Kooks headers and ypipe

This is a discussion on Kooks headers and ypipe within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; what are your experiences with Kooks headers and Ypipes. im looking at 98-99 headers with air and egr and Ypipe ...

Blue
    1999 Formula

Kooks headers and ypipe

what are your experiences with Kooks headers and Ypipes. im looking at 98-99 headers with air and egr and Ypipe with manga flow cats. im also not overly concerend about them being a little more cause of stainless. for right now i want to keep the car with emissions(i can always gut the cats later on) but im unsure where i am gunna live when i get back from iraq and get out the army so emissions is something i want. I am gunna do a GMMG catback. i have a buddy with a 99 aniversiry TA with it headers and a ypipe not same brand i dont think but i love the sound

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by Kavslayer
    what are your experiences with Kooks headers and Ypipes....
    Kooks is considered by many, including myself, to be the best. Superb product, and even more superb service...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I don't have the y-pipe...but I LOVE my Kooks longtubes.

Black
    2002 ss Convertible

I just received my Kooks headers Very nice quality. I also have the ss Y pipe with Magnaflow cats. I bought the GMMG catback about a year ago, so I'm all set there. I'm still in the process of installing the headers. I can't wait to get my SS back on the road. Will post results.

Blue
    1999 Formula

JD keep me informed man.

I think ill get my exhaust when i get back form iraq as a christmas present for meself. thanks guys

black
    98 Formula

I have the same setup your looking at, the Kooks headers with the catted y pipe. Sounds great, driver side header is a motherf***er to get in. Driver side cat rattles against the floor board a little bit on acceleration. But overall, I can say i'm verry happy with em.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Kavslayer View Post
    JD keep me informed man.

I think ill get my exhaust when i get back form iraq as a christmas present for meself. thanks guys
    you deserve it!

Blue
    1999 Formula

Ruthie- any tips on install on the DS since you said its a MOFO?

ZOSO- Thanks man

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    I have the same setup your looking at, the Kooks headers with the catted y pipe. Sounds great, driver side header is a motherf***er to get in. Driver side cat rattles against the floor board a little bit on acceleration. But overall, I can say i'm verry happy with em.
    Did you do the poly motor and trans mounts? I was planning on putting them in before I get the headers. I'm hoping I won't have the floor board banging then.

black
    98 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Did you do the poly motor and trans mounts? I was planning on putting them in before I get the headers. I'm hoping I won't have the floor board banging then.
    No didn't do motor and trany mounts, ran out of money. I did most of the suspension at the same time, used poly bushings on them though. The banging isn't that bad though only happens once and a while. Maby i'll put motor mounts on the soon to do list.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    No didn't do motor and trany mounts, ran out of money. I did most of the suspension at the same time, used poly bushings on them though. The banging isn't that bad though only happens once and a while. Maby i'll put motor mounts on the soon to do list.
    If you do the mounts let me know if they work. If they don't I won't bother with them.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

sry to get off topic just a lil bit...but since the weather has FINIALY gotten nice ive had the car out all week......been gettin on it pretty hard here and there...well my neibor was outside wavin to me as i pullled in the other day...he stopped over and said my exhaust was hangin pretty low.....i check underneath and notice my STOCK y pipe IS hanging quite low....didnt used to....i lift the car up and check it out..everything is tight....my only aftermarket exhaust mod is the cat back borla..what the hell happend? im assuming from gettin all over it maybe i bent the y pipe from the engine tourqing??? u guys mentioning the poly motor/trannny mounts made me think of this....what do u think? thanks.....oh and it hangs prolly about 3 inches from the floor boards...so its proly about 3 off the ground as well.....def would like it tucked up more........i would replace it with an aftermarket y pipe but i planning headers in the future...just not now as i jsut purchased konis and strano springs.

black
    98 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Kavslayer View Post
    Ruthie- any tips on install on the DS since you said its a MOFO?

ZOSO- Thanks man
    Removing the steering linkage gives you some extra room to work with. Other than that a lot of Patience.

Chameleon
    1999 Trans Am

For the driver's side I was told that it was designed to go in vertically with it at 90 degrees and then rotate it once it is up there but i couldn't get the car high to do that so I removed the steering linkage, supported the engine unbolted the motor mount on that side and slid it forward to get enough clearance to get the header in.

hugger orange, silver
    1999ss 2000z-28

Kooks

Quote Originally Posted by bigcraig987 View Post
    For the driver's side I was told that it was designed to go in vertically with it at 90 degrees and then rotate it once it is up there but i couldn't get the car high to do that so I removed the steering linkage, supported the engine unbolted the motor mount on that side and slid it forward to get enough clearance to get the header in.
    i agree, i had to do the same thing. WHAT A BEEEOOOTCH!!!

Black
    2002 ss Convertible

What a pain in the ass!!!!!!
    Just finished my install. Kooks w/catted Y. Put in some new plugs and MSD wires while I was there. When I fired it up the sound made it all worth while.
    This thing sounds mean as hell!!!

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

I got the kooks lt with there ory pipe followed by a Corsa catback. The quality of all the pieces was absolutly incredible. When all together they don't mesh so well. I blame a lot of the problems on the shop that did the install. I have all kind of fitment issues and pipes making contact with the steering linkage, subframe, floorboard, and rear axle. I've tried but I cannot fix it. Hope that I can find a descent exhaust shop that will work on it for me. Just my experience. Other than that I love the setup. Sounds like a nascar.

Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

Kook's #1, end of discussion.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetta View Post
    Kook's #1, end of discussion.
    +1 I just installed mine. It was very easy...both sides went right up.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by jd2002ss View Post
    What a pain in the ass!!!!!!
    Just finished my install. Kooks w/catted Y. Put in some new plugs and MSD wires while I was there. When I fired it up the sound made it all worth while.
    This thing sounds mean as hell!!!
    That is hilarious, I felt exactly the same way... horrible install, and loving the sound afterward.

Thread Information