Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

longtube headers w/o tune= promblems? help please!!

This is a discussion on longtube headers w/o tune= promblems? help please!! within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by hutch1999 Im untuned but im also runnin super rich. i bet your car would spit flames with ...

Pewter
    2000 WS.6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    Im untuned but im also runnin super rich.
    i bet your car would spit flames with a cutout :P

Pewter
    2000 WS.6 T/A

you might also want to think about whether or not you plan on anything else mod wise before you get your motor tuned- tunes aren't necessarily cheap- i would probably wait and deal with the SES light for a while, and get some more work done in the meanwhile

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^ agreed with that. I plan on LTs,cam,heads all at 1 time and a tune.

This is a good point as well. Tunes are not cheap,,,and going back each time you change something adds up as well. I have seen quotes on here mentioned that some people pay as much as $300-$400 for a tune and even more. Then going back for touch up work can be another $50-$100 or more each time.

Hell when you think about that you may as well just buy your own tuning software for $500 and be done with it. Then you can tune yourself as many times as you like at the convenience of your own home. Not to mention the many other advantages as well.

I think before long,,,,with tuning software as cheap as it is,,,,these tuners are going to price themselves out of business.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    This is a good point as well. Tunes are not cheap,,,and going back each time you change something adds up as well. I have seen quotes on here mentioned that some people pay as much as $300-$400 for a tune and even more. Then going back for touch up work can be another $50-$100 or more each time.

Hell when you think about that you may as well just buy your own tuning software for $500 and be done with it. Then you can tune yourself as many times as you like at the convenience of your own home. Not to mention the many other advantages as well.

I think before long,,,,with tuning software as cheap as it is,,,,these tuners are going to price themselves out of business.
    Yea, but some shops let you come back for a pretty cheap retune if you need it. If you get your own tuning software, you obviously need to know how to use it and are you also going to have a dyno installed in ur garage?

I didn't know that tuning software is cheap! They're pricks to charge $100 just so the software can be used on a car

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    Yea, but some shops let you come back for a pretty cheap retune if you need it. If you get your own tuning software, you obviously need to know how to use it and are you also going to have a dyno installed in ur garage?

I didn't know that tuning software is cheap! They're pricks to charge $100 just so the software can be used on a car
    You don't necessarily need a dyno. Been tuning carbed cars for years without one,,,,the track is still a very viable way to tune a car,,,and with a wide band you can get nearly spot on without the dyno.
    A chassis dyno is one thing but nothing really simulates real world driving conditions,,,that can only be done while driving the car and logging. Tuning software is great for that as well as diagnosing future problems you may have with the car. The possibilities are endless. With that said it's really a cheap modification that everyone should have. I am of the opinion that if anyone is going to own one of these computer controlled cars then software to tune, diagnose, scan, change, all the functions are a must and should be the first thing anyone should purchase for these cars. Forget about getting a cold air intake or a set of headers,,,go for the software first,,,it's the first thing I did and the best bang for the buck so far. Even after all the bolt ons I have done I still believe the software was the most benificial.

Being at the mercy of a tuner sucks,,,they lock your computer so no one else can tamper with it. If they go out of business or you move to a location where it is no longer convenient for you,,,,then your screwed.

As far as not knowing how to use it? I am the best example of that. As I mentioned, been tuning carbed cars and making a living at it for years,,,it's still my primary source of work, so jumping into computer controlled vehicles was not something I was comfortable with, still not really. But when I made the decision to purchase one of these 4 th gens a few years ago I knew tuning software was something I had to have. It was a huge learning curve for me,,,and quite frankly I hate computers anyway. But with the help from others here as well at the HPtuner website I have managed to work my way through it and actually tune the 02 SS well enough to pick up 3 tenths and 3 mph on a stocker,,,,not bad for a beginner and no dyno. You can teach an old dog new tricks,,,if I can do it,,,anyone can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information