Awaiting Activation BlackBeastLS1's Avatar

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Cool Loudmouth with Shorties?

Has anybody ever heard the loudmouth system with shortie headers? Is it gonna be real loud or about the same as stock?

99 Firebird Formula

Are you going to use cats?

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

yea

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I am going to guess a little louder than stock manifolds.
    The stock manifolds are in effect shorties. Just don't flow as well or scavange as well as aftermarket ones.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Got that setup now. BBk shorties, stock cats, stock y-pipe, LM2. It's a real deep big block like rumble if you ask me. Had an LM1 also but with stock manifolds. LM2 really cut down on the higher pitch exhaust note and eliminated most of the pop and gurgling when you let off the pedal. BUT, under acceleration the LM1 sounded GREAT.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

So its not too raspy? and how does it sound while at idle?

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Are you an M6 or A-4? I have an M6 and at idle it's low deep rumble with no rasp. At acceleration it's a louder deep big block rumble with no rasp. When I let off the pedal there is a slight short low deep gurgle and a low deep pop or two. NOTHING like the LM1. The whole idea behind the LM2 is to filter out that higher rasp note and take care of the gurgle and pop. I must admit tho that the LM1 has still got me hooked for the sound at WOT. As for performance, I don't know if there is a diff or not. I have no clue about anything for an A-4. I hear the drone of the LM1 really sux for an auto.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

I have an A4 and i planned on getting the LM1 do you think its gonna be too droned at idle?

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeastLS1
    I have an A4 and i planned on getting the LM1 do you think its gonna be too droned at idle?
    Don't know about idle. It will drone when you let off and coast or with the criuse on during a trip. I personally would chose another option with an A-4.
    Something with a muffler other than flowmaster.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Huskerz1:

I have a 2000 SS and wanted to know how those BBK shorties have worked for you. I have a M6 w/LM1. how much difference not only in sound but in HP would you estimate those shorties to have over stock manifolds? also did you do the install yourself? im thinking about shorties so they can bolt up to the stock y-pipe/cats with no problems. what are your thoughts? your neighbor to the east in Dallas, Brian
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS
    Huskerz1:

I have a 2000 SS and wanted to know how those BBK shorties have worked for you. I have a M6 w/LM1. how much difference not only in sound but in HP would you estimate those shorties to have over stock manifolds? also did you do the install yourself? im thinking about shorties so they can bolt up to the stock y-pipe/cats with no problems. what are your thoughts? your neighbor to the east in Dallas, Brian
    No I didn't install them. My 99 vert came with them from the previous owner. I don't really notice a huge difference in power to be honest. But there is some. I'm sure shorties flow more than stock and scavenge more but really all I noticed was a bit more sound. I'm sure you'll benefit more with the LM1 as far as sound. I have LM2. From what I can see, there really shouldn't be a problem putting them on. If you can take your stock manifolds off then the shorties should be no problem. They bolt right in place and to the cats. I don't know if I'm going to keep them. I may go to LT's and high flow cats someday. First on my list right now are gears(3.73), suspension, and a dyno tune to see just where I stand. Know where a good tuner is in DFW?
    Last edited by Huskerz1; 04-26-2006 at 09:53 PM.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

SSwt00SS,

Hey the more I think about it. I believe you should go with an slp y-pipe too. You'll get better(louder) sound outta your LM1 and flow more exhaust. It's a really easy bolt on too. Go for shorties, keep the cats, get slp y-pipe, and ditch the stock y-pipe. Get a tune. Bet you'll be happier.
    Last edited by Huskerz1; 04-26-2006 at 10:06 PM.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Huskerz1:

http://www.real-performance-motorsports.com/index.cfm

i hope this link works for you. its for a place called RPM (Real Performance Motorsports) in Lewisville, Tx. If you click on the 'contact' link, you will be able to get their address, phone, hours of operation, and a yahoo map to their shop. I have not been there but they do have a Dynojet Dynometer, so i do believe that they should be able to do a tune also.

i got my car dyno'd at Lone Star Performance in Garland, TX about a month ago. it was $75 for (3) runs, though i only did (2) runs because my car was running lean at high RPM. still cost me $75 and they were ok. They specialize more with Mustangs than F-Body's and at that time i did not know of RPM. LSP told em they would do a tune on my car but that total it would run me almost $1000 dollars. Their reason was because they would have to purchase the tune software, install it, then dyno, tune, dyno, tune...blah, blah, till they got it tuned right. that's way to much for me when i hear of others getting tuned for less than 1/2 that.

the 2 runs i did at LSP I had the first run done when i had my HPPIII on my car and i dyno'd less torque but 2 more HP, and was runnig lean. the second run i de-tuned my car back to stock and resulted in 2 less HP and 2 more ft/lbs or torque. I had more HP and more TQ across the entire powerband without the HPPIII. so i have left it off my car and plan to sell it. the only other mods are the ones in my sig.

thanks for the advise about the SLP Y-pipe, i will look into that as well as BBK shorties for an '00 SS. my question for you is why after i put headers and an SLP y-yipe, why would i need a tune? sorry this got long. let me know what you think.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

I guess you really don't have to tune. You will flow more air thru your engine tho so I always thought it would make sense to do it especially if your going to put headers on. I guess I just want to get the most out of my mods. Ya it does cost alot. Your right tho, I'm not going to do it after every little mod or something. Thanks for the link, I'll check them out.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Here is what mine sounded on the dyno. This is with stock manifolds, Offroad Y and LM with Borla XR1 (replacing the resonator). I imagine the LM2 is close to the sound. The car has a deep rumble at low rpm, but will get really loud when on it. As you can see stock manifolds flow decently considering the power I'm making for my mods.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...uebird&pl=true
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

Thread Information