Thread: Lid Issue

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Lid Issue

Hello all, need some advice here. I recently put on a SLP lid and bellow. The lid seems to have a good seal, but the clamps barely stay on and eventually come undone after a little driving. Anyone had this problem, got a quick fix for it?

Check that the filter is set down enough. Try it without the filter in it a bit, if it stays down try refitting/replacing the filter or trim the filter a bit.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    Check that the filter is set down enough. Try it without the filter in it a bit, if it stays down try refitting/replacing the filter or trim the filter a bit.
    I got a K&N in there filter seems ok, but the lid kind of over hangs over slightly in the front of the box. I dont know if it should do that or be exactly lined up.

Mine is a whisper lid, had the same issue with one of the clamps not staying shut when I first installed it. I pushed it hard all the way back into the tabs, then put the lip of the lid (between the clamps) inside the lip of the air box.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

check out this thread it helped out with mine. No more issues. Just make sure your fwd lip is tucked in correctly.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hlight=slp+lid
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Thanks guys for the advice! I will see if I can get it corrected.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Did you trim the bellows any? The bellows have a tendency to cause the lid to not seat correctly, they usually need trimming.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

those lids don't have a good design for the clamps. Mine hold fine for now but I am waiting for them to fall off one of these days. If they do I will probably file the plastic down in the spots under the clamps and hope that works.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Did you trim the bellows any? The bellows have a tendency to cause the lid to not seat correctly, they usually need trimming.
    Not a bad idea. I might try that if I cant get it to adjust any. I put the bellow as far as aI could on the intake, but the lid still sits forward more than I think it should which is the main cause of the problem. If i do decide to trim it, what should I use to not mess it up?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TX02TRANSAM View Post
    Not a bad idea. I might try that if I cant get it to adjust any. I put the bellow as far as aI could on the intake, but the lid still sits forward more than I think it should which is the main cause of the problem. If i do decide to trim it, what should I use to not mess it up?

Razor blade, knife, exacto knife, any will work.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

i've never had a problem with mine. just make sure the lid is all the way back into those 4 tabs as it can go...like actually get at a horizontal angle and push it back. but i'm also not using the slp bellows, that may make it stick out farther than the stock one.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415 View Post
    i've never had a problem with mine. just make sure the lid is all the way back into those 4 tabs as it can go...like actually get at a horizontal angle and push it back. but i'm also not using the slp bellows, that may make it stick out farther than the stock one.
    Yeah, at first I just bought the SLP lid and put that on, no problem at all. Then I bought the bellow and added it on, and that is when I noticed it really made a difference because no flexibility in the bellow. I am gonna tinker with it this weekend. It would not push into the tabs all the way and I am gonna adjust the bellow, see if I can either get it more on the intake or the MAF to let it move farther back. Ill post up after failure or sucess!

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Mine is a whisper lid, had the same issue with one of the clamps not staying shut when I first installed it. I pushed it hard all the way back into the tabs, then put the lip of the lid (between the clamps) inside the lip of the air box.
    Just got a whisper lid, same problems, but the lip is the same size of the air box lip in front, how did you get it inside the lip of air box??

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

i put a slp lid on my car with a k&n filter and i have the same problem- to the extent of its hitting my hood and there is a mark on my lid and hood from it wearing. I did notice that my clips would pop off with my original lid too though. I just try to keep checking to see if they have popped off.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Well I got it to sit right finally. I just had to really jam the bellow as far ad I could onto the intake, and tighten it down good. The back of the lid tabs sit in the spots good and the front of the lid is tucked inside the lip of the airbox. Thanks for the advice!

Thread Information