K&N stock Lid vs SLP Lid/Other CAI ?

This is a discussion on K&N stock Lid vs SLP Lid/Other CAI ? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; How bad is the stock housing? Was thinking to add a K&N or another filter but leave the housing etc. ...

SOM
    2002 SS

K&N stock Lid vs SLP Lid/Other CAI ?

How bad is the stock housing? Was thinking to add a K&N or another filter but leave the housing etc. Is a cold air lid worth the price?

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

An aftermarket lid like the slp for example, provides a straighter path for the airflow, which in turn keeps the air speed higher which is what gives you a little more power. On my manual car i also noticed a little better throttle response, again because of what i mentioned above. A cold air setup like the fast toys ram air, pics up cooler denser air from out in front of your car instead of the hot air in you engine bay. You can search for these parts used and get a good deal on them. I bought an slp lid off my buddy who sold his car for 50 bucks, compared to the 100 which they cost brand new.

you are better off buying a lid with a paper filter then useing the stock set up with a k&n filter

SOM
    2002 SS

So stock they breathe through the engine compartment still? Tomorrow I'm going to tear it apart and get familiar with this sucker. Looks like a slp lid and filter are in order. Does the slp lid use the same stock filter #? I'll probably go with a green filter.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Yes. Thats a good idea, like that you can familiarize yourself with everything and how it works. As far as i know any filter that works with the stock lid should work with the slp. Also, if youre on a budget you could do the free ram air mod.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
    Last edited by RAWPWR3; 05-10-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Blue
    99 Camaro Z28

yes slp/MTI lids are a cheap mod that real easy. hard to mess this one up. can find used for 60 to 80 bucks on ebay. I went with the clear mti lid and Accel cool blue filter. just like k&n but was twenty bucks

SOM
    2002 SS

I can see that the stock lid has a little section that it breathes out of at the front. WHere does the mti lid breathe out of? Can't the stocker just be opened up? the other tubing is all there to cancel the resonance frequencies of the intake noise which of course I would prefer to hear but really causes no harm to airflow.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I did the free mod for my air lip this past week end, so far I have notice a gain, but I would have to throw it on a dyno to be sure...

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    I can see that the stock lid has a little section that it breathes out of at the front. WHere does the mti lid breathe out of? Can't the stocker just be opened up? the other tubing is all there to cancel the resonance frequencies of the intake noise which of course I would prefer to hear but really causes no harm to airflow.
    The baffles are there as you mentioned to cut down on intake noises,,,but it does also cause turbulance in the process which disrupts the airflow. Also you will notice on the underside of the stock lid there are many ribs molded into the plastic, again to keep noise to a minimum,,,doesn't help the airflow though.
    Lastly,,you also notice the entrance before the throttle body opening is rather flat with very little space. The aftermarket lids have a larger area here making it easier for the airflow to make the turn into the throttle body area,,,the ribs underneath are gone as well as the baffling, and even the sides make a smoother transition to the throttle body.
    The aftermarket lids will still breath out of the front, but the improvements to the lid themselves that I mentioned still makes it a worthwhile bolt on that usually gives a few HP. You can even go as far as the free ramair mod buy opening up the lower shroud that encases the condensor,,,so it pulls air up from the lower air dam as well. This takes a little trimming but when everything is installed it's undetectable.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I did the free mod for my air lip this past week end, so far I have notice a gain, but I would have to throw it on a dyno to be sure...
    Take it to the track and find out,,,that's what I did. You can simply remove the filter at the track,,,bring a roll of duct tape and close it all off forcing the lid to work at the front only. Make a few passes. Then pull the tape off and make a few more passes.

This mod is hard to varify on the dyno since the car moving through the air is alot of what forces the air through it. I'm not real sure the big fans would accomplish exactly the same thing.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    you are better off buying a lid with a paper filter then useing the stock set up with a k&n filter

I took Sarge's advice and when I installed my new lid last weekend went with an Amsoil Ea Air Filter. You can check them out at http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx CompSyn is a site sponsor and you can also inquire through them. Amsoil was running a special by one get one free. Not sure if this promo is still valid...

Post EaA

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I took Sarge's advice and when I installed my new lid last weekend went with an Amsoil Ea Air Filter. You can check them out at http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx CompSyn is a site sponsor and you can also inquire through them. Amsoil was running a special by one get one free. Not sure if this promo is still valid...
    Fixed the link for you...

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx?zo=1606470

CompSyn
    Last edited by CompSyn; 05-13-2009 at 06:40 PM.

SOM
    2002 SS

Interesting. I am no expert here but I don't believe those resonance chanbers provide any restriction or turbulence. Im exhaust systems like corsa and others the chambers are actually there for the sound waves to cancel out. air is being sucked inside by the vaccum not pushed inside. If anything I believe the extra volume inside there (if its bigger than an aftermarket lid) actually will provide better throttle response because there is more available air behind the restriction of the filter on throttle tip-in.

I would have just ordered a lid or intake system but the wife made me cut up my credit card lol I'm more than happy so far with how the z is turning out with the wheels/rims and little mods so i'll just be patient and get a lid when funds are available. I'll pick up a k&n in the meantime.

any links to this free ram air mod? I'm interested.

Thread Information