says the install is, without mentiong-oh by the way you need some different coolant lines. So what have you guys done, and literally how much did you have to grind away, or how much does it cost for new lines?
    ouch dude sorry to hear that, that suxs.

the worse part is that i think all you had to do was knock the little groove off of the bottom side of the intake.

I havent done it yet but i saw a pic someone posted and it seemed like a few minutes worth of work, not put it all back together because you did not have what you needed to finish it.

I've helped do a couple. We just bought the front LS6 coolant pipe and plugs for the rears. The PN's change all the time so not sure of the current cost. You can grind the bottom for the pipe, but alot better to just spend the money for the LS6 pipe/plugs and be done with it IMO. ls1howto.com's install article has the procedures and lists PN's, not sure if they're current though - like I said they keep changing them.

red
    1998 camaro z28

So you did a search and none of the posts mentioned grinding down the ribs or getting diff. crossover lines? I just did a simple search and found about 5-6 quick ones mentioning this will need to be done. While it was off you could of spend another 15 mins grinding down the ribs and it would've fit, you can thank GM for your hands btw

Bright Red
    99 Z28 M6, 03 Gixxer 1000

I just did mine this past weekend. I found many threads stating the design differences between the LS1 and LS6 intake. I used the instructions found on LS1howto.com. It didn't help with my hands being torn up though. I bought my coolant bypass kit from ebay. I also broke off that damn oil pressure sending unit. $75.00 wasted for that.

red
    1998 camaro z28

What causes you guys to break the sending unit? I have had mine off probably a dozen times or so and never broke the sending unit I can't figure out how this is such a common problem if you pull the intake off slowly and guide the tubing out of the way then you should be golden.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

I was careful with mine also and it still broke. I think the heat and just time makes it brittle. I barely touched mine and it broke.

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98formy View Post
    I was careful with mine also and it still broke. I think the heat and just time makes it brittle. I barely touched mine and it broke.
    That could be I guess, my z is a 98 as well so it just seems odd that these break so easily. Mine must be a tough SOB

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I broke it and my daily driver is down until I find a 27mm socket to get the damn thing out. I found a little spring right next to the ports on the #7 port. Now i'm thinking it wouldnt hurt to stick one of those magnets that has this extension on it down there, and then get the vacuum and suck the hell out of it. If I hadn't broken it I would have been done in 30min maybe less. Now I have to ride on my bike to find a parts store that carries this shit

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Update I installed and drove it around today. I over torqued the bolts that attach the throttle body to the manifold thankfully I had extra and getting them out is alot easier than if I had done that to the bolts that go to the heads. I'm gettin the tune this thursday she needs it. The only thing is when i took out the air I must have capped the wrong hole because now my ac doesn't work. The vent on the dash works but none of the others do. I can hear it working just no air coming out-just another 100 for the guys at newtech to fix for me. Other wise she's driveable and the headers and duals will be on by thursday!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Update I installed and drove it around today. I over torqued the bolts that attach the throttle body to the manifold thankfully I had extra and getting them out is alot easier than if I had done that to the bolts that go to the heads. I'm gettin the tune this thursday she needs it. The only thing is when i took out the air I must have capped the wrong hole because now my ac doesn't work. The vent on the dash works but none of the others do. I can hear it working just no air coming out-just another 100 for the guys at newtech to fix for me. Other wise she's driveable and the headers and duals will be on by thursday!
    sounds like you didn't get that little small hose on the back of the intake. There's a really small like 1/4" hose that goes on the intake.....sure you got that back on?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    sounds like you didn't get that little small hose on the back of the intake. There's a really small like 1/4" hose that goes on the intake.....sure you got that back on?
    I am sure I plugged it with a screw damnit. The hose you are talking about t'd off one going to the air valve the other going to the passanger side of the car. I have a feeling it has to do with the passenger side. No one had pics of which to put the screw in so I took a bad guess, hopefully this can be fixed w/o taking the manifold off.

Thread Information