Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Look at my K&N ! Pictures !!!

This is a discussion on Look at my K&N ! Pictures !!! within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 i have the free ram air mod also and after 1 week of doing the mod ...

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    i have the free ram air mod also and after 1 week of doing the mod i checked my filter and it was dirty with bigger chunks of bugs and little rocks...what i did was took a chunk of home screen repair and cut a chunk of it to line my airbox tray. this way the bigger chunks and stuff are deflected from the screen and allows the filter to do a more thorough job without clogging up with bigger chunks
    exactly what I was planning on doing. Glad to hear it helped !

I also checked my MAF and its dry as new. No issues there.

BLACK
    1999 camaro ss

i have a volant. so far so good. anyone else use their filters??

SOM
    2002 SS

Wow well i just got my UOA back and it came back nearly identical to my moms brand new 2010 ford edge that i sent in just for comparisions sake. To all the internet experts I say

I didn't think you would find anything, as long as you clean and oil the filter regularly.
    I've never found any issues with my oil annalys to make me suspect the air filter wasn't doing a good enough job.

Easy to do and worth it to put your mind at ease.

Post Numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Wow well i just got my UOA back and it came back nearly identical to my moms brand new 2010 ford edge that i sent in just for comparisions sake. To all the internet experts I say
    Awesome! Let’s see the numbers.

YourNextOilChange.com
    Last edited by CompSyn; 01-10-2010 at 11:35 PM.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I would also like to add that as an experiment at the track, I ran my car 9 times. 3 each, no air filter, new Delco paper, clean K&N. In my case, at least, the difference was no difference. I stick with the paper filter for my car.
    first time I put my car on the dyno (mods:mti lid,borla catback,slp y pipe) car put down 293/293 on the first two runs. took out my clean paper air filter on the third run and she put down 302/302. not quite sure why the hell this happened. Def. didn't think a filter would make that big of a difference.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    first time I put my car on the dyno (mods:mti lid,borla catback,slp y pipe) car put down 293/293 on the first two runs. took out my clean paper air filter on the third run and she put down 302/302. not quite sure why the hell this happened. Def. didn't think a filter would make that big of a difference.
    Paper filters are definitely restrictive, they have to be in order to adequately filter the incoming air. K&N's definitely flow better than stock, but so do the AEM dryflow filters and Amsoil Ea filters, which don't require any oil.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I would have to agree with you.

Most LS1's I have seen dyno (and it has been a fair amount) tend to dyno highest on their 3rd or 4th pull. That may or may not have something to do with it.

Maybe later this year I will try a couple pulls with and without paper filter.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I tend to think that for our mostly stock cars, any kind of quality clean filter will show almost 0 change. But I don't know why yours did, either, maybe like Wesman said. And dyno results can vary 2-3% between runs, can't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Paper filters are definitely restrictive, they have to be in order to adequately filter the incoming air. K&N's definitely flow better than stock, but so do the AEM dryflow filters and Amsoil Ea filters, which don't require any oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I would have to agree with you.

Most LS1's I have seen dyno (and it has been a fair amount) tend to dyno highest on their 3rd or 4th pull. That may or may not have something to do with it.

Maybe later this year I will try a couple pulls with and without paper filter.
    Now with your car, it probably will make a difference. Your engine probably flows 2 or 3 more grams/second then stock, eh?

Black
    1999 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    I've never had a problem with my K&N. I was instructed back at 16yrs old to clean and oil it then put a paper filter in for a few days to let the k&N sit and dry to keep from sucking the oil back.. Since my T/A isn't a daily car it's pretty easy to clean and let it sit out for 48 hrs or so before reinstalling.
    BINGO! This is exactly what I do, as well. And I, too, have had no trouble with my K&N's. Here's the method I use...

Spray the filter with K&N's Cleaning Detergent and then rinse it with low pressure water.

Allow the filter to dry for a day or so, then oil it. I spray just enough oil on it to be sure all the pleats are red.

Then I prop it up a few feet in front of an electric fan on low speed for a couple days. This allows the oil to be thoroughly soaked up by the pleats. And the fan helps to push out any excess oil that could end up on the MAF Sensor or further down the line.

Then finally before reinstalling, I wipe off the rubber seal around the pleats and back in the airbox it goes.

This process takes about 3-4 days to complete. The same as chuckie669, my car isn't a daily driver. Although my Sonoma, on the other hand, is my everyday vehicle and while performing the cleaning/oiling to its K&N filter I throw in the original paper filter.

1999 Firebird Formula
    M6 Hurst-Billet Short-Throw|SLP Airlid, Smooth Bellows, Polished TB, & LS6 Intake|Jet Hot LTs, Catted Y-Pipe, & SLP Loudmouth|SLP Subframe Connectors
    Spohn Adj. Torque Arm & LCAs

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Glad it works for you guys who like your K&N. Too much work for me, tho, for no proven gain for me when I tested at the track.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information