Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just switched to magnaflow vs Flowmaster

This is a discussion on Just switched to magnaflow vs Flowmaster within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU just do the work yourself its not that hard and its a whole lot cheaper not ...

2006 TrailBlazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU
    just do the work yourself

its not that hard and its a whole lot cheaper

not to mention you actually put some work into your car

I would love to but i live in the city and working on the street just is not gona work.If I had a driveway that would be a different story.To many theifs in the city.After i get the work done i have to find a place to store it.

Does anyone know if you can increase your theft insurance for items you put into the vehicle....such as.....engines...bodywork....upgrades?
    I hate having a $3000 car and putting $6000 worth of work into it and if its ever stolen the insurance company wants to give you shit for it.

BLUE
    99 Z28

it dont take but about 2 hours to put headers on so your mechanic dont know what he is talking about and if you want loud put the slp loud mouth on you car i think flomaster and magnaflow is trash

2006 TrailBlazer SS

OK....I came across an exhaust from Texas speed and performance....
    Has anyone used these or can give their IMO

You can hear it at http://www.ls1sounds.com/tsp_rumbler.htm

I check into the price its only $280.00 http://texas-speed.com/item_detail.asp?ProductID=1154

not bad for a cat back...I think it sounds pretty good.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

Flowmaster is the meanest sounding exhaust ever, the 80 series anyway. It sounds great at idle and WOT.

gun blue
    2005 Hummer H2 SUT

can't decide

Hey all. Sup?

I got a little issue... No idea how to choose.

Got a 2005 Hummer H2 SUT. I've modded most of it already, but now am doing the exhaust. Stuck between the magna flow and the flowmaster. I want a deep tough sound, rumble at idle, muscle at accel, yet not overbearing during cruising so people can watch movies or listen to music while travelling.

Bottom line: It's gotta sound tough. Price has to be reasonable as well.

Any help here would be great. thanks.

Nothing wrong with flowmaster. That is alot of internet hype. You can switch from flowmaster, magnaflow, spintech, dynomax, etc....
    You will find the car will perform nearly identical. The only difference between the crossflow mufflers is sound.

We switched about 9 different cat backs on my friends 11 second car looking for the best one,,,,the car always ran the same when sticking with single 3 inch catbacks. Could never break 118 mph.

It wasn't until we switched to the 4 inch Mufflex catback when the car picked up and went 121 mph. Didn't matter if we had the flowmaster or the spintech muffler hanging off the back of it.
    We found it was the pipe diameter and design that made the difference,,,the muffler choice didn't do a damn thing.

When it comes to 3 inch catbacks, just choose the sound you like the best and be happy with it.

I've done the same thing on my chevelle, with a real dual system. I've had several mufflers over the years on the car. Wasn't till I switched from a 2 1/2 inch dual system with mandrel bends,,,,,over to a 3 inch system with mandrel bends,,,that I found some speed.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

you want loud then go with longtube headers ORY and slp loudmouth, thats about the loudest you can get. a lil too loud if you ask me, the loudmouth sounded good before i put longtubes on but now its just crazy loud.

Trans Am owner
    former

the magnaflow gets luder after about 2 weeks

its a NOTICEABLE louder too. trust me, you'll like it.

pewter
    2000 TA WS6

If louder is what you're looking for, try the SLP loudmouth muffler, or resonater, whatever they call it. All it is is an oversized pipe. No baffles or chambers. It sounds awesome but you would have to change the pipes after because it's installed in front of the axle. The catback system is rather easy to install.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by blk_jaws View Post
    Flowmaster is the meanest sounding exhaust ever, the 80 series anyway. It sounds great at idle and WOT.

you cant be serious? are you? i got a flowmaster CB here ill let go for 100 bucks if you like it that much

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by delinquent543 View Post
    i have the same problem, i live near boston and the mechanic i use said not to get headers cuz the install was a bitch... convinced me to just get a flowmaster and keep it at that. The muffler does sound nice, but now i dont know what route to go with my exhaust. Headers and a y pipe seem like the way to go, but did i waste my money on the muffler? im wondering if i should just leave it on, and get headers and an ypipe, dothe install myself and hope it sounds and flows nice.. i like it really loud, so maybe i should put on an slp loudmouth with headers and a ypipe? too raspy? i just dont know...
    Do the headers yourself...the drivers side was the only difficult part for me (removal not included, 20mins to put in the passenger - 2.5hrs to do the drivers). Also, the plugs and wires only took 20 mins to do with the new headers!

