Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

long or short tub headers??

i have a 2000 camaro ss with a M6 and i'am going to be puttin headers on it this winter but i['am not sure to use LT or ST headers?? i'am going to remove the cats and put on o2 simulators it has a flomaster catback already, also if i go with long tubes do they make a ORY for them or just ST, and ideas or combos would be a HUGE help!!!

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Go LT or go home brother! Manifolds flow within a few ponies of the shorties so they are a waste of time and $$$$. I have Pacesetter LT, ORY, and Hooker CB and it sounds MEAN

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Get the LT! Don't even consider ST, as they are virtually the same as the stock manifolds. I don't know how much $ you plan to spend, but I'd go with stainless steel headers if I were you. They last so much longer.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

pacesetters with pacesetter y pipe.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

awesome kind of what i was thinkin but wanted to ask the guru's before i bought anything, any installations tips?? i have a hoist available, i'am sure that will help??!!??!!

Red
    2000 T/A WS6

I haven't done headers yet, but I hear they'l take around 9 hours for a first-timer. And they go in from the bottom.

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Long Tubes definately!

Headers are not hard to install, we did it with just two jackstands and two Rhino Ramps. The hardest part was disassembly of the stock exhaust system. Our PaceSetters went right in from underneath without having to disassemble the steering linkage, jacking the motor, or removal of the oil filter.

It is a good time to change plugs while you are doing it.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

LT's are the way to go. Hardest part is getting all the rattles to go away after they are put in. I went to a shop and had them adjust and weld up areas and is all good. Can reuse the stock header gaskets or buy some GM ones, don't use the crap aftermarket ones. I had to make air tube plates for mine since they were fluttering. If you plan on lowering it later some will need to be modified slightly to keep from scraping. I had a friend help and he did most of the work, since he had done them a few times before and took about 5 hours.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

air tube plates???? what are those??

Blue
    1976 Formula Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by SLP00blueSS
    air tube plates???? what are those??
    Its a small plate about 2'' lg. with 2 11/32 holes.
    They block off the air tubes

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

why will i want to block off the air tubes and where do i get them?? sorry to sound so ignurent about this but this is the first NON-carb car i have delt with.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

The air tubes that go into the top of the headers are about 1/2 inch tube and air is pulled through them on each side(I think to heat the cats correctly) and there is a valve with a flapper thing to keep the air going 1 way. When people add LT headers the extra pull from increased airflow causes the valve to flap and eventually burn out and it makes a ticking sound that is real annoying. If you look on headers there is a tube on each side on top of the headers that has 2 bolts with a gasket that attaches the tube. I didn't do this when I put in the LT's and had to do it later. I bought some thin metal, think I bought galvanized and used a tin snip to cut the metal the same size as the gasket, then drilled the bolt holes and a hole in the center smaller than the gasket, I can find exact size if you need, just don't remember, then I went to GM and bought 4 new gaskets and sandwiched the new piece I did between 2 gaskets and it stopped the flapping problem since it cuts the airflow down some and now I won't burn out the flaps.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

i see thanks for the input

TWISTEDTA
    700$$ later i got LT's then spent another 300+ on those... Shortys can suck my left nut! They were nothing but a waste of time/money.

GGTTOO
    What about mid-length headers. I have an '04 GTO and I hear that there are clearance issues with the LT headers offered.

black & silver
    1999 Z28

i also want to get shortys, i understand that you will not get all the power as long tubes but i find it hard to beleive that in a cam car with full bolt ons a 1 3/4 shorty will only be a 4 hp increase, i also cannot justify to spend $1300 on a set of kooks to hear them scrape on peoples drive ways and other inclines, my car is pretty low and i cant go over speed bumps as it is why would i limit my self more, i also put a ss high flow bassani y pipe with cats for $440 and what am i supposed to do with that , look at it or sell it for 1/2, ill take my chances with the shortys im not trying to get every hp from my car..

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 99zman
    i also want to get shortys, i understand that you will not get all the power as long tubes but i find it hard to beleive that in a cam car with full bolt ons a 1 3/4 shorty will only be a 4 hp increase, i also cannot justify to spend $1300 on a set of kooks to hear them scrape on peoples drive ways and other inclines, my car is pretty low and i cant go over speed bumps as it is why would i limit my self more...
    I don't know dude, our SFCs are lower than our longtubes are and IMHO SFCs are even more important than LTs...

Our car is not lowered that much though...

black & silver
    1999 Z28

i deffinatly agree sfc's are a must but if something happens to one of those its $100 down the crapper vs $1300

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 99zman
    i deffinatly agree sfc's are a must but if something happens to one of those its $100 down the crapper vs $1300
    Yeah but my point is that our BMR boxed SFCs are lower that our Long Tubes and protect the exhaust in most circumstances...

black & silver
    1999 Z28

i personally dont want anything to hit, and i dont need anything hanging more under the car and make it more limited than it already is? and spend all that money to boot

Thread Information