Thread: K&N air filter?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

K&N air filter?

Has anyone here ever actually dynoed a LS1 car before & after a K&N filter install to see how well they really perform?

I'm also very interested in knowing if anyone has experienced any ET/MPH variances after a K&N install.

Most everyone I've spoken with has added a K&N WITH another mod, and no one knows what portion of their gain the K&N was. I would expect to see some improvement, but I think it is overestimated by most.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Are you talking just a filter that replaces the one in the airbox or a cold air intake setup?
    I believe both flow better than the stock one that's in the box, but how much I don't know. I know the K&N website shows dyno numbers before and after for the applications that they offer. Like the 93-97 CAI gained 14 RWHP over stock. But that is up to huge debate about dyno factors and the such. But everything I think will be in agreement that almost anything flows better over stock.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Almost any cold air package (K&N or homemade) would obviously flow better than a non cold air package on the same vehicle. Changing older cars to open elements from the factory air boxes made a noticeable improvement at the rear wheels, with or without K&Ns. I went open element in my SS and improved mileage and power significantly. When I changed the 14x4 Fram to a K&N it wasn't noticeable, and I felt like I wasted $40.

All of the actual dynos and ETs I've seen posted seem to claim 10-50 rear wheel horsepower, but there were more mods made in each case than just a K&N filter. The K&N may factor in there somewhere, but generally the cold air package, porting or whatever else was done at the same time accounts for quite a bit of the difference too.

What I really want to know is, apples to apples, what is the gain of the actual filter to the rear wheels (HP/Torque/ET improvement), without other changes. And even more specifically, what are the effects on a LS1 F-Body? I don't want to waste money that could go to something better (catbacks, headers, etc).

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well in a MAF environment.....I wouls say very very little would be gained as you would be adding fuel to the new found air flow....and with no other mods you would realize very little if any gains. Now in a Heads/Cam car or a power adder car the CAI is a must to provide the additional air flow required by the mods....

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27757

Oops, missed this one... Guess that answers that...

SILVER GT + RED WS6
    1990 5.0 GT + 2000 WS6

any aftermarked filter is better than stock! But who knows what the actual numbers are?

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by Pro50gt View Post
    any aftermarked filter is better than stock! But who knows what the actual numbers are?
    Wrong. I switched out the stock Fram vs. K&N vs. NO filter back to back on the dyno. Less than 2HP difference between the three... The flat-panel K&N also fit like crap, so I threw it away.

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by danziger View Post
    Wrong. I switched out the stock Fram vs. K&N vs. NO filter back to back on the dyno. Less than 2HP difference between the three... The flat-panel K&N also fit like crap, so I threw it away.

Well of course w/o a filter on your going to get more HP because there is no restrictions from the air going into your lid to the engine...

Thread Information