Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

long or short tub headers??

This is a discussion on long or short tub headers?? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 99zman i also want to get shortys, i understand that you will not get all the power ...

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 99zman
    i also want to get shortys, i understand that you will not get all the power as long tubes but i find it hard to beleive that in a cam car with full bolt ons a 1 3/4 shorty will only be a 4 hp increase, i also cannot justify to spend $1300 on a set of kooks to hear them scrape on peoples drive ways and other inclines, my car is pretty low and i cant go over speed bumps as it is why would i limit my self more, i also put a ss high flow bassani y pipe with cats for $440 and what am i supposed to do with that , look at it or sell it for 1/2, ill take my chances with the shortys im not trying to get every hp from my car..
    You will gain a little more with shorty headers since you have a 99, but if you bought some stock 01-02's and compared the gain between the aftermarket, it would be very little. GM redesigned the exhaust manifolds and they flow pretty good, so if you really wanted to save some money you could find some used 01-02 manifolds. The shorty headers are designed to bolt up like stock, so your not getting any more length or scavenging like mids or long tubes. They look good though.

Mid length headers would solve the scraping issues and give a real gain.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 12-06-2005 at 01:35 PM.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SLP00blueSS
    i have a 2000 camaro ss with a M6 and i'am going to be puttin headers on it this winter but i['am not sure to use LT or ST headers?? i'am going to remove the cats and put on o2 simulators it has a flomaster catback already, also if i go with long tubes do they make a ORY for them or just ST, and ideas or combos would be a HUGE help!!!
    ORY is the off road Y and can be on any setup...it just means no cats.

I ran no cats and the sound was terrible, way too loud and abnoxious. I had a guy come up to me at a car show I was in and say, "I live a couple blocks away from the 4 way stop where you live and I can hear you punching the gas while watching t.v". Thing is I never punch it where I live, a 3400 stall converter and LT's with no cats and a Magnaflow is LOUD. Even getting the car to move is loud, since it needs to get to around 2,000 rpms to start moving and is a cop target. I put back on the cats and really love the sound now, plus ran my best 1/4 mile times with them on. My car makes the windows rattle in my house and everyone knows when I am coming or going even with cats.

Skip even thinking about Shorty headers unless you just show your car. If you want to see a real gain then LT's and if lowered Mid length headers. You may change your mind about wanting a ORY, my car was really quiet before the LT install. There are a bunch of great setups, but depends on the $ you want to spend. Dynatech supermaxx LT headers come in a complete kit, stainless steel so never rusts and all gaskets and cats and tube to put in if you don't want to run cats, but is around $1,300 and all you would need is 02 sims and a tune or handheld tuner using a dyno to get your A/F correct. A complete Mid length setup should be around $600 and would get you a nice gain within prob 10-15rwhp of the LT's. The grotty design headers seem to be the best(FLP, Kooks, dynatech) I think are simular in design.

MY FLP's

Clearance with headers installed. If you look to the right you can see a spot the Y hangs down a little. Some modifying and I could get that fixed. Since the F Body is a long car it only is a issue when going from steep incline and then flattening out.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 12-06-2005 at 02:00 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information