Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Looking for a True Dual Exhuast.....

I currently have a magnaflow cat-back with stock headers. I would like to put on some true duals with no cats. I know about the slp loudmouths but I would like something not as loud and maybe something with a deeper tone. I like the tone my magnaflows produce, but being a cat back I know they are restrictive. Any tips? Thanks.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Duals aren't for the tame of heart.
    ls1sounds.com check it out if you haven't
    I have duals and magnaflow bullets which definitely has little street manners.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    What are you talking about street manners...I dont even run muffs on mine

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by camaroluvr447 View Post
    I currently have a magnaflow cat-back with stock headers. I would like to put on some true duals with no cats. I know about the slp loudmouths but I would like something not as loud and maybe something with a deeper tone. I like the tone my magnaflows produce, but being a cat back I know they are restrictive. Any tips? Thanks.
    Google Bassani tru dual system.

Here is mine w/ longtubes. Originally designed to bolt on stock exhaust manifolds w/ cats.

There are more pics in the sticky thread.

Junior Member Last of the Breed's Avatar

Peweter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    How do you like your magnaflow bullets? As far as how loud they are, how do they compare to the flowmaster single chambers and what would you recommend for the loudest, deepest sounding muffler/bullet?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    What are you talking about street manners...I dont even run muffs on mine
    Been there done that and at 22 I would like to retain my hearing for a few more years
    Quote Originally Posted by Last of the Breed View Post
    How do you like your magnaflow bullets? As far as how loud they are, how do they compare to the flowmaster single chambers and what would you recommend for the loudest, deepest sounding muffler/bullet?
    I would say if you go over the axle it might be liveable. My car being an a4 sits right at 2000rpms on the freeway and that as you know is the point where our cars drone the most. When I first did the exhaust it ended at the axle and everytime I started it up in a parking lot anything within 4 cars went off (every single time). It was cool at first but just way to much so I put it over the axle and that helped, and then I put cats on it and that helped a little more, now I am putting in sound deadening.
    Granted if I slow down to where the rpms sit just below 1700rpms (your freeway speed) it becomes a lot more quiet. But nothing sounds better to me when I stand on the peddle, I have gotten a few compliments when doing mountain cruises and everyone in the valey below can hear me
    I would go with a muffler that has a little more meat on it (still straight threw design)than my racing bullets, I like them it's just they are loud all the time.

car exhaust ending at axle

over axle and no cats

red
    2000TA

I am going to use the summit X-pipe kit ,and fab it up my self.no tail pipes,magnaflows with turn dwns.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Here's my setup, true duals with Magnaflow 6" round mufflers:

Its relatively quiet at idle, but when you really get on the throttle, it opens up

*Note: If you want to go with a setup like this, get the 4" round mufflers instead. The 6" required the exhaust shop to bang in the spare tire well to get the passenger side muffler to fit, which isn't ideal.

red
    2000TA

that looks great.did you use a kit or was it fabbed from scratch ?

Blue
    1999 Blown Trans Am

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0YnFYnJkWw[/ame]

Factory heads to the Resonators to 3" pipe. Flattened out to account for clearance. Gets loud when you get on it. Other than that it’s not bad. LOL Oh and it’s really loud when you floor it to pass someone. It will bounce off the car into the window and then you both know it’s not just a V8 its American muscle!

Here is one more but its not as clean of an audio clip.
    http://www.mypowerblock.com/video/fi...a-parking-spot

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

here is what I have on my car right now, it comes in a single pipe from the cats. Any way I can use this system to get true duals? or at least something more efficent? I feel like since it is only "dual" at the muffler it is robbing me of some performance. I would rather not just scrap the system though......can i work with it? Thanks.

http://images.magnaflow.com/02produc...s/15684_lg.jpg

Last edited by camaroluvr447; 01-30-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: add pic

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by garygnu65 View Post
    that looks great.did you use a kit or was it fabbed from scratch ?
    All custom work done by a local exhaust shop. Took him a while to do, ended up costing me about $750. But it came out nice, he said the most difficult part was getting the bends over the axle just right.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by camaroluvr447 View Post
    here is what I have on my car right now, it comes in a single pipe from the cats. Any way I can use this system to get true duals? or at least something more efficent? I feel like since it is only "dual" at the muffler it is robbing me of some performance. I would rather not just scrap the system though......can i work with it? Thanks.

http://images.magnaflow.com/02produc...s/15684_lg.jpg
    You would basically need to get an entirely new system, because the muffler only has one inlet, so you couldn't run dual exhaust into it.

red
    2000TA

a very good Y-pipe makes a big difference.do research and check around on Y-pipe pictures.use the same Y-pipe the fast people use.I feel a good Y-pipe system can handle 400 rwhp.

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

If you get headers too, you could get the Texas Speed True Duals, which is what I have. Up until Wednesday I had Sweet Thunders with it and it sounded amazing. After awhile I wanted to change it up, so I put Magnaflow bullets on it because some people have said that they are a little bit quieter..after only having them on for 4 days, I can say I absolutely hate them. As c5z28 mentioned the drone is obnoxious, gives me a huge headache (my car sees a lot of highway). I don't know if I'll go back to the Sweet Thunders though because they look a little restrictive. I don't mean to Hijack here, but what's your guys take on this pic? Its 3 in inlet, then goes to 2.5 then 3 out. Picture is taken from the inlet.

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

I found a dyno chart from magnaflow for my system, the cat-back alone on a stock vehicle provides 13.8 RWHP and 17.7 lbs of torque. I dont know if any one else has this but it might be useful.

my current system with stock cats/headers

magnaflows dyno chart for this system.

I also found this article by magnaflow that gives some good info on exhaust in general.
    http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/news/mffvscat.asp

Mufflers vs. Cat-Back Systems
    Which to buy and why?

We’ve seen and heard this debate rage on for years. Every now and then, we like to jump in and give our consumers some real information so that they can make an educated decision.

Cat-back Systems
    They are what the name implies…a full exhaust system from the catalytic converter(s) back. Since it is unlawful to remove cats before 50,000 miles (or unless they’re damaged…in most states…check local laws), most exhaust companies including MagnaFlow, offer such systems.

There are many advantages to choosing this route. For one thing, the tubing diameter of most aftermarket exhaust systems is usually larger and this configuration, usually offers more horsepower, especially in turbocharged vehicles. Of course, not all manufacturers test and build their systems the same way.

Some choose to skimp on materials an offer aluminized tubing which is good for a year or two, but is far cheaper. That’s a compromise they may choose. Most reputable companies offer stainless steel construction and while some still use cheaper materials on the inside of the muffler, the systems’ overall construction is usually acceptable. Smart consumers looking to hold onto their vehicles for a few years will always opt for 100% stainless, inside and out. It’s a simple question you can ask directly to the manufacturer.

With today’s engines and exhaust tracts being offered as highly efficient right from the factory, extensive testing is required to actually gain horsepower. There are many companies that simply offer a bigger pipe and a muffler that is more free flowing and while the vehicle is louder, they can not quantify any horsepower gain. This is especially true in 4 cylinder naturally aspirated cars. Additionally, testing with and with resonators is needed otherwise, an unwelcome drone will aggravate passengers to no end.

Believe it or not, bigger is not always better and dual exhaust is not always better. Due to engine configurations, exhaust gas pulse characteristics, cylinder head configurations and chassis constraints, every cat back system offered on the market is a compromise. Some companies, like MagnaFlow, offer their systems with and without resonators because some customers, no matter how much you try to educate, refuse to believe that a modest sounding exhaust can offer the most power. These are just some of the issues we face as we design our systems.

When we test our exhaust systems, we usually go through 10 to 20 different designs before we find one that is the best compromise between noise-statute compliance and power gains. Our 350Z system is a perfect example. We tested with two mufflers, two pipes, true duals, different pipe and muffler configurations and designs and in the end, came up with a design that actually made measurable horsepower. Credit Nissan for designing a system that was difficult to improve upon, but it took some serious engineering to accomplish a power gain.

At Magnaflow, we won’t offer for sale a cat-back exhaust system without dyno testing and sound checks. It takes longer and we’re usually the second or third company to bring ours to market, but it performs and fits well right out of the box.

No matter what company you choose for your cat back system, you must have great confidence that they’re dyno testing. Without this assurance, you can almost guarantee that despite your vehicle being louder, you are almost certainly losing horsepower and torque.

Shop-Built Systems:
    Most exhaust shops are very capable of building you an exhaust system. Since they don’t dyno test, you may drive off with a vehicle that sounds nice, but may be kicking out fewer ponies than when you rolled in…a lot fewer. Shops will also tell you that they mandrel bend their pipes. There are many types of mandrels. The good ones do NOT neck down the pipe size at the bend. 95% of the muffler shops don’t have this equipment…yet another reason you may want to buy a good, aftermarket cat-back system.

Also remember that your muffler shop most probably has not dyno tested and done the engineering that most good exhaust manufacturers perform. This should be an important part of your buying decision. It is a big reason why many good muffler shops now offer and recommend properly-engineered cat back systems…they want happy customers.

Universal Mufflers:
    Every good exhaust company offers these in a wide range of configurations. Quite simply, there are many cars that will never see cat-back systems offered so these are a necessary part of doing business. Like everything else, there’s a “good-better-best” scenario.

Some mufflers are offered in aluminized…these are decent OE replacements for consumers on a budget.

Some are stainless steel which, although higher priced, will usually outlast the OE units. They offer freer flowing and a throaty sound but again, without dyno testing, there are no guarantees of performance gains.

Still others are offered as three chamber designs. Acoustically, these are some of the loudest mufflers on the market. Many cat back systems sold by our competitors are offered in this configuration. Noise compliance issues aside, these systems have been around for years and most consumers are aware of them. There are those die hard fans who truly adore the sound of a 3 chamber design, so most companies offer them.

The most important thing to remember here is that a muffler is just one piece of a system: the entire system must be matched and tested extensively to yield positive results. No manufacturer quotes horsepower gains for universal mufflers because to do so would be irresponsible.

So why do people buy Universals? Some consumers are satisfied with a throatier sound and usually have some measure of confidence that anything that flows better has to be good for the car. This of course, is not the case, but for those consumers looking to improve the looks and sound of any vehicle, this affordable approach is attractive to many.

Which should you buy?
    It depends upon your budget and goals for the vehicle. If you want it done right, a properly engineered, dyno tested cat back system is the best choice, hands down. In situations where lack of availability of such a system or associated costs are prohibitive, consider some of the alternatives we’ve presented here.

No matter what your choice, MagnaFlow is proud to offer high quality options across the board. We hope this information will be helpful in allowing you or your customers to make the choice that best suits their needs.

And here is magnaflows site where they list ALL THE DYNO CHARTS for ALL the systems they make!

http://www.magnaflow.com/newdyno.asp

hope someone finds this usefull

red
    2000TA

who offer a good merger Y-pipe,3in to 4in?

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

TSP true duals [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-OU285CVVk[/ame]

Thread Information