Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

peweter
    2000 trans am ws6

Loud exhaust with rules?

I posted earlier about which catback system to use and i really am thankfull for all the helpfull advice i got from everyone. I realized i didnt give enough info. Im looking for a loud catback bolt on system at idle or something that sounds good. I am not going to put headers on or take cats off since we have strict visual inspections and very strict emissions here so a bolt on cat back??????? I thought magna flow or alot of people say loudmouth1 so which??? Thanks....

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

magnaflow will be close to stock with cats and stock manifolds
    I was disappointed with my magnaflow until i took the cats out and installed the longtubes, sounded almost the same as my stock ws6 system
    Loudmouth 1 is more what you're looking for and if thats too loud get the LM2 resonator to replace the LM1 resonator.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    magnaflow will be close to stock with cats and stock manifolds
    I was disappointed with my magnaflow until i took the cats out and installed the longtubes, sounded almost the same as my stock ws6 system
    Loudmouth 1 is more what you're looking for and if thats too loud get the LM2 resonator to replace the LM1 resonator.
    I haven't heard magnaflows on an f-body but I love the way they sound on my Cobra. Dunno if they have the same sound comparison over stock on an LS1...

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    I haven't heard magnaflows on an f-body but I love the way they sound on my Cobra. Dunno if they have the same sound comparison over stock on an LS1...
    I love my magnaflow and would do it again, but if it were on the stock manifolds/ypipe i would choose something like corsa.
    Lots of people love their loudmouth til they remove the cats but if he plans on keeping those i think thats his safest bet.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

They will all be quiet at idle on a car that will stick with stock exhaust manifolds and cats, you won't get around that, even a cutout at idle on your setup don't sound like anything. If you want the louder of the bunch the slp will be the loudest at wot.

Quote Originally Posted by docjohnson2000 View Post
    I posted earlier about which catback system to use and i really am thankfull for all the helpfull advice i got from everyone. I realized i didnt give enough info. Im looking for a loud catback bolt on system at idle or something that sounds good. I am not going to put headers on or take cats off since we have strict visual inspections and very strict emissions here so a bolt on cat back??????? I thought magna flow or alot of people say loudmouth1 so which??? Thanks....
    Long tube headers and a 3" Y pipe really uncorks the sound in these cars. I would reconsider staying with stock manifolds. My state has strict emmissions and I get away with it like most people. If you just want loud get the loudmouth 1 though.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Long tube headers and a 3" Y pipe really uncorks the sound in these cars. I would reconsider staying with stock manifolds. My state has strict emmissions and I get away with it like most people. If you just want loud get the loudmouth 1 though.
    Hey we should encourage those few who wish to stay legal. Maybe if more did my car wouldn't have to go to a test only center

peweter
    2000 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by mike0202 View Post
    long tube headers and a 3" y pipe really uncorks the sound in these cars. I would reconsider staying with stock manifolds. My state has strict emmissions and i get away with it like most people. If you just want loud get the loudmouth 1 though.
    what setup do you have

peweter
    2000 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    hey we should encourage those few who wish to stay legal. Maybe if more did my car wouldn't have to go to a test only center
    yeah i know legal sucks but i built two other cars that are illegal and im sick of the hassle. I have to know someone every year and pay more to pass and my trans am is a 4th car. I dont drive it much so iwant to keep it close and have fun

peweter
    2000 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    i love my magnaflow and would do it again, but if it were on the stock manifolds/ypipe i would choose something like corsa.
    Lots of people love their loudmouth til they remove the cats but if he plans on keeping those i think thats his safest bet.
    thanks i like your advice

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I see where you're coming from. It's nice to have enough assortment of cars to be able to leave one stock.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Gonna throw in my 2 cents, loud doesnt mean it sounds good. The loudmouth exhaust reminds me of a garbage truck, very unrefined.
    My vote is for magnaflow. Its going to be tame during normal driving, but sound very good when you get on it.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    Gonna throw in my 2 cents, loud doesnt mean it sounds good. The loudmouth exhaust reminds me of a garbage truck, very unrefined.
    My vote is for magnaflow. Its going to be tame during normal driving, but sound very good when you get on it.
    This is exactley what i was going to say, and from what i see magnaflow is the best flowing muffler.

Quote Originally Posted by cpop98ws6 View Post
    This is exactley what i was going to say, and from what i see magnaflow is the best flowing muffler.
    The thing is at his powerlevels just a muffler/catback swap isnt going to really out flow another other exhaust by that much. Magnaflow flows great on a heads/cam car but I dont think he is going to see huge gains from it. Magnaflow also sounds good, but it is really quiet. My friend has magnaflow with headers and it sounds as loud as stock.
    Last edited by Mike0202; 11-23-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by docjohnson2000 View Post
    what setup do you have
    Right now I have Pacesetter long tubes, Texas speed 3" Y, Highflow cats, and a two chamber muffler (40 series). Its not that loud. Probably comparable to loudmouth 1 on stock manifolds.
    Last edited by Mike0202; 11-23-2010 at 09:21 AM.

black

My friend has magnaflow with headers and it sounds as loud as stock.
    No disrespect, but you must have bad hearing.

No disrespect, but you must have bad hearing.
    nah its as loud as my buddys stock z28 side by side. It sounds good though, just not loud imo.
    Last edited by Mike0202; 11-23-2010 at 05:53 PM.

black

nah its as loud as my buddys stock z28 side by side. It sounds good though, just not loud imo.
    Before i got cammed, i had a magnaflow, off road y pipe and long tubes, it made my car 5 times louder than it was stock

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Get the adjustable Borla catback and put an Qtec Electric valve in it where the plates go. It will be louder than all the others open and quieter when it's closed.

Before i got cammed, i had a magnaflow, off road y pipe and long tubes, it made my car 5 times louder than it was stock
    His is catted, ill have to get a vid. Sounds real tame, but in a good way.

Thread Information