3 42.86%
  • Other

2 28.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LPP or OBX

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

LPP or OBX

I just got the LPP True duals for my car and I am trying to decide what headers to get. It needs to stay legal though. Does the LPP have the air and egr hook ups and does that effect emissions? I am trying to decide between OBX and LPP and wanted to see what everyone else thought.

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

I have the cheapo ebay headers on my car....I must have a newer set because they fit great and my hooker stainless y pipe went right on (no collector aiming up toward the floorboard). They had the air and egr hookups but I had them cut off and welded shut before installing since I'm not running any smog stuff.
    1998 Sebring Silver Camaro SS Convertible
    Cammed, Geared, Stalled and soon to be blown via F1-C
    2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT
    Kook's 1 7/8's LTH's and catted X, Pypes A/B, Vararam, Tune
    2007 Black Raven Cadillac Escalade
    Vararam, Leveling Kit, 33's

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

If you don't have cats for the true duals than the legality question is moot. Doesn't Virginia do a visual inspection?

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    If you don't have cats for the true duals than the legality question is moot. Doesn't Virginia do a visual inspection?
    Yes Virginia does a visual inspection. I am getting cats for the duals before I have to get emissions again.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Yes Virginia does a visual inspection. I am getting cats for the duals before I have to get emissions again.
    Technically then you wouldn't pass a strict visual inspection. Long tubes make the set up illegal as they relocate the cats further down the exhaust. (violating federal law) Be careful.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Technically then you wouldn't pass a strict visual inspection. Long tubes make the set up illegal as they relocate the cats further down the exhaust. (violating federal law) Be careful.
    Really? WTF? How does a catalytic converter being another foot further down the pipe affect its ability to initiate a molecular change in the gasses passing through it? Is there a valid scientific reason for this or is it just a stupid 'don't mess with your cats' law?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Really? WTF? How does a catalytic converter being another foot further down the pipe affect its ability to initiate a molecular change in the gasses passing through it? Is there a valid scientific reason for this or is it just a stupid 'don't mess with your cats' law?
    Well they may not care as long as you HAVE cats but it is a fed law. Supposedly the farther away they are they don't get as hot/work efficiently. It wouldn't pass a visual in Cali.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Take that with a grain of salt. The last time I had emissions done, the car passed the OBD-II test, but the guy noticed the missing AIR and EGR components. He told me as as long as it passed the computer test, he couldn't override it, and as far as getting my plates renewed (only reason to do the emissions test), I was good to go. They may however try to raise a bigger stink if you're missing cats.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

To answer the original question...LPP.

Yes, they are both stainless steel headers, but the OBX are a stainless that gets a rust APPEARANCE when they have been used and are subject to high temp exhaust gasses. The LPP headers turn different shades of blue and purple when heated.

I bought the LPPs specifically for this purpose. I spent a lot of time and money prettying up my engine bay, so "rusted" headers under my hood would just kill the rest of the engine appearance wise, in my opinion.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    Take that with a grain of salt. The last time I had emissions done, the car passed the OBD-II test, but the guy noticed the missing AIR and EGR components. He told me as as long as it passed the computer test, he couldn't override it, and as far as getting my plates renewed (only reason to do the emissions test), I was good to go. They may however try to raise a bigger stink if you're missing cats.
    I know in virginia they don't really care what you do to your exhaust as long as you have cats...Well except maybe if you don't have some emissions stuff. But I do so I am not too worried about it besides I just had my emissions done so it's going to be two years before I have to worry about it again, so maybe I'll buy cats in two years.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 06-21-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I know in virginia they don't really care what you do to your exhaust as long as you have cats...Well except maybe if you don't have some emissions stuff. But I do so I am not too worried about it besides I just had my emissions done so it's going to be two years before I have to worry about it again, so maybe I'll buy cats in two years.
    What part of Virginia are you in? I have never had a emissions test done in Virginia Beach. I told two inspectors that my GTO had headers and cats and nothing was said.

Scott

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by NavyTATwo View Post
    What part of Virginia are you in? I have never had a emissions test done in Virginia Beach. I told two inspectors that my GTO had headers and cats and nothing was said.

Scott
    Not all of the state of VA does emissions inspection. They have it in the counties that make up the DC suburbs.

Black/ Silver

Scott
    I live in Northern VA

Black

Not all of the state of VA does emissions inspection. They have it in the counties that make up the DC suburbs.
    I figured it was up there. I grew up in Alexandria and Springfield but back then we didn't have the tests.

Scott

Black

I live in Northern VA
    Cool, I used to live up there before I went into the Navy. My recruiter was in a strip mall off of Backlick (?) road in Springfield. The only thing still there that I remember from that time (1985) is the 1320 Club which was across the street from the Navy recruiters office. Good luck with your duals and headers, I have considered trying the same set up but my GTO is the priority for my mod money right now.

Scott

Black/ Silver

Cool, I used to live up there before I went into the Navy. My recruiter was in a strip mall off of Backlick (?) road in Springfield. The only thing still there that I remember from that time (1985) is the 1320 Club which was across the street from the Navy recruiters office. Good luck with your duals and headers, I have considered trying the same set up but my GTO is the priority for my mod money right now.

Scott
    I haven't lived here all my life, since my dad is in the Navy as well. The recruiter is still off of Backlick. But since I have lived here not much has changed.

Black

I haven't lived here all my life, since my dad is in the Navy as well. The recruiter is still off of Backlick. But since I have lived here not much has changed.
    Cool. Well I guess I have a few years on you, my parents moved to the DC area in the late '60's. Northern Virginia was a great place to grow up in, probably still is. I bought my first Trans Am (White 1973 455 non SD Turbo 400) from a guy at a garage that was before the onramp to get on I-95 South. At that time you could turn left from Old Keene Mill RD/Franconia RD onto Backlick. That was in June of 1981. I have been a Pontiac guy ever since then.

Scott

I heard that may change soon the state is considering requiring all counties to do emissions testing. In VA as long as you pass the sniffer and have cats you are ok unless you get an inspector who plays it by the book.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    I heard that may change soon the state is considering requiring all counties to do emissions testing. In VA as long as you pass the sniffer and have cats you are ok unless you get an inspector who plays it by the book.
    The counties around DC that have it don't do a sniffer test anymore on cars with OBD-II. Computer hook-up only.

Black/ Silver

I decided to go with OBX I got them in yesterday, so hopefully in a few days I'll have everything hooked up.

Thread Information