silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

K-n-N vs paper air filter

I thought I'd give a paper air filter a try after having a K-n-N filter in the car after 5 years, cleaning and restoring it and having the "check engine light" come on for no reason at all and after a few days it goes out.

If you accidently over oil the filter the extra oil goes on the MAF and that's when the "check engine light" comes on, if you don't spray enough oil on then it won't do what it meant to do.

I think the K-n-N filter was great in the past when car didn't have all these sencors.

Whats everyone else"s thoughts on this?

I've never had a single problem with them, in any car. I prefer the cleanable/reusable filters simply because too many cars to go buying filters for all the time. Some of them are K&N and some of them are Amsoil cleanable filters.

Amsoil filters are nice because they don't use or require oil, just blow them out and reinstall. However oiling the K&N's has never been a big deal to me either. Just always paid attention to the amount of oil sprayed on and never a problem with MAF sensors (when I had MAF's).

On a side note, I don't run MAF's anymore either. Any LS engine I've had gets a speed density tune and the MAF is thrown in the trash.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I quit running K&N air filters years ago. They allow too much dirt into an engine and any alleged performance gains are not worth it. I run a quality paper filter in all our DD's and other cars. The Trans Am is equipped with an Amsoil Ea dry media air filter.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I had a brand new K&N Filter right out of the box mess up a MAF like 5 or 6 years ago and I never touched one again.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I run an oiled filter several cars over the years. Ive always kept the stock filter in the k&n box and every year or so I'll lightly re-oil and put the stock filter back in leaving the other some extra time to dry.

They make some really good dry performance filters now. If i hadn't gotten such a good deal on my Volant i would've probably been running a dry filter.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I love K&N oil filters though.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I do use those on occasion.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I switched from K&N (came with the car) to paper after having cleaned the thing several times and then not having any power/torque below 2500 (literally, there was no engine response from idle... like 1.5 - 2.0 seconds of "lag") because I could never get the thing clean enough. When I swapped to paper, the car behaved properly. Though, I'm curious about these Amsoil filters I'm reading about in this thread.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I installed an Ea in our car probably 4 years ago. Here is a good test of air filters that clearly demonstrates how much more dirt passes through an oiled cotton gauze style air filter. Note that in this test, the Amsoil filter is NOT a dry media Ea filter -- it is an older style oiled media filter and acts much like a K&N.

Here is the link: Filtration Testing for Amsoil, K&N, Napa, Jackson Racing, Baldwin, and Mazda air filters on a Miata

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I installed an Ea in our car probably 4 years ago. Here is a good test of air filters that clearly demonstrates how much more dirt passes through an oiled cotton gauze style air filter. Note that in this test, the Amsoil filter is NOT a dry media Ea filter -- it is an older style oiled media filter and acts much like a K&N.

Here is the link: Filtration Testing for Amsoil, K&N, Napa, Jackson Racing, Baldwin, and Mazda air filters on a Miata

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I'm not surprised.

I did a dyno run in school with K&N and the power actually went down, though there may have been other variables, but I can't remember. It was on an old 350 with heads/cam and bolt-ons strapped to a T-bucket.

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post

Sadly Amsoil has discontinued their Ea air filters, I still have one for the C5 currently..

They never really had that many to choose from anyway. They seemed to only cater to new cars, European stuff etc.. and didn't have much of anything for you in a direct fit application if the car was more than 10 years old.

I like Amsoil, preferred customer, and use their oil exclusively, but I've always thought they needed to expand their air filter line and tap into the classic car world too. They never did.

I think that's a big reason why K&N is still around and so popular. I can get air filters from them that fit oddball stuff like my SCJ shaker assembly, or the ram air pan on my 70 formula. Both of these cars are hard to find just a simple paper filter for, no one stocks them. Call up K&N and there it is.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I had a '76 Ford courier. After I bought I went to buy an air filter and all they had was K&N. Paid $200 for the truck. Then, paid $50 for an air filter.

Thread Information