Trans Am owner
    former

lose low end with new exhaust

I made a thread on another forum about my car, and I said on the bottom, that I was gonna chop the cat out, and put in a 3" stright pipe.

a bunch of idiots on there said my 2.5" factory y-pipe was too big, and with a 3" I will not gain much power, and lose a ton of low end. they also said my fuel economy and torque is gonna go in the toilet!

so, who has gone from a stock to a 3" y-pipe in their car? a lot of guys right? all I have ever heard is good things about the swap......

Trans Am owner
    former

oops, can a mod please move this to "external engine"

I clicked the wrong sub-forum

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorustler41 View Post
    I made a thread on another forum about my car, and I said on the bottom, that I was gonna chop the cat out, and put in a 3" stright pipe.

a bunch of idiots on there said my 2.5" factory y-pipe was too big, and with a 3" I will not gain much power, and lose a ton of low end. they also said my fuel economy and torque is gonna go in the toilet!

so, who has gone from a stock to a 3" y-pipe in their car? a lot of guys right? all I have ever heard is good things about the swap......

if you have the stock manifolds(exhaust) still on the car, you wont gain more than 5 rwhp by swapping out y pipe. the stock manifolds are were the exhaust restriction is.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    1999 Formula

uhh i have LT's wit a 3 inch y pipe, slp catback n shits fine i also have a cam n my new exhaust set up definelty made my car faster, with the LT's ull lose a lil low end but gain on the top end

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

So, would it be ok if i did the cam without/before doing LTs and exhaust?
    i'm really looking forward to doing the cam. wont the stock manafolds/exhaust hold up to 400hp flow?
    i know this will add some back pressure to the system, but wont it increase my torque because of that?

98 Ticket Red Z28
    Mods:
    Front/rear sway bars, poly bushings all around, Bilstein Shocks, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Pacesetter LT's, 2.5" Custom True Duals over the axle with Magnaflow mufflers, Shortened Pro 5.0 shifter, TurnOne PS pump.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by raysz28 View Post
    So, would it be ok if i did the cam without/before doing LTs and exhaust?
    i'm really looking forward to doing the cam. wont the stock manafolds/exhaust hold up to 400hp flow?
    i know this will add some back pressure to the system, but wont it increase my torque because of that?

you will be lucky to pick up half of the cams gain with stock manifolds.

just adding headers to a stock ls1 will add up to 30 rwhp with a tune, that right there is telling you how choked the ls1 is

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by raysz28 View Post
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81972

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout99 View Post
    uhh i have LT's wit a 3 inch y pipe, slp catback n shits fine i also have a cam n my new exhaust set up definelty made my car faster, with the LT's ull lose a lil low end but gain on the top end
    I don't know where this myth comes from but I can only guess.

When you add LTH's, you do not loose power on the bottom end. You think you loose it because you gain so much on the top end. Its all in your head.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorustler41 View Post

Those other forum guys are just wrong. I gained more torque than HP with LTs and 3" Y. You will gain HP, torque, and even MPG with headers and larger exhaust pipes. Less restriction = more efficiency/power.

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

So, i think the third and forth gen camaros have the same rear end setup right?
    if that is true can i get a third gen cat back setup to fit my forth gen?

Trans Am owner
    former

right. I dont know 100% if it will line up with your y-pipe properly though.

the exhaust on thrid gens is located more to the passenger side skirt. the 4th gen's is located closer to the center. you are better off gettin a 4th gen one

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

2.5 inch is good enough till 450RWHP

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

a 3" cat back is just right for your setup, going 3" inch duals however would be overkill, maybe the guys misunderstood you or didnt understand the setup or schematic of a late model f body's system, i would recommend getting a magnaflow cat back, unlike many others that become to loud once you start modding the car, the magnaflow works just right. keeps the rasp and the loud idle down, and then at wot it screams. the tips are nice to look at as well.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    . Its all in your head.
    This is exactly what I was going to write when I saw the thread. In your head, thats it.

Your mind will play tricks on you when it comes to 5-10 HP in certain rpm ranges!!!

Thread Information