longtubes and no cats...what muffler?

kooks longtubes kooks ory and no cats, on a 02 Firehawk

Ive been through a number of mufflers/catbacks and none seem to get me a sound that im looking for. So Im wondering if anyone out there has an exhaust (not true duals) on a LS1 F-body with longtubes and no cats what muffler are you using and do you like the sound?
    I know true duals with a H pipe would probably give me the sound I want but my car is lowered and when I had true duals on there I had a lot of problems with the car bottoming out and the pipe going over the axle on the driver side hiting the panhard bar.
    What im really looking for is that deep muscle car sound, you know so it sounds like a boat. I want to step on the gas and I want it to sound like thunder. The sound of a muscle car is really important and I just cant seem to find a combo thats right.

Right now I have a dynomax ultraflow and tho its sounds ok driving around on side streets on the highway you cant even tell I have an exhaust.

I had a gmmg before this and the gmmg was good at idle but when I opened her up the sound wasnt what I like, it was to choppy and not like a constant roar.

before that I hade true duels with chamberd mufflers, that sounded like the gmmg but I mainly got rid of that because I had major clearance problems.

and before that I had the slp LM but with no cats and longtubes that had to go because it just sounded like crap.

Anyone have any suggestions at all?

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Have you tried the LM2? It takes the high pitch rasp and gurgle with the popping out. I plan on going Kooks with high flow catted y-pipe with my LM2. I wish I new what it would sound like before hand but I don't. It's gotta be a deeper rumble than I have now. I have shorties with stock cats now.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Personally, I don't think either LM sounds good with LT's and no cats. The hooker does a pretty good job of taking the rasp out of an offroad pipe, and sounds good on this kind of a setup.

green for meow
    '96 ws6 formula

get a chamber muffler... I don't know why everyone likes these straight through mufflers... They're just raspy and loud...

get something that sounds good...

borla, bassanni, hooker,
    or even flows

go chambered... they sound lots better

Quote Originally Posted by GREG@94GT
    get a chamber muffler... I don't know why everyone likes these straight through mufflers... They're just raspy and loud...

get something that sounds good...

borla, bassanni, hooker,
    or even flows

go chambered... they sound lots better
    I was thinking of flowmaster... what specific model would you recommend for my car?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

no flowmaster. there crap. i would go hooker. sounds awesome with your setup.

green for meow
    '96 ws6 formula

Quote Originally Posted by ~Firehawk~
    I was thinking of flowmaster... what specific model would you recommend for my car?
    they are not crap...

neighbor has a 69 roadrunner... 440... flows... nicest sounding car I ever heard...

I know of a few people who have switched from SLP to flows...

chambered muffs sound the best... whats nice about flows is they're more affordable then borla, etc...

I recomend Original 40 series... dont let others tell ya they suck... they're great mufflers and they sound a hell of alot better then slp or other straight through muffs

oh yeh... hookers sound great too

they are not crap...

neighbor has a 69 roadrunner... 440... flows... nicest sounding car I ever heard...

chambered muffs sound the best... whats nice about flows is they're more affordable then borla, etc...

I recomend Original 40 series... dont let others tell ya they suck... they're great mufflers and they sound a hell of alot better then slp or other straight through muffs

I agree with you, everyone says that flows suck but I belive thats only the 80 series cross flows. The 40 series are not very restrictive at all, just nobody uses them on late model f-body's. I am going to give it a shot. Hey using some logic here, many other platforms swear by flowmasters and even guys who have highly modded cars that race on the track and are trying to squeeze every hp out of there ride use flows. besides, losing 1-2 hp to get much better sound seems like not a big loss when your car sounds sick.

Black
    98 Trans Am

they are not crap...

The chokemaster doesn't flow well at all. My friend with a reverse split cam loses 35 rwhp when he closes his cutout, dyno proven. Flowmasters aren't that bad on a car with true duals like a mustang, because there are 2 mufflers and 2 pipes as opposed to one and therefore don't create the bottleneck that they do on a single exhaust LS1. When I upgrade the exhaust on my car I'm looking for sound AND performance. The flowmaster flows a TINY bit better than the stock exhaust, unless your car came with the SLP DD. When you do more mods to your car, the flowmaster will fast become a bottleneck. I'd rather stick a cork in my tailpipe!

silver
    2000 Audi S4

Check out the cat back system from Corsa. In my opinion the corsa system sounds great but again thats just me. Check out the sound clips on ls1sounds.com. Its not as good as hearing the real thing but it can give you some idea as to the way the different brands sound.

maroon
    2000 Camaro

I have a flowmaster with JETHOT LT's, JETHOT OFY, and no cats. Just had it installed about a month ago. I tell you I don't like the sound of the flowmaster in the upper-mid range (4000 RPM to 5500 RPM). Idle sounds good and wide open sounds good. The only thing is I don't know what series the Flowmaster on my ride is. I plan on trying a a different muffler on it until I find what I want. I was told by the guy that dyno tuned my car that flowtech or magnaflow has a good sounding muffler that compliments the style exhaust that I have and it sounds like you have kinda the same exhaust setup. He also told me Flowmaster is restrictive compared to the flowtech or magnaflow. The problem I have is that my cat-back system was custom made by a friend of mine so I plan on changing just the muffler because its cheaper and if I don't like it I can change it without a big hassle. If you have any questions you can PM me if you like. Later

if its a crossflow muffler its an 80 series. I am going to try a super 40 and see what happens.

pewter
    1999 pontiac formula

I'm running the stock exhaust with my LT's and uncatted y.
    It's quiet but I have a cut out and I'm running 12's with a best of
    12.59 so I don't think its hurting performance.

green for meow
    '96 ws6 formula

Quote Originally Posted by SLOW346
    The chokemaster doesn't flow well at all. My friend with a reverse split cam loses 35 rwhp when he closes his cutout, dyno proven. Flowmasters aren't that bad on a car with true duals like a mustang, because there are 2 mufflers and 2 pipes as opposed to one and therefore don't create the bottleneck that they do on a single exhaust LS1. When I upgrade the exhaust on my car I'm looking for sound AND performance. The flowmaster flows a TINY bit better than the stock exhaust, unless your car came with the SLP DD. When you do more mods to your car, the flowmaster will fast become a bottleneck. I'd rather stick a cork in my tailpipe!
    well... that is true...

That is the reason that race cars run straight pipes...

ls1's put out alot of power stock... too bad alot of those were mage in mexico/canadia... lmao... but anyway... you probably are right...

those ypipe suck... and a straight through muff has lots less restriction than a chambered... but chamber still sound better IMPO...

Pewter
    99 TransAm

Here's food for thought. I work closely with Stainless Works, I was the test for their headers. We went 3.5" exhaust after the y-pipe with a straight through muffler. Rasp was terrible, so we put bullets where the cats normally go and rasp is gone. Another choice for rasp is a bullet in the i-pipe.
    99' T/A M6
    433hp 405tq
    12.41 @119 on a 2.14 60'
    http://www.geocities.com/viper99ta@s...?1151262200545

Thread Information