Just ordered my headers and ORY

This is a discussion on Just ordered my headers and ORY within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Making a list of what else I need to install them and delete my air system list I have so ...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Just ordered my headers and ORY

Making a list of what else I need to install them and delete my air system

list I have so far
    Bosch P/N 13111 O2 sensor
    Mail order tune from frost (more questions on the later)
    Probably go with stage 8 hardware for the headers
    new metal gaskets are coming with the headers
    Spark plugs
    Need the PN for the plug to block off the hole in the side of my slp lid, I think pajeff02 posted the part number at some point but I could not find it for the life of me now.

Thats what I got for now, anything I'm missing?

As for the mail order tune, what all should I include? I know the air system delete and I'm running no cats so the rear O2 delete as well. Is there anything else I should add?

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Shermanator86; 05-11-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    '01 SS hardtop 6-speed - SLP lid and smooth bellows, Magnaflow catback, TSP LT's and ORY, Tune by Frost, Founders LCA's and RB's, UMI 2 pt SFC's, Fays2 Watts link, Strano front and rear sway bars- Strano springs and Bilsteins coming soon

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Hope you bought two O2 senders!

I went with the Stage 8 fasteners and they work well. I did grind the tabs on a few of them, went just past the recommended torque and them backed them off a smidge so that the tab contacted the header. This prevents the tabs from rattling. I doubt you would be able to hear them, but I am kind of fussy with stuff like that. I would add to your list a set of new GM exhaust gaskets. I tossed the gaskets that came with my Kooks. Also, a set of DEI spark plug boots is not a bad investment with headers. The P/N for the rubber plug is in this thread: Secondary Air: Diagnosing and Removal

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Forgot to add -- post some pics of the installation!

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

sounds like you have the supplies and the outline well covered. my recommendation as someone who completed his header install yesterday...make sure that your jack can get to at least 22" height otherwise you will find yourself in a world of hurt.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Good luck with the header install. Better you then me. lol
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Hope you bought two O2 senders!

I went with the Stage 8 fasteners and they work well. I did grind the tabs on a few of them, went just past the recommended torque and them backed them off a smidge so that the tab contacted the header. This prevents the tabs from rattling. I doubt you would be able to hear them, but I am kind of fussy with stuff like that. I would add to your list a set of new GM exhaust gaskets. I tossed the gaskets that came with my Kooks. Also, a set of DEI spark plug boots is not a bad investment with headers. The P/N for the rubber plug is in this thread: Secondary Air: Diagnosing and Removal
    Havnt got anything yet, just getting my list around while they are shiping out. Thanks for the link I couldn't remember where I saw that at. And I'll be sure to get some pics, I'll be using my buddy's dad's lift so hopefully that saves a headache or two

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Oh and the new GM gaskets are the ones that are coming with the headers from tsp

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That works!

When you remove your stock manifolds, go easy on the bolts. If it feels like one is coming out tight, or gets tighter as you try to back it out -- STOP! On any of them that felt a little off, I would carefully turn it in and then back out out a little at a time until it freed up. You can also go to another bolt and then come back to the one that feels stuck as it may be binding against the manifold. You don't want to break a bolt or pull the threads out of the head...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

just checked the tracking number and they should be here thursday, so hopefully we can get them on this weekend. My roommate works at an auto parts store so I'll be going in tonight and getting the other stuff needed. The next question is how long can I drive around with the car not tuned? My buddy is borrowing my back up car for the time being so I don't know when I'll be able to send out my pcm to get tuned yet, I am I running a risk of hurting anything running with out a tune?

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Might want to go ahead and do motor mounts while doing headers.

I just put TSP headers in over the weekend. On either side I jacked the motor about an inch above the motor mount and they slid in with out a problem. I did have to remove the oil filter on the driver's side.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You won't hurt anything driving it -- initially, your fueling will be off but will adjust somewhat based upon feedback from closed loop operation. Essentially, a tune will re-write your VE table to take into account the fact that your engine will breathe better with headers.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by Shermanator86 View Post
    just checked the tracking number and they should be here thursday, so hopefully we can get them on this weekend. My roommate works at an auto parts store so I'll be going in tonight and getting the other stuff needed. The next question is how long can I drive around with the car not tuned? My buddy is borrowing my back up car for the time being so I don't know when I'll be able to send out my pcm to get tuned yet, I am I running a risk of hurting anything running with out a tune?
    I finished mine little less than a month ago I don't use it everyday but it runs just fine. Sending my PCM down Monday. Make sure you have deepwell metric sockets and a few ratchet wrenches with a swivel head(at least a 10mm), some PB blaster, and last but not least a pair of mechanic gloves, box of bandaids and some tape for your mouth if you have any young kids around good luck you will love it only after it is done

98 Formula
    06 duramax

stage 8 bolts IMO are a waste of money and a huge pain in the ass. I bought stage 8 bolts and ended up throwing the locks in a drawer where they still sit 6 years later. Anti-seize your plugs and what not. I would do a plug change while you have everything torn down but don't put the plugs in until the headers are bolted up. If you're keeping your plugs then pull them prior to pulling manifolds or putting headers in. Read many many times where people have done headers then had an issue and it's a cracked plug from where they hit it with the header. Also make sure you zip tie all the wires up where they can't get on a header. Headers hate wires and bill burn them every chance they get.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I thought the Stage 8's were good insurance and it wasn't difficult to modify the tabs for a perfect fit against the header tubes. In either event, I would still use a stainless bolt for the headers to avoid corrosion.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Thanks guys, headers came yesterday and look great. I will be going to the parts store today to pick up the rest of the stuff I need then hope to get out to my roommates dad's shop tomorrow to use the lift.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

i would definitely replace the motor mounts...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    i would definitely replace the motor mounts...
    The car only has 50k mi on it, is it really needed to replace them?

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Shermanator86 View Post
    The car only has 50k mi on it, is it really needed to replace them?
    I have 122mi and don't at this time have any issues, I think it would be easier with the headers and stuff already off, but like many people you just don't have the funds to keep putting parts on! A buck here and there add up, like me somethings have to wait for another day....

Silver

On the bolt issue I got some new bolts from the dealer I think thay were .57cents a bolt you need 12, use some anti-seize and run it up to temp then let it cool and retorq, I went One(1) pound more, don't go cranking you will smash the metal gasket or worse break a bolt then you will have a leak..Alot of my buddies that have headers on their cars told me to do this and you will never have any issues..you could also drill the head and safty wire them that is how we did our late model race car never had any issues

Thread Information