Snake Eater

K&N filter along with plug/wires

Hi when I purchase my airlid I didn't purchase a k&n. do I really need this filter? isn't there already a stock k&n filter below the stock airbox where the lid goes? is this what you all refer to as the k&n lid or are you all talking about the little filter that must installed with some lids?

I have not yet purchase any new/aftermarket plugs and wires.. should this be a must?

CamaroKillZ28
    No there is no K&N filter below the stock air lid. The k&n is red and black the stock one is just plain white! its an aftermarket part on most f-bodys. As far as the plug wires go you arent pushing enough horsepower to justify an upgrade to this.

Snake Eater
    okay thanks! but is the aftermarket k&n really needed?

I ordered one with my lid back in '01, still using the same one w/o any problems. But to answer your question, no - stock air filter will do just fine.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The Fram Air Hog is the same kind of filter as the K+N(oiled gauze) but at about half the price.When your stock one needs replacement you can upgrade to a better filter-but it won't give any horsepower increase-just a better filter(at least that is true on the F-bodies).When the stock plugs and wires wear out upgrade them also if you want.

Black
    1999 Z28 Camaro

K&N gets alot of metions because its one of the biggset names in air filters. There are tons of other "high flow" filters out there besides K&N I have had a K&N on all my Z28's i like them but Im not sure why probably cause I heard of them first

Snake Eater
    thanks all

BlackHawk T/A
    Wasn't there a thread a while back about dirt building up in people's motors with K&N filters?

CamaroKillZ28
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
    Wasn't there a thread a while back about dirt building up in people's motors with K&N filters?
    Yah there is going to be dirt build up if you dont clean the filter, just because its a k&n doesnt mean you dont clean the thing, you just dont throw it away

BlackHawk T/A
    Quote Originally Posted by CamaroKillZ28
    Yah there is going to be dirt build up if you dont clean the filter, just because its a k&n doesnt mean you dont clean the thing, you just dont throw it away
    Now you don't need to talk to me like I don't know what it is, I had one on a carbed 307 Stroker motor a few years back...

I just remember some people complaining about more dirt getting past it than the stock filter, and even some going back to the stock filter just for better protection even if it does flow less. If anyone has experienced this now would be the time to chime in.

motrhed400
    Did you guys notice a differance in power or gas milage with the k&n?

Thread Information