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Magnaflows are very good mufflers, they flow excellent and sound awesome at WOT, especially with a cut out since that was my set up on my last camaro. The quality is also very good as well. Id put on a exhuat cut out and down the road when you buy LT's you will love the way it sounds with the Magnaflows.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by culookn View Post
    whats so badd about flowmaster? i thought they were #1 in the exhaust industry.
    They most likely are. But Im sure its because they are inexpensive and available for every make and model out there. Not because they last long. They have a sound that universaly appeals to most people.

SOM / NBM
    2002 Pro Z28/2001 TurboTA

Quote Originally Posted by blastmaster View Post
    Hey all. Sup?

I got a little issue... No idea how to choose.

Got a 2005 Hummer H2 SUT. I've modded most of it already, but now am doing the exhaust. Stuck between the magna flow and the flowmaster. I want a deep tough sound, rumble at idle, muscle at accel, yet not overbearing during cruising so people can watch movies or listen to music while travelling.

Bottom line: It's gotta sound tough. Price has to be reasonable as well.

Any help here would be great. thanks.

Seems like you signed into the wrong forum J/K but seriously TV and music lol to us LS1 guys the exhaust is the music. BTW: Hummer seriously i bet it has "DUBS" right

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

I have a 3" madrel bend system to a 40 series flowmaster and dumped straight off the muffler. I love the sound, and I think it's better than the 80 series catback built for F-bodies.

Here's a couple vids, the quality isn't awesome, keep in mind these VIDEOS were taken from a point and shoot Kodak EasyShare...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

You guys need to get specific about the flowmaster. Its the 80s series that sucks balls for performance. That what gives it its bad rep.

Now you get the loudness at idle of a flowmaster and the performance of open headers..

CUTOUT FTW!!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=54742993

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by devil6rr View Post
    BTW: Hummer seriously i bet it has "DUBS" right
    seriously not needed...he didn't ask you for your opinion on his car

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Flowmaster doesn't suck, be fair guys, and power and sound depend on the muffler you run anyways. Keep in mind that the magnaflows are more expensive, so even if you get less power from the flowmaster it comes justified.

Besides, how much power is there to be gained by switching from flowmaster to magnaflow anyway? If its not significant its probably not enough to justify sacrificing the sound quality you want. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Besides, how much power is there to be gained by switching from flowmaster to magnaflow anyway?
    Not enough to worry about so long as the rest of the system remains the same,,,you won't see anything really. We could never find any difference in performance at the track between many mufflers.

If on a dyno I would venture to say you might see the HP move around 2-3 at the most between various mufflers,,,,but it's definately not enough to see any gain or loss at the track. We could never justify the claims that people make in the internet.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Nothing wrong with flowmaster. That is alot of internet hype. You can switch from flowmaster, magnaflow, spintech, dynomax, etc....
    You will find the car will perform nearly identical. The only difference between the crossflow mufflers is sound.

We switched about 9 different cat backs on my friends 11 second car looking for the best one,,,,the car always ran the same when sticking with single 3 inch catbacks. Could never break 118 mph.

It wasn't until we switched to the 4 inch Mufflex catback when the car picked up and went 121 mph. Didn't matter if we had the flowmaster or the spintech muffler hanging off the back of it.
    We found it was the pipe diameter and design that made the difference,,,the muffler choice didn't do a damn thing.

When it comes to 3 inch catbacks, just choose the sound you like the best and be happy with it.

I've done the same thing on my chevelle, with a real dual system. I've had several mufflers over the years on the car. Wasn't till I switched from a 2 1/2 inch dual system with mandrel bends,,,,,over to a 3 inch system with mandrel bends,,,that I found some speed.
    Mufflex "style" custom fabbed up exhuast here. 4" pipe, mandrel bent. Very nice looking exhuast.Sounds great, and Im SURE it flows great. I would trade any part of my exhuast for any other. I love it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information