Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar

Longtubes vs. Shorty's

Hi guys,
    I was just wondering if i could get all of your input on the performance gains between longtube and shorty headers.....if i could get all of your past experiences with both styles of headers and which ones you liked the best would be great...once again thanx a lot
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I was just wondering if i could get all of your input on the performance gains between longtube and shorty headers.....if i could get all of your past experiences with both styles of headers and which ones you liked the best would be great...once again thanx a lot
    HE MEANS ON A 93-97 LT1. CONSIDERING THAT YOU HAVE TO WELD, RELOCATE THE CATS AND OR BUY NEW ONES. I stated that it was not worth the extra money to install the long tubes and the cats. you could use the money for a better mod. HE SAID AND I QUOTE "1-3rwhp huh?, god your a fucking moron...try more like 20rwhp "

now would there be a 20rwhp deference between shorty's and long tubes on an lt1????
    Click for full size

Go longtube if you can. Better power available.

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

but what? 20 extra rwhp vs. shortys??? if money is not a problem then go for it sure. but i would rather spend my money on other mods that make more bang for the buck!

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

for the money you will spend on mid-tubes, you would be better off getting LT's. the gains are slightly more w/LT
    s over mids...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    for the money you will spend on mid-tubes, you would be better off getting LT's. the gains are slightly more w/LT
    s over mids...
    but 20rwhp???? that sounds ridiculous right?

probably more with a good lid and intake but that LT stock.... Probably better mods out there for the money.

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    probably more with a good lid and intake but that LT stock.... Probably better mods out there for the money.
    i mean 20 more than the shortys i know form stock to lt's im talking if i took off my shortys and put long tubes on would i gain 20rwhp. not talking tune lid nothing just trading those two out

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

First off, not another one of these threads again. But I like longtubes. Pacesetters are good quality for a good price. I've seen shorties priced the same as the pacesetter longtubes. Those are the best bang-for-the-buck exhaust manifold replacement IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    but 20rwhp???? that sounds ridiculous right?
    the only one who sounds ridiculous here is you...your making yourself look like an idiot, why you causing problems on this thread too?

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Longtubes will give you alot better performance, especially if you get a cam in the future... You need your motor to breathe better.

sooo does anyone know what the hp gains are with putting longtube headers on our 4th gens?? also what is the hp gains of shorty's?? and the horsepower difference between the both?? thanks

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

my friend laid down 33 extra horses with KOOKS on his 01 SS

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    my friend laid down 33 extra horses with KOOKS on his 01 SS
    That sounds about right. Was that with a tune? I've heard numerous people claim 30+rwhp with LT's and a tune for the headers.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

Why in the world would anyone get shorties instead of longtubes? Doesn't make much sense to me. LT's are a investment mod because in the future of a modded car they really shine. The only reason (s) i would think some1 might get shorties is if they wanted to keep the car stock, didnt feel like installing lt's, or couldn't afford lt's. But as previously stated, shorties can sometimes be just as costly. LT"s all the way!

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Shit, here's a sticky at the top of the forum that is overlooked by many. Should answer everyone's questions.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5609

HE MEANS ON A 93-97 LT1. CONSIDERING THAT YOU HAVE TO WELD, RELOCATE THE CATS AND OR BUY NEW ONES. I stated that it was not worth the extra money to install the long tubes and the cats. you could use the money for a better mod. HE SAID AND I QUOTE "1-3rwhp huh?, god your a fucking moron...try more like 20rwhp "

now would there be a 20rwhp deference between shorty's and long tubes on an lt1????
    dont u feel stupid??

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

dont u feel stupid??
    lol nope. you just made my day! you put 8k in mods and your not fast. i dont car about your car at all you started talking shit in the last thread and made one just to try and prove me wrong. btw you had no proof just two people thet said they like them more. hope your happy.

lol nope. you just made my day! you put 8k in mods and your not fast. i dont car about your car at all you started talking shit in the last thread and made one just to try and prove me wrong. btw you had no proof just two people thet said they like them more. hope your happy.
    lol, well i started the right way with bolt ons...considering i pay for college, two cars, insurance and am only 20....ur right i didnt have 8k in up front to build a stroker or anything...but since i got all the lil things...all i got left to do is the big things....ill have a nitrous setup real soon...then rear end and h/c...sooo yeah ur faster, never said u weren't...its funny how childish u are doing the whole " ooo im faster thing" cause thats all u got....doesnt change the fact that ur a moron and have shorty headers on your car thats preventing it from perfroming its full potential especially that ur whole valvetrain is redone....

black
    '99 T/A

lol, well i started the right way with bolt ons...considering i pay for college, two cars, insurance and am only 20....ur right i didnt have 8k in up front to build a stroker or anything...but since i got all the lil things...all i got left to do is the big things....ill have a nitrous setup real soon...then rear end and h/c...sooo yeah ur faster, never said u weren't...its funny how childish u are doing the whole " ooo im faster thing" cause thats all u got....doesnt change the fact that ur a moron and have shorty headers on your car thats preventing it from perfroming its full potential especially that ur whole valvetrain is redone....
    well said. longtube headers are the way to go, especially if you plan on making any real power in the end.

Thread Information