Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Is a lid and filter worth it?

This is a discussion on Is a lid and filter worth it? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Think about it since its not sealed at the slot where you cut plastic out the the air coming through ...

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Think about it since its not sealed at the slot where you cut plastic out the the air coming through just hits the bottom of the filter and doesnt go through a sealed air box so the free ram air mod is kinda void in that setup.

'01 Formula and '89 WS6 Outlaw40's Avatar

Navy Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

yea, it seems like someone wasn't thinking when they designed it, i don't have ram air so i cant say one way or another. if you think about it, it should increase airflow so I'd imagine you'd see some power gain

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw40 View Post
    yea, it seems like someone wasn't thinking when they designed it, i don't have ram air so i cant say one way or another. if you think about it, it should increase airflow so I'd imagine you'd see some power gain

I did the free ram air mod recently. And people will say it's pointless and it's not a noticeable difference, but I'm telling you, as for my car, it's noticeable. I could tell the first time I started her up that she was breathing better. Cam Roll is more noticeable. And the first drive felt like it did when I test drove her, threw me into my seat harder than usual. Let me know if you would like pictures of what I did.

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    I did the free ram air mod recently. And people will say it's pointless and it's not a noticeable difference, but I'm telling you, as for my car, it's noticeable. I could tell the first time I started her up that she was breathing better. Cam Roll is more noticeable. And the first drive felt like it did when I test drove her, threw me into my seat harder than usual. Let me know if you would like pictures of what I did.
    please....

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

+1 everyone's car is different, but if you haven't done it then you'll never know, and your speculation equals crap. If you've done it and did not see gains, I'm sorry but please don't tell me about 'my' car's reaction to it. I've noticed it idles smoother. I've also noticed throttle response is better.

Silver
    Pontiac Trans Am 1998 LS1

Hi just a little question.

which one should i buy?
    or ist number 2 just a combination od number 1

number 1:
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

number 2:

can you tell me which one is better.

thanks

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Looks like they are all 3 different items. You will get the most benefit from the lid and cold air kit. The mass airflow won't do much if anything to a stock engine. You have a stock TA, right, not a WS6? If you had a WS6/WS6 style hood and raised airbox to mate with the hood, all you need then is the lid.

Silver
    Pontiac Trans Am 1998 LS1

you're right i have the normal trans am nopt the ws6

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

OK Here are the pics. They were an after thought so I layed the parts I cut off on there so you get an idea. The screwdriver is there to show how little the gap already there is, so I removed some excess. Sorry if they are blurry.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

I also opened up the front a little bit. Don't know if it helped much, but I figured, Why the hell not?!

Oh, and all these pictures were taken by my Cell Phone. Actually a Pocket PC. I'm not steady with it, that's why they're a little blurry. It's the Cingular 8125. It can take up to 7000 pictures with the 2gb expansion card. Sorry, had to brag a lil.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I also opened up the front a little bit. Don't know if it helped much, but I figured, Why the hell not?!

Oh, and all these pictures were taken by my Cell Phone. Actually a Pocket PC. I'm not steady with it, that's why they're a little blurry. It's the Cingular 8125. It can take up to 7000 pictures with the 2gb expansion card. Sorry, had to brag a lil.
    Man those pictures SUCK! So blurry! Actually, j/k, they will help this thread. LOL, had to nail you because you were already apologizing for the photo quality.

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Seems like every one does the ram-air mod and has good reviews. I am going to try it this weekend. I have to work on my stereo this weekend, so maybe I might not get to it. But looks good. It's free, so why not. I am waiting a couple of months before I get the Volant intake. I've spent so much $$ this month.

Thanks for the pics!

Black

I hadn't thought of cutting the front of the box like that, not a bad idea I'll have to look at mine and see if I'll do the same later.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by sharptransam View Post
    I hadn't thought of cutting the front of the box like that, not a bad idea I'll have to look at mine and see if I'll do the same later.
    I did the front because the K&N is so thin. When you're looking at it, be sure to have your filter on there to see if you can take any off, and how much. Be conservative, the lid has to have a sturdy clamping area. Unless you want to wrap the thing in duck tape.

Navy Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

looks good, do you think i'll notice a differance with a formula hood?

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw40 View Post
    looks good, do you think i'll notice a differance with a formula hood?
    You should.

Black

I have a k&n also. Always liked those filters.

Navy Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

only experience with K&N is on our boat motors, no problems with them, see to be a good product

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Only thing about the K&N is, make sure they're not over oiled from the factory. My engine started throwing codes and it took the mechanic forever to figure out it was the MAF. Pain in the Go figure.

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 1TA LS1 View Post
    Seems like every one does the ram-air mod and has good reviews. I am going to try it this weekend. I have to work on my stereo this weekend, so maybe I might not get to it. But looks good. It's free, so why not. I am waiting a couple of months before I get the Volant intake. I've spent so much $$ this month.

Thanks for the pics!
    Okay guys I am so confused with this cold air induction thing...I have a 01 WS6 M6, with the aluminum driveshaft and 3:42 gears and I got my car completely stock at 100,000 mi, my airbox doesnt look like that at all....and from the other sites I have read on, the true WS6 for my year with the ram air is a cold air induction system....Ive heard the cold air induction systems couldnt be used on my car, because it already has the same thing from the factory....my stock box has a openening right in bottom/front, and goes up into the filter....my ram air goes in through the grates in front,hits a baffle that directs it down, then back straight into that opening in my air box...I bought a SLP lid since it has no baffles and a MAC high flow filter....so why does that picture of that WS6 look like a different airbox?...and can you get a cold air induction kit for a 01 WS6?....how much colder can it get?...from the factory its just a straight shot in....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information