Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LID

This is a discussion on LID within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by basballny2 if i did it over again id go with the volant, right now i have the ...

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    if i did it over again id go with the volant, right now i have the SLP CAI
    I have never regretted going with Volant, it was worth every lil extra bit, but that follows my ways of modding. I'll save up for something that is a lil spendier if it is worth it, but for no difference, i will cut corners... With the lid/intake i didn't want to cheap out, that's why im gonna go with a fast 90/90 over just a ls6, and also kooks 1 7/8 over say some pacesetters...

Red
    2001 ws6

i think the price is about the same, i think the volant is 10 bucks more but i just like the way the volant looks, i think when you compare the 2 however, neither one is going to win you a race, its 3-5hp either way i think, somewhere there was someone who dynoed both on a stock TA, i forget what the numbers were tho

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    imo volant will get more gains than the true ram air mod . . . i got no proof tho
    Sounds like an interesting bet.

By true ram air what I meant was the JAAM ram air mod, not just the hood debaffle. I'll give you credit the Volant has more surface area with the cone filters, you'll probably make more power at lower speeds, good for autocross, 1/8th mile, and daily drivers and but I think the true ram air with a JAAM plate will really start to shine when you hit 40+ mph and be insane at 100+. The faster you go the more powerful your engine becomes.

Check out this chart posted up on the FTP Performance website:

FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissm View Post
    Well,iIhaven't been on here for a week or so but after doing some research I think i'm going with the Volant CAI. The only thing i question is their website shows 11 hp gain compared to the 15-20 hp gain i've seen people claiming. Even if this set-up only gives me 11 hp, there isn't a lid that can compare to the looks. Thanks for all the input guys.
    As far as looks go, have you seen the lids on thecheckeredflagstore website? Much nicer looking than the CAI.

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    I have never regretted going with Volant, it was worth every lil extra bit, but that follows my ways of modding. I'll save up for something that is a lil spendier if it is worth it, but for no difference, i will cut corners... With the lid/intake i didn't want to cheap out, that's why im gonna go with a fast 90/90 over just a ls6, and also kooks 1 7/8 over say some pacesetters...
    Its FAST 92/92, get it right people FAST doesn't make the 90 anymore.

Great choice on headers, I've got those with JetHot coating, great fit and the pipes measure true.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post

By true ram air what I meant was the JAAM ram air mod, not just the hood debaffle. I'll give you credit the Volant has more surface area with the cone filters, you'll probably make more power at lower speeds, good for autocross, 1/8th mile, and daily drivers and but I think the true ram air with a JAAM plate will really start to shine when you hit 40+ mph and be insane at 100+. The faster you go the more powerful your engine becomes.

Click for full size
    OK id like to see how that test was done..... I could make something look better than that with MSPaint, but even so, both are getting the same amount of air coming through the nostrils.... both seal it up so it cant go anywhere..... so therefore even if those pressures are correct, volant will be the same.....
    Its FAST 92/92, get it right people FAST doesn't make the 90 anymore.

Great choice on headers, I've got those with JetHot coating, great fit and the pipes measure true.
    Ok im going with a fast 90 90....... dont get me wrong, i know they dont make the 90 any more blah blah blah, i have a 90mm wet plate nitrous kit, so i need the fast 90..... follow?

OK id like to see how that test was done..... I could make something look better than that with MSPaint, but even so, both are getting the same amount of air coming through the nostrils.... both seal it up so it cant go anywhere..... so therefore even if those pressures are correct, volant will be the same.....

Ok im going with a fast 90 90....... dont get me wrong, i know they dont make the 90 any more blah blah blah, i have a 90mm wet plate nitrous kit, so i need the fast 90..... follow?
    My bad on the FAST you didn't mention you had a plate kit, good luck finding a discontinued intake. If your plate is a before the TB type you should be able to install it on the 92 anyway at the bellow. If not it may actually be worth your while to modify your plate kit into a 92 to accept the newer intake. The gains in 92 compared to the 90 are negligible but the functionality of the 92 TB is far superior to that of the 90. The 90 has a lot of issues, take my word for it I have one.

If the Volant seals on the edges then you're right about the intake pressures and Volant will be better. Still preffer the look of the checkeredflagstore lids though, can't get better looking than those.

As far as your comments on the chart I posted go, I can tell you don't believe me so here's the URL:

http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...044b68e99b256c
    Last edited by RedVertTA; 01-29-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Red
    2001 ws6

suade, if you need the 90/90 ws6store.com still has some for sale

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    suade, if you need the 90/90 ws6store.com still has some for sale
    i got a guy holding a used one for me for 600 bucks

i got a guy holding a used one for me for 600 bucks
    With TB?

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

With TB?
    nah still gotta track down a TB.... but still a good deal..

Red
    2001 ws6

ws6store has the tb also

nah still gotta track down a TB.... but still a good deal..
    That is a deal alright, payed $850 for mine new. I would not recommend the FAST TB, has issues with the butterfly and bad throttle stick. Try NickWilliams or BBK.

Red
    2001 ws6

ya they got the nick williams

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Click for full size
    what is the source of that graph? im like suede, anyone could have made that in mspaint.

dont get me wrong, i do like the idea of jaam mod. but the ones ive seen look cheap and, for what they are, i would not pay $175 for a piece of foam and an aluminum plate.

i would say, in theory, the volant with a homemade jaam-like bottom plate would be the best setup.

what is the source of that graph? im like suede, anyone could have made that in mspaint.

dont get me wrong, i do like the idea of jaam mod. but the ones ive seen look cheap and, for what they are, i would not pay $175 for a piece of foam and an aluminum plate.

i would say, in theory, the volant with a homemade jaam-like bottom plate would be the best setup.
    You think I made the graph up is that what you're saying? I already posted the URL how much more do you want?

I agree with you on the price too expensive, I've been planning to fab up my own for awhile.

You think I made the graph up is that what you're saying? I already posted the URL how much more do you want?

I agree with you on the price too expensive, I've been planning to fab up my own for awhile.
    im not sayin you made it . . . just that its doesn't look very credible thats all. but that doesn't mean the data is inaccurate.

if someone made the bottom air diverter for less than $40 bucks, id buy it.
    Last edited by GULLETT17; 01-30-2009 at 12:23 PM.

if someone made the bottom air diverter for less than $40 bucks, id buy it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information