black
    02 z28 camaro

knn fipk n bad mpg???

Its really been a while. Seems like yrs since Ive been here, oh well.

Ive had my 02z for about 5yrs now and just got around to installing a used (but great shape) knn fipk. When I brought the car from Austin, TX, I drove it about 75mph, varying 65-80mph, n i got 26mpg. I still used to get 26mpg on highway. Highway/city driving i get 13/14mpgs. Per 1/4 tank I would see 60 miles on the spot, well now im getting 40-44 miles after knn fipk. Im truly dumbfounded by this...sucks. Maybe my math is wrong but if i go 60 miles per 1/4 tank then a full tank should give me around 240 miles, now its down to 180-200 miles. Can someone explain or should i remove TBspacer and leave the knn fipk or remove the knn and leave my TBspacer???

Mods are dummy cats, AIR removal, TB coolant bypass, TB spacer and recently...knn fipk

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Easiest thing would be to take the FIPK off and see if your mpg improves. You might also want to try cleaning your MAF. Did you clean the K&N filter and oil it before you installed it? If so, you may have gotten oil on your MAF, which isn't good. I ditched my K&N filter that I had and installed a good paper one with my lid setup. Do some reading on here about K&N filters and decide if you want to keep using it. You might also try running an entire tank of fuel through your car and look to see what your actual mileage is.

Also, when is the last time you changed plugs and wires or changed your fuel filter?
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Also...has that car been tuned since the mods? If not, that could be the culprit.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Also...has that car been tuned since the mods? If not, that could be the culprit.
    I think this is more likely the culprit. I got 26-27 with mine before I did anything to it, then when I put on a catback and opened up the plastic tray under lid, it dropped to 22.5. With just that little addition, it needed a tune. BTW, cleaning the MAF is always a good idea.

black
    02 z28 camaro

When I installed the fipk it wasnt too dirty. At first I thought it was that but then I cleaned it and mpg improved by 1-2. MAF, spark plugs, wires are about a yr over due, so yea, I have to that soon. As for the tune, I wanted to wait for headers and 3in exhaust. Ill do the MAF and plugs this weekend and ill see about the wires. The tune will have to wait a bit longer...

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

I'd have to assume it's the tune as well. I have the volant ram air kit with 2 knn filters. 80mm bbk tb and used to just be cat back slp lm2 exhaust and in town I was getting 19-20 and highway was 28-30. After long tubes and another tune I'm getting about 20-21 in town. Haven't been on the highway much. I'm also thinking of ditching the knn filters

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Another thing, if you keep the K&N, clean it and re-oil it and wrap it in newspaper to soak up any excess oil. When I clean mine, I lightly oil each pleat and let the oil soak in.

Thread Information