Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Is a lid and filter worth it?

This is a discussion on Is a lid and filter worth it? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; what is SFC?...

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

what is SFC?

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by getcha01 View Post
    Okay guys I am so confused with this cold air induction thing...I have a 01 WS6 M6, with the aluminum driveshaft and 3:42 gears and I got my car completely stock at 100,000 mi, my airbox doesnt look like that at all....and from the other sites I have read on, the true WS6 for my year with the ram air is a cold air induction system....Ive heard the cold air induction systems couldnt be used on my car, because it already has the same thing from the factory....my stock box has a openening right in bottom/front, and goes up into the filter....my ram air goes in through the grates in front,hits a baffle that directs it down, then back straight into that opening in my air box...I bought a SLP lid since it has no baffles and a MAC high flow filter....so why does that picture of that WS6 look like a different airbox?...and can you get a cold air induction kit for a 01 WS6?....how much colder can it get?...from the factory its just a straight shot in....
    WOW, Way to revive a very old thread!!!

Anyways, Lets see some pics and we'll be able to tell you what's up.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gershman View Post
    what is SFC?
    SFC = Sub Frame Connectors

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

You guys were talking about the violent CA kit a while back. I have heard they do flow a bit better than the lid style. Might add about 5 flywheel ponies. I personally have the SLP CAI and when I purchased it I was concerned about water getting in the filter when it was raining. Since I do have the RA hood. They do look neat though

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    WOW, Way to revive a very old thread!!!

Anyways, Lets see some pics and we'll be able to tell you what's up.
    I'll have my girlfriend post pics of it on here, I dont know how to do all that crap.....I called jegs to order that CAI when I first got my car and he took my year make,model ect......and asked me if it was a real ram air and I said yes, and he said they dont make cold air kits for mine, that mine is already factory cold air.....it looks like from the pics I seen of that cutout mod photo, that my airlid and everything is just about 3 inches higher....my lid sits about 4 or 5 inches higher than my intake even does...I was told its never been modded, carfact report showed just 2 owners b4 I got it, and it has 112,000mi, and it went 13.14 my first run 3 weeks ago in it, I couldnt believe it......it had stock everything on it still, not even catback or new tips or anything...I put SLP lid and mac filter, msd wires, and hooker muffler and thats what it ran on first pass, then my tranny messed up and its not even drivable now
    Last edited by getcha01; 10-10-2008 at 06:20 PM.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by getcha01 View Post
    I'll have my girlfriend post pics of it on here, I dont know how to do all that crap.....I called jegs to order that CAI when I first got my car and he took my year make,model ect......and asked me if it was a real ram air and I said yes, and he said they dont make cold air kits for mine, that mine is already factory cold air.....it looks like from the pics I seen of that cutout mod photo, that my airlid and everything is just about 3 inches higher....my lid sits about 4 or 5 inches higher than my intake even does...I was told its never been modded, carfact report showed just 2 owners b4 I got it, and it has 112,000mi, and it went 13.14 my first run 3 weeks ago in it, I couldnt believe it......it had stock everything on it still, not even catback or new tips or anything...I put SLP lid and mac filter, msd wires, and hooker muffler and thats what it ran on first pass, then my tranny messed up and its not even drivable now
    Well, if you're referring to the pics that I posted, those aren't from a WS6 "ram air" TA. It's from just a regular TA. That's why the opening is smaller than yours.

The CAI kit that is made for these vehicles will work on both the non WS6 and WS6 models. The area that it gets installed is exactly the same between the two.

One mod that you can do is to remove the baffles in your hood to allow better ariflow. There are rightups on this site, just do a search for it. You could also do the "free ram air" mod if you want to. I've read many owners with WS6 TA's state that is does make a difference.

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    Well, if you're referring to the pics that I posted, those aren't from a WS6 "ram air" TA. It's from just a regular TA. That's why the opening is smaller than yours.

The CAI kit that is made for these vehicles will work on both the non WS6 and WS6 models. The area that it gets installed is exactly the same between the two.

