Red
    1999 Z28

Lid vs. Twin Cone Filters

Ok, so I have been working on this throughout the winter here, and have searched it several times. I have found a few old threads, but none seem to draw any conclusions or help much. I have been working on a twin cone intake rather than the whole box and lid route. It when finished (if finished) will be basically a volant without the outer box/shroud. I am now really wondering what would be better overall- putting the bottom part of the fctory airbox back on and then getting a lid and just using a delco filter (Not spending for a K&N) or to finish going my route with the two cone filters probably volant replacements? The twin cone route will be like $75 tops, as apposed to the lid for about $100 I believe. Anyone who has a good idea of one vs the other please chime in. I need to finsih this so I can have my car ready to come out when insurance is back on it April 1st!!

-Oh and for what its worth, I have a WS9 Outlaw hood on the car, which is a non WS6

so you can get hot engine air from 2 places under the hood ?

Red
    1999 Z28

maybe some, but when in motion the vents on the hood would be right by the filters and provide them with plenty of fresh air to suck in, am I wrong? Oh yeah, and I will be leaving all of the area around the radiator open-and the filters will be mostly over the same area that the factory airbox pulls air from, so this will still serve as a source as well. I dont know....keep it coming if possible!

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

the volant seals to the hood so hot air from the engine bay doesnt come in. unsealed hot air will come in.
    i have a volant
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

candy red
    98 Camaro Z28

So would you feel a difference from lid to going with the Volant

Red
    1999 Z28

I know the volant seels the bay out. I am just not sure, and I was wondering if having the two filters in the front, un-surrounded/sealed, would be better then, or at least as good as having a lid. They are about the same price, and price is a big factor here, so I am not going to buy a volant or other full "cold air kit." Seems that nobody likes this topic, because unfortunately I am not seeing much help.

flat black
    no actually your getting lots of help your just ignoring it....
    1. the volant seals to the underside of the hood...no engine bay heat, which is also similar to the lid...it seals to the airbox...minimal engine bay heat..

-your design though its in the same vicinity as the factory box will still get heat...think of it this way... for every 13 degrees ferenheit rise in temp under the hood you are losing about 1% power. underhood temps are easily 50 degrees warmer which means your about 13 horse down from the get go* which means whatever HP mods you make from there on are just a crutch for what your already lacking.

also you are planning to spend $75 making your own...or spend as you put it $100 on something that is proven to work...i dont know what the volant system costs or the HP benefits...i have an SLP CAI on a ported TB and i love it...

seems to me like you should either stay with what you have or wait till you have another $25 and buy a lid instead of a bunch of parts you would have to fab together...

* "Four stroke performance Tuning: A. Graham Bell 3rd Edition"

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by maverick_132 View Post
    I know the volant seels the bay out. I am just not sure, and I was wondering if having the two filters in the front, un-surrounded/sealed, would be better then, or at least as good as having a lid. They are about the same price, and price is a big factor here, so I am not going to buy a volant or other full "cold air kit." Seems that nobody likes this topic, because unfortunately I am not seeing much help.
    it has nothing to do with people liking it or not, just nobody has done what you want to.
    if $$ is a factor, get a used lid.

Red
    1999 Z28

alirghty I was not meaning to come across as negative with that last post as I did so sorry for being that way. Anyways, thanks for the final input there guys, and I have decided to just go ahead with a lid. Which is a bitch now because I want the SLP one and they are on nationwide backorder for at least another two weeks! This wouldn't be a huge inconvience, but my car will be coming out and insured as of April 1st and I have already chopped up the upper airbox assembly.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

from my understanding, the the lids of different manufacturers all do pretty much the same job. i put in a used no name lid i got here on ls1.com and it fit perfectly. made a huge difference compared to stock!

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by lrader99 View Post
    no actually your getting lots of help your just ignoring it....
    1. the volant seals to the underside of the hood...no engine bay heat, which is also similar to the lid...it seals to the airbox...minimal engine bay heat..

-your design though its in the same vicinity as the factory box will still get heat...think of it this way... for every 13 degrees ferenheit rise in temp under the hood you are losing about 1% power. underhood temps are easily 50 degrees warmer which means your about 13 horse down from the get go* which means whatever HP mods you make from there on are just a crutch for what your already lacking.

also you are planning to spend $75 making your own...or spend as you put it $100 on something that is proven to work...i dont know what the volant system costs or the HP benefits...i have an SLP CAI on a ported TB and i love it...

seems to me like you should either stay with what you have or wait till you have another $25 and buy a lid instead of a bunch of parts you would have to fab together...

* "Four stroke performance Tuning: A. Graham Bell 3rd Edition"
    He probably should be ignoring most to of the advice he's getting here ... engine bay heat is only an issue while the car is static ... in every test I've done the IAT will drop to ambient as soon as the car starts to roll with any type of intake ... from stock to an open element sealed or unealed.

The only point when engine bay heat is an issue is staging at the light ... the best fix for that is to drop the washer bottle and the shroud.

The open element filter will be every bit as effective as lid and often times more so.

Thread Information