Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Look at my K&N ! Pictures !!!

This is a discussion on Look at my K&N ! Pictures !!! within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; The only time I had an issue with my MAF was a few weeks ago when I had my radiator ...

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

The only time I had an issue with my MAF was a few weeks ago when I had my radiator replaced. I left the shop and the car was jerking under acceleration. I turned around and went back to the shop and my friend scanned the OBD and got a low MAF reading, which turned out to be an oily MAF. He sprayed the MAF and test drove the car and all is good right now. I have a spare NOPI filter in my basement that uses no oil and I am considering testing that on the car. I just don't know if I will lose HP once the NOPI filter goes in and the K&N/velocity stack comes out.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I've had issues with my K&N contaminating my MAF also. Oiled gauze filters just aren't ideal for many reasons.

I'm planning on ordering an Amsoil Ea reuseable filter in the near future, since they flow better yet catch much more dirt than K&N filters.

I'd prefer to get an AEM Dryflow Synthetic filter, but as of now they don't manke any panel versions of that filter, only cones for intakes.

SOM
    2002 SS

I went to my local WalMart and the Fram Orange filter was $31.99 cdn. I was expecting $15 or so i would have picked it up just because I live in a new neighborhood but the K&N recharger kit which I lost was much cheaper so I decided to pick up another kit.

I will take a look at the MAF tomorrow and put some pics up. Im the meantime I'm off to my favourite website..

..Just kidding.. just wanted to use that smilie lol

SOM
    2002 SS

Also just wanted to mention that K&Ns do NOT void manufacturer warranties. I am guessing that they must meet some sort of a filtering standard ? I mean if they are as bad as some say, why cant Manufacturers flat out say No high flow air filters?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Also just wanted to mention that K&Ns do NOT void manufacturer warranties. I am guessing that they must meet some sort of a filtering standard ? I mean if they are as bad as some say, why cant Manufacturers flat out say No high flow air filters?
    The filter itself won't void the warranty. However, if your MAF gets ruined as a result of oil from your K&N filter, you can bet its not going to be covered under warranty, and rightfully so.

SOM
    2002 SS

Must be some grey area that allows K&N to be able to not have Vehicle warranties get voided by their use.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I clean the MAF's everytime I clean and oil the filters anyway so it's really not an issue.
    I've never had an MAF that was dirty enough that I could see it though, and haven't noticed any oil residue on it. But it's simple enough to spray it off with cleaner. Somethine everyone should be doing as general maintainance anyway.
    Can I ask what you use to clean the MAF? I know mine is dirty, but that is more from a crack in my air lid than from the K&N filter.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dragon View Post
    Can I ask what you use to clean the MAF? I know mine is dirty, but that is more from a crack in my air lid than from the K&N filter.
    CRC makes a MAF cleaner that you can get at any autoparts store.

What Orion mentioned is what I use. Simply spray it off, let it air dry and reinstall. Takes a whole 2 minutes.

Most of the oiled MAF's I've seen with other cars are simply too much oil on the filter to begin with. It's either bleeding through the filter, or someone oiled both sides,,,,yes I've seen that too,,,,lol. It really doesn't take much oil on the filter. Very light coat that shows some color soaked into the gauze and that's about it.
    I can honestly say I've never in all the years I've run K&N's, have never had an MAF issue, car sputtering, hesitating etc.....due to an oily MAF. I simply clean it anyway as part of regular maintainance. They tend to get dirty and need a cleaning even with the paper filtered cars I've seen.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Same one I use, works great and simple to use.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I remember the first time I used my CRC MAF cleaner. The stuff came out of the MAF looking like grey water.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Thanks. I'll be picking up some.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

OP your photos illustrate exactly why I opted not to do the FRA mod.

And if you can't find the CRC stuff any electronic parts cleaner will work just as well....

Indigo Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS6

How does an Amsoil air filter compare to others?

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I've never had a problem with my K&N. I was instructed back at 16yrs old to clean and oil it then put a paper filter in for a few days to let the k&N sit and dry to keep from sucking the oil back.. Since my T/A isn't a daily car it's pretty easy to clean and let it sit out for 48 hrs or so before reinstalling.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have been told after oiling a K&N to wrap it in newspaper to let the newspaper soak up the remaining oil.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

i have the free ram air mod also and after 1 week of doing the mod i checked my filter and it was dirty with bigger chunks of bugs and little rocks...what i did was took a chunk of home screen repair and cut a chunk of it to line my airbox tray. this way the bigger chunks and stuff are deflected from the screen and allows the filter to do a more thorough job without clogging up with bigger chunks

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Paper filter > that.
    This.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

To the OP. The back of the air filter stays clean for the same reason the front gets dirty. Airflow. Air pushes at the front of the filter and pulls at the back.
    Not sure what stores you have in your area, but a Microgard at O reillys is about $10 here and is made by Purolator. You might want to try one of those if available.

Post Nanofiber

Quote Originally Posted by artie634u View Post
    How does an Amsoil air filter compare to others?
    If you'd like more information on the Amsoil air filter, click on THIS LINK.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information