One mod that you can do is to remove the baffles in your hood to allow better ariflow. There are rightups on this site, just do a search for it. You could also do the "free ram air" mod if you want to. I've read many owners with WS6 TA's state that is does make a difference.
    Yea I know about the free ram air and the baffle in the hood and all, but I just thought that old thread was saying there is a different cold air system or something I can get for my car, I dont want to take the baffle out though, I was reading in a gm high tech magazine about that, and the baffle actually makes the air force in harder somehow, gm put it there to get the air in faster, most people think its there to stop water and stuff, but I read they added it to force it in faster, the air hits it,and goes up and then back down into the filter at a faster rate, than if there was no baffle.....I dont think I will mess with it, how do the SS have factory ram air?....I didnt think their hoods were functional, and isnt the ram air the only reason the WS6 and SS have 15 more hp over the z28 and the t/a or is it from the LS6 intake?

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

I just figured I would point one thing out while this thread is back... I did things backwards on my car as far as modding goes... mostly because I ran into a deal with exhaust and no intake.

Anyways, I did LT's ORY Cat-Back first and no intake mods... I went for some tuning and my car was running completely short of air... by 5000rpms my car was starving... just lets you know how restrictive stock air induction is!

In anycase I checked out my lid and filter I started collapsing my paper filter from the negative pressure, to anyone that thinks that a K&N filter doesn't flow much better then an equivelant sized paper you have to pull your head out of your ass ... I still have the filter to prove it

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

i did the free ram air mod about a month ago and ive noticed it does have slightly better throttle response and also runs cooler(temp wise). before i did it my needle on my temp gauge was just a hair under 210 at all times and would fluxuate higher if stopped at a light/stop sign w/windows up and A/C on full blast. now ive noticed there is actually some "black" between my needle and the "210" mark on my temp gauge and also it has yet to rise(fluctuate) hotter, even with windows up and A/C on full blast.

btw-as far as intake mods i have VERY minimal. minimal being k and n filter and STOCK lid.

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I have a question that has been bothering me for a few weeks....what is an ORY?...I dont see anything in magazines about ory's anywhere, I know the Y is for Y pipe but what is the OR for?...I always thought it would be like aftermarket Y pipe or AYP lol..........

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

ORY- Off Road Y-Pipe

for the OP, getting the Lid and filter done first is a great idea, then go ahead and do the free mods. I went straight to autozone after i bought my car and bought a K&N filter so i can't really tell you if they make a difference or not. But i can tell you that it's the last filter i'll have to buy for that car for a long time. Not to long ago i installed a lid and the SSRA kit and noticed the gains. So if you're looking to get the air in smoother, colder, and faster, then i'de recommend the filter, lid, and either the FTRA or the SSRA kits.

A trained professional volleybill's Avatar

Black
    2001 Z28

ORY = Off Road Y-pipe- no catalytic converters, not emission compliant-

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

2 Questions..

The lid i have now came with the car, i got the full slp package.. it says SLP in the middle and on the bottom right corner ''Blackwing'' And is this the type lid that sucks? I have a k&n filter.Or do i not need the one that is 100 bucks.

On the lids you can buy, you can get the 98-00 that doesnt have a smog hose connter, and i hav e a 02 ss, and it does have 1. Now that isnt a problem, bc i can put a filter on the end of the hose. And they sell the 01-02 lids. That have the hose spot. Will the one that doesnt need a hose still fit?

Thanks
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    ORY- Off Road Y-Pipe

for the OP, getting the Lid and filter done first is a great idea, then go ahead and do the free mods. I went straight to autozone after i bought my car and bought a K&N filter so i can't really tell you if they make a difference or not. But i can tell you that it's the last filter i'll have to buy for that car for a long time. Not to long ago i installed a lid and the SSRA kit and noticed the gains. So if you're looking to get the air in smoother, colder, and faster, then i'de recommend the filter, lid, and either the FTRA or the SSRA kits.
    yea I just got the car about 2 months ago and it was all stock factory ram air with hurst shifter and 6 speed...I put a filter and slp lid on right away, then I had a hooker muffler installed in place of the stock one, then I put MSD spark plug wires on....I ran 13.08 on my first pass at the track, then my tranny started not going into 3rd so I never got a good run after that...im shipping the tranny out soon to be rebuilt and im putting a goood clutch in....I have to get emmisions done but I am putting headers on while tranny is out and I would really like to get a ORY but I either need cats on it still to pass emmisions, or I heard I can not run cats and have my back 02 sensors deleted by tuning and I woud be okay

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

what about getting the volant over the lid?

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

omg this is an old thread.

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

haha my bad, i didnt even know.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information