blue
    1998 Trans Am

looking for horses

I have a basically stock 98 trans am and I'm looking for easy HP. I got a Slp air lid and chopped exhaust.what Do you guys recommend I do next? Thanks, a new guy to the ls game

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Welcome to the site.

Here are a couple of links to info you should know since your new to LS cars and F-Bodies

General Info Stickies:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/general...tickies-79085/

Tech Support Stickies:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/technic...tickies-79083/

1st one is general info on the differences between the years and other such info, things that are good to know.

The 2nd is tech write ups from members here on issues that our F-Body cars have and do it your-self fixes. Some are very easy to do some are difficult. It all depends on your skill level.

Now to your original question.

It all depends on your budget, skill level, and what direction you want to go (street/track/DD/combo)

Almost everyone here will recommend:

Sub frame connectors are a must. Car body can flex under stock power. SFC's will help prevent.
    Headers - long tubes, ORY, and/or Cat back
    Delete the EGR and air pump - later yrs it was taken off, in the tech threads can show you how. Most ppl due this while they do headers.
    LS6 intake - this intake is very good and gives you about 30% air volume increase. If you're really wanting to get serious HP look @ a FAST 102 intake (but it also has a high price tag)
    M6 - upgrade the clutch to at lease a LS7 clutch kit or better
    A4 - stall convertor - this will help wake up the tranny
    CAM - this is an area that would take a long time to go over.
    Heads - Our cylinder heads are very restrictive when compared to others. Most ppl upgrade to 243 or 799 heads or even 5.3 truck heads. Port and polish will net you a few more hp.

Now some things about the 98 you need to know.

Our LS motors have an issue with the Oil Pump. Some go out while others last. It was such an issue that GM upgraded them to a LS6 OP in later yrs.

Our yr is the only year that doesn't suffer from "chicken pocks" That is an issue with the sail panel that the glue begins to bubble through the paint. Only way to fix is to replace the panel and remove all of the adhesive. Here's the catch, GM quit making panels. One of our sponsors is doing a replacement panel now.

There are a few other things we have that the other yrs do not some good and some bad. This info is in the General Info Sticky thread above.

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions here. This site isn't like the others, if you get trolled or have some jackass tell you to use the search the mods will handle it. That stuff isn't put up with here in the tech sections. AAG has a little more freedom.

And again welcome.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

It all depends on your budget, skill level, and what direction you want to go (street/track/DD/combo)

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions here. This site isn't like the others, if you get trolled or have some jackass tell you to use the search the mods will handle it. That stuff isn't put up with here in the tech sections. AAG has a little more freedom.

And again welcome.
    ^ My favorite parts from this great reply.

I'm the type of guy who will point out it isn't all about Hp. Strengthen your car from the rear to the front and you'll have a new animal. Swap out the crap stamped suspension, upgrade the rear and put in a drivetrain to take a beating with some sticky tires, your going to be very satisfied. The ls1 has a lot of power stock that gets lost through the drive train and suspension. These are things that will need to be done eventually, as the more motor upgrades you do, the weaker they get.

Just a different point of view.
    Last edited by KMdef9; 02-08-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Good advice here already. To give you an example of what suspension and drive train can do...

I ran a best of 13.79 with my car completely stock.

I built the suspension and entire drive-train and with only headers added to the mix, my car went 13.09. With more practice, I probably would have got somewhere around a 12.8.

Almost a full second reduction from just getting the horsepower already there to the ground more effectively.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Agree with everything above. I'd also add, depending on the mods you plan to do, also look into getting a tune. Even with a stock motor, a Frost (site sponser - check out his link at the top) tune is highly recommended, and many members here will testify about them.

Thread